How much added weight before AHC problems--2004 Lexus LX 470? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DMG

Threads
Bought 2004 LX 470 with 175k miles. Want to add read bumper, rock sliders ,etc. but like the functional AHC. What's the threshold before causing problems? I see that some abandoned AHC due to weight and other reasons.

I don't know of anyone who has crossed a threshold. As long as your pressures are kept in spec it will function as designed.

Lots of awesome threads on the AHC topic. ‘ABCs of AHC’ is a good start and @suprarx7nut cheat sheet.
(Very)Short story is that there is a succession of spacers and springs you can use to compensate for additional weight while keeping pressure within spec.
I found that fully loaded (armor, camping gear, etc)my rear AHC pressure was on the high side 8.1MPa, and have ordered a set of king springs Ktrs-79. There are other options for heavier loads.

Bought 2004 LX 470 with 175k miles. Want to add read bumper, rock sliders ,etc. but like the functional AHC. What's the threshold before causing problems? I see that some abandoned AHC due to weight and other reasons.
There is no "threshold", but you need to adjust T-bars and change out rear springs according to your weight - just like any conventional suspension.

AHC can handle a real wide range of weight, but you have to do the simple task of setting up neutral pressure in the specified range. It's not hard, but most people don't do it. They then get annoyed/surprised/angry when AHC doesn't act normal. They should not be surprised, but they should be annoyed - annoyed that they didn't take the minimal time it takes to check and adjust neutral pressures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom