"New" Intro + Air Down Gear Up Review (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All - long time lurker and periodic poster here in IH8Mud. Have to thank this forum for turning me away from a 200 Series and into an 80. The best part about this move is that instead of being poor right away, I can be poor over time keeping my 80 on the road. Below is my small contribution to this forum.

Bought the 80 for 3 reasons: 1) needed to scratch that Land Cruiser itch ever since I saw my first one back in the early 90's, 2) I wasn't going to buy a 5th Gen 4Runner because it seemed that Toyota went backwards on the 4WD system (fully selectable 2WD or full-time 4WD in SR5 and Sport trims), 3) I sat and drove a couple 200 series from LX to LC between 2013 to 2019 and they always felt too big and a little bit "off". I don't care about multi-zone climate control, Car Play, 360 cameras, or whatever else modern cars come with because OEM implementations usually never stack up to aftermarket. 200's are still great cars and if there's one that pops up at the right price, I may still snatch it up, but I am thoroughly happy with the 80 and do not regret passing on several 200's when I was shopping and comparing.

Up until the 80, I never modified my cars from factory, so my '96 can't hold a candle to most of the builds here. I will say that my "mods" do not as of yet cost more than what I paid for my 80. Although, it is starting to add up and I'll prob cross that threshold soon. Maintenance and reliability of mechanicals...is a different story.

Current state of my 80. It serves as my daily driver:
  1. Scangauge OBDII reader - much-needed primarily for water & intake temp. Seeing real-time data is invaluable. For example over the summer, if my engine temp is too hot, I go and park it with the hood up while I have a snack.
  2. Modified Blue Fan Clutch - this was a great mod...best mod to control engine temp
  3. white with peeling hood paint - don't care... may put vents in at some point, but I am in PNW so need to double-confirm risk of water getting into engine bay from the top
  4. Metaltech Sliders - this was one of my first mods and I'm glad I got them. Angled closer to parallel to ground to also act as a step; helps with kids. Also, I've witnessed some not-so-careful parking lock door situations and I'm glad I have them. Makes me chuckle every time someone swings their door open and chips their own paint.
  5. WitsEnd - Useless Cubby everything. Definitely enjoying the new/improved version. I have not had to adjust my Ram ball arm/mount since i installed
  6. Cupholders - BH3D cupholders installed, but still not enough...who knew cupholders are that important
  7. Ceramic Tint all around EXCEPT for Windshield - amazing difference Ceramic tint makes. I need to do the windshield, but have a bulls-eye in the glass right now that was there when I bought the car. It hasn't grown at all over the past many 3 years, so may just tell the tint company i use to install even with the bulls-eye
  8. Fired the BFG K02's and Hired the Toyo Open Country AT3Ws - definitely an improvement across multiple vectors (road noise, wet handling, snow and ice). Considered Falkens, but read enough good things about the Toyo AT3Ws to sway my $$.
  9. Baselined items
    1. Addressed several sources of oil leaks
    2. New gas filter
    3. New starter
    4. New radiator with new hoses everywhere
    5. New rear heater control valve
    6. New thermometer
    7. Removed original rack and temp sealed holes...will weld when I'm ready to tackle more stuff when headliner is down
    8. New rotors front/rear, calipers
    9. New window gaskets
    10. New rear hatch weather strip/gasket
    11. New "entry-level" OME 2" suspension - original suspension was worn out and sagging quite a bit. I'm happy with this for now, but also exploring upgrading from Nitrochargers to BP-51's or equivalents while keeping the same medium-duty springs. Need to prepare the suspension better for washboard roads before I shake the car apart
    12. New bushings everywhere - that makes a HUGE difference in ride quality
    13. Fixed busted side mirror with aftermarket one from Amazon
    14. Fixed wobbly mirror with SolveFunction solution - still going strong
    15. New Birfs/Knuckle HW from Cruiser Outfitters - done as preventative since I have 315K miles and I don't believe the knuckles/birfs had ever been serviced before
  10. Next Up Items (some a lot sooner than others)
    1. Freedom Retrofits Headlights - I upgraded the bulbs to 9011 and that makes a real difference vs. the 9005/9006, but projectors are a different world. I went full-hog on my Freedom Retrofit order (Bluetooth halos, etching, etc...) so looking forward to getting them and will provide a review to this crew.
      1. And yes - there is definitely a lead time on these. I'm going to be happy when they actually get here (hopefully in the next week or two).
    2. ScheelMann - my passenger seat is torn to s*** and my wife has made 1 too many "1896 Land Cruiser" jokes, so these are now on the list
    3. Ceramic Tint for Windshield - as mentioned above. It should cut down on the crotch cooking when I'm driving into the sun.
    4. Re-wrapped Steering wheel - likely going thru Craft Customs, but haven't actioned so far. Bought a temp from DV Paul to hold me over till I get my original wrapped and returned from Craft Customs
    5. Aux Fan - one day...I hope they come back into stock. So far, LCP is the only one that I can find who sells a pre-built kit, so patiently waiting now that it's winter time.
    6. Eaton Lockers - rear first, but if I'm feeling rich...front + rear integrated into the OEM switch w/ Dash indicators
Original intent of this was to provide a review of the Air Down Gear Up drawer system, so in a future post, I'll provide my take + some pics of the install. I'm glad I waited for a system like ADGU. No regrets and would buy again. TBC...

I think they think you're a phantom account from Kyle or I. 🤷 At any rate, excited to see what you think of the system! I take it as a compliment that customers are so stoked to tell people about our stuff that strangers think the customers work for us or something.

Windshield tint. I love mine on my 06LX. However... really makes it hurt that much more when you get a chip/crack and have to replace the windshield. Ceramic tint ftw regardless. One of the best comfort upgrades you can do, IMO.

Hi All - long time lurker and periodic poster here in IH8Mud. Have to thank this forum for turning me away from a 200 Series and into an 80. The best part about this move is that instead of being poor right away, I can be poor over time keeping my 80 on the road. Below is my small contribution to this forum.

Bought the 80 for 3 reasons: 1) needed to scratch that Land Cruiser itch ever since I saw my first one back in the early 90's, 2) I wasn't going to buy a 5th Gen 4Runner because it seemed that Toyota went backwards on the 4WD system (fully selectable 2WD or full-time 4WD in SR5 and Sport trims), 3) I sat and drove a couple 200 series from LX to LC between 2013 to 2019 and they always felt too big and a little bit "off". I don't care about multi-zone climate control, Car Play, 360 cameras, or whatever else modern cars come with because OEM implementations usually never stack up to aftermarket. 200's are still great cars and if there's one that pops up at the right price, I may still snatch it up, but I am thoroughly happy with the 80 and do not regret passing on several 200's when I was shopping and comparing.

Up until the 80, I never modified my cars from factory, so my '96 can't hold a candle to most of the builds here. I will say that my "mods" do not as of yet cost more than what I paid for my 80. Although, it is starting to add up and I'll prob cross that threshold soon. Maintenance and reliability of mechanicals...is a different story.

Current state of my 80. It serves as my daily driver:
  1. Scangauge OBDII reader - much-needed primarily for water & intake temp. Seeing real-time data is invaluable. For example over the summer, if my engine temp is too hot, I go and park it with the hood up while I have a snack.
  2. Modified Blue Fan Clutch - this was a great mod...best mod to control engine temp
  3. white with peeling hood paint - don't care... may put vents in at some point, but I am in PNW so need to double-confirm risk of water getting into engine bay from the top
  4. Metaltech Sliders - this was one of my first mods and I'm glad I got them. Angled closer to parallel to ground to also act as a step; helps with kids. Also, I've witnessed some not-so-careful parking lock door situations and I'm glad I have them. Makes me chuckle every time someone swings their door open and chips their own paint.
  5. WitsEnd - Useless Cubby everything. Definitely enjoying the new/improved version. I have not had to adjust my Ram ball arm/mount since i installed
  6. Cupholders - BH3D cupholders installed, but still not enough...who knew cupholders are that important
  7. Ceramic Tint all around EXCEPT for Windshield - amazing difference Ceramic tint makes. I need to do the windshield, but have a bulls-eye in the glass right now that was there when I bought the car. It hasn't grown at all over the past many 3 years, so may just tell the tint company i use to install even with the bulls-eye
  8. Fired the BFG K02's and Hired the Toyo Open Country AT3Ws - definitely an improvement across multiple vectors (road noise, wet handling, snow and ice). Considered Falkens, but read enough good things about the Toyo AT3Ws to sway my $$.
  9. Baselined items
    1. Addressed several sources of oil leaks
    2. New gas filter
    3. New starter
    4. New radiator with new hoses everywhere
    5. New rear heater control valve
    6. New thermometer
    7. Removed original rack and temp sealed holes...will weld when I'm ready to tackle more stuff when headliner is down
    8. New rotors front/rear, calipers
    9. New window gaskets
    10. New rear hatch weather strip/gasket
    11. New "entry-level" OME 2" suspension - original suspension was worn out and sagging quite a bit. I'm happy with this for now, but also exploring upgrading from Nitrochargers to BP-51's or equivalents while keeping the same medium-duty springs. Need to prepare the suspension better for washboard roads before I shake the car apart
    12. New bushings everywhere - that makes a HUGE difference in ride quality
    13. Fixed busted side mirror with aftermarket one from Amazon
    14. Fixed wobbly mirror with SolveFunction solution - still going strong
    15. New Birfs/Knuckle HW from Cruiser Outfitters - done as preventative since I have 315K miles and I don't believe the knuckles/birfs had ever been serviced before
  10. Next Up Items (some a lot sooner than others)
    1. Freedom Retrofits Headlights - I upgraded the bulbs to 9011 and that makes a real difference vs. the 9005/9006, but projectors are a different world. I went full-hog on my Freedom Retrofit order (Bluetooth halos, etching, etc...) so looking forward to getting them and will provide a review to this crew.
      1. And yes - there is definitely a lead time on these. I'm going to be happy when they actually get here (hopefully in the next week or two).
    2. ScheelMann - my passenger seat is torn to s*** and my wife has made 1 too many "1896 Land Cruiser" jokes, so these are now on the list
    3. Ceramic Tint for Windshield - as mentioned above. It should cut down on the crotch cooking when I'm driving into the sun.
    4. Re-wrapped Steering wheel - likely going thru Craft Customs, but haven't actioned so far. Bought a temp from DV Paul to hold me over till I get my original wrapped and returned from Craft Customs
    5. Aux Fan - one day...I hope they come back into stock. So far, LCP is the only one that I can find who sells a pre-built kit, so patiently waiting now that it's winter time.
    6. Eaton Lockers - rear first, but if I'm feeling rich...front + rear integrated into the OEM switch w/ Dash indicators
Original intent of this was to provide a review of the Air Down Gear Up drawer system, so in a future post, I'll provide my take + some pics of the install. I'm glad I waited for a system like ADGU. No regrets and would buy again. TBC...
How’s that Amazon mirror holding up? Mine isn’t in great shape, specifically the mirror part, has weird bubbling/discolored issue.

Have you installed your Freedom Retrofit Headlights yet? If so, I would love your feedback on them.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom