Builds Megadoomer Build (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

When I had my LS expertly tuned, the tuner told me that the fuel pump I had was dropping off at around 4500 rpm. When I bought that pump, it was to run the tired ol 350 and the TBI. I chose to buy the V6 Camaro pump at the time and it looks like that was an issue for Future Nick. Lately I have been getting fuel issues. Was getting some hesitation and it randomly didn't want to start. I would put more gas in and it would start no problem. I was thinking that maybe the sender is not accurate but now I don't know what to think. I feel like I might have a hose connection loose in the tank or maybe the hydramat came off the bottom of the tank and is just floating around? Either way, I think I have have Schrodinger's fuel tank. There may or may not be a connection issue inside, but as soon as I crack it open, there will be an issue inside. I have bought a V8 high output pump and it should be here tomorrow. I would like this to start every time when I go to Flagstaff next week.

It is an in tank pump from a 99 Camaro. It is the typical GM style that has springs and will collapse several inches to fit your tank height. Then there is a hose that comes out of the bottom of the pump and goes to the hydromat. I made the hose long enough to go from the pump to the mat. I really wish I made it a lot longer so I could pull the pump out from the top and not have to mess with dropping the tank and opening the access panel I made. we shall see.

I have a new item to add to the list of things you can fix with a hammer. New pump came in on Friday and yesterday I was going to drive the pig to Steve's and begin the swap. Pig would not start. Fuel issue but there was plenty of gas in the tank. Steve told me to tap the pump with a mallet. Well kiss my grits, it started. I actually felt better that happens because it made me believe it was a pump issue and not something disconnected inside.

We tried getting the swap done through the access hatch. The hose to the hydramat is short but not too short we couldn't do the swap. It was tight and a little struggle to do it but we got it done without needing to drop the tank.

Yes, Flagstaff has some elevation. The truck has been over 10k and runs fine.

Even Steve could of told you the appropriate hammer for a fuel pump fix is not a mallet, but a claw hammer. Mallets are for shop spiders! :)
As a surveyor I swing a heavy hammer. Steve knows I'd come down hard on the pump. Probably why he suggested it. I don't even have a mallet so I hit one of the bolts with a 32oz claw.

Bragging now!
Not a flex, just saying I don't have girly framing hammers. Its 2 or 10 pounds and that its. Steve has seen me go Thor when I could have used a bit more finesse. He told me when he worked at Ford, they all had a 2x4 in the stall just to smack the tank or fuel pump.

We also had a bit of a snipe hunt on Saturday. I had been getting an intermittent whine from the power steering pump. I bought a new one last year and never put it in after I figured out the reroute of the hydroboost. So I brought that with me just in case. Did some testing and bleed the system again and could only get it to make noise on the road and usually during articulation. I chose not to swap the pump for now.

All was good on the way home until I was 1 block from home and I start hearing to whine a lot. I get it in the driveway and pop the hood to take a look. Sound goes away. I take a look, I don't see anything and close the hood. Sound comes back. WFT!. After a few more WTFs I figure out it was the fan hitting the shroud. The hood was moving the upper support just enough to make the fan hit. And during articulation like what I was seeing before would just shift the shroud a little. So I popped the supports off and moved the radiator about 1/4 inch to the driver side, and we are good to go.

A few weeks ago I went to the overland expo in Flagstaff. I did the weekend camp tickets and stayed there from Thursday to Sunday. It was tight camp sites so you got to make friends quick. Lots of really cool setups all around and it seems my 53 year old Pig was getting most of the attention. Lots of people stopped to talk about it.

Steve and I mentioned it would probably be the only pig in the entire expo. Wrong. Literally 50 into the expo I see a nice pig at the Overland Cookery tent.
Screenshot_20230529_135457_Gallery.jpg

Lots of cool gadgets and stuff you didn't know you needed. I talked with Kurt from Cruiser Outfitters for a few, talked to some guys from Expedition Overland, and met Fred Williams.

I haven't camped in one spot without driving somewhere daily for 3 days before. I ran into some battery and charging issues with my refrigerator and my battery power station. This leads to 2 Operations approved by congress.

Operation Charge Ready:
A shout out to the EV charging station projects I have been working on, Charge ready is going to put a lifepo4 battery array in the pig. Going for 100ah or so and possibly a solar panel. Not too many details on this yet. I have to do some research and measuring.

It was cold and rainy in Flagstaff that weekend. The 5 hours of desert I drove thru both ways was already hot as balls. This leads me to the Operation.

Operation Desert Storm:
Since I have to drive through a desert anytime I want to leave the state. I want to make it more comfortable and give a chance for my AC to actually cool the inside. Step 1 is to put heat shields on the exhaust. Step 2 is to put a floor mat in the pig.

Step 1 got completed yesterday. I bought some embossed aluminum and some stainless zip ties. I cut the aluminum in 5 inch strips. I covered the top of the exhaust tube from the muffler to the header. I even had a bit left to put a cover over the mufflers.
Screenshot_20230529_135437_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230529_135414_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230529_135356_Gallery.jpg

Why the wrap and not a Shield?? Wraps promote RUST from heat🔥 and Cool🧊🧊 cycles. Is it a clearance issue??
Well, I know the actual heat wraps are bad for retaining water. I didn't think this would do that so much because there is no fiber and it is only tight on the pipe where it is clamped. I originally wanted to get spacers to pull the aluminum about 1/4 off but 1) I wasnt finding what I wanted, 2) I was getting impatient and wanted to see if it will help with heat. Attaching to the floor seemed like a logistical issue with fasteners and I didn't want to open up a chance for things, or more things to rattle.

Testing out phase 2 of Operation Desert Storm. Got these 3x4 outdoor mats from Home Deposit. They are easy to cut and I cut a hole for the roll bar and a slit down the rest to make an isthmus between the cage and door sill. Can't even see the slit cuz it rests under the bar.

This matting will mold when heated but there is a fine line between molding and melting. I plan to heat up some areas and put a sand bag down to force the shape while it cools.

I still have a foil backed pad I am going to stick to the floor so this mat is there temporarily while I mess with the shape. The back might be a challenge. Need to figure out how I want to do it. Probably going to do a mat on the lower part and separate for the next level and use the 2 bolts there to hold it in place.
Screenshot_20230601_115618_Gallery.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom