New roof and attachment question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I decided to purchase a new top and gutter rails instead of buying an old one and restoring one.

I know there are a lot of smart people on this site and very helpful as well, which is greatly appreciated by this FJ newbie.

But, after this roof was finished, I now know there are 7 to 8 holes that need to be drilled to mount to the roof to the visor.

Has anyone figured out how to attach the roof to the visor without rivets? Maybe a high strength construction adhesive? Double sided tape or maybe a wide strip of velcro attached to the roof and top of the visor...

Just asking, seems like by now there should be an updated way of doing this so holes do not need to be drilled into the roof.

image000000(1)[1].jpg

20230514_194639[1].jpg

20230514_194647[1].jpg

I used huck bolts to attach mine. They look factory(ish) and worked very well.

I wish I would've ground the back side down some before painting so it didn't disturb the headliner as much.
I also wish the upholstery guy would've put in more effort with foam to mask the bumps from them.

1 drop of Flex Glue will hold over 6,000lbs, according to the commercial.

Look into an adhesive ( ES6000) at Tap Plastics, I used it to secure some 8mm double wall polycarb onto my alum roof skin so I could then glue the flexible solar panel to that, been thru 1 summer, 1 winter ( big one) and is as it was when installed. The ES6000 is not a silicone however it does not set rigid it retains a bit of flex, not as much as silicone tho. I am a big fan of urethane, go to the local glass/windshield shop and check out the heated urethane for gluing in windscreens, it will hold just dont gert that stuff anywhere you dont want it as it dont come off and its black

I decided to purchase a new top and gutter rails instead of buying an old one and restoring one.

I know there are a lot of smart people on this site and very helpful as well, which is greatly appreciated by this FJ newbie.

But, after this roof was finished, I now know there are 7 to 8 holes that need to be drilled to mount to the roof to the visor.

Has anyone figured out how to attach the roof to the visor without rivets? Maybe a high strength construction adhesive? Double sided tape or maybe a wide strip of velcro attached to the roof and top of the visor...

Just asking, seems like by now there should be an updated way of doing this so holes do not need to be drilled into the roof.

View attachment 3324013

View attachment 3324023

View attachment 3324024
Where did you find a roof?

Not a bad price. I haven't bought from then yet.

My roof has cracks where the fiberglass flexed and hit the internal screws from a roll over, and the rain gutter got bent at the driver side above the windshield and separated the attachment plate from the roof. It never was as tight after the repairs.

I am ready to install the roof this weekend. I have the weatherstripping that sits on top of the roof sides, doors and rear door.

I also have the windshield piece. Does that go on before you bolt the visor to the out side of the wind shield frame?

And is there a piece that goes on top of the visor before the roof is installed?

Thanks

The seal that goes to the windshield frame goes on first as well as the ones on the body on each side. Once they are on you can set the top down with help.

Did you have any problems putting on the rain gutter? Did it arrive in one piece with the roof panel? I’m thinking of going the same route instead of repairing mine.

Did you have any problems putting on the rain gutter? Did it arrive in one piece with the roof panel? I’m thinking of going the same route instead of repairing mine.

I had classic cruisers install the rain gutter before they shipped it. When I got the roof, it needed seam sealer and paint.

That’s great info, I’ll give them a call, thanks! BTW I see you’re in Cherry Hill, NJ. Last time I was there I was dating the daughter of a submarine captain. I was a fleet sailor, a Machinist’s Mate. He hated me.

The strongest adhesive I've ever used is PC7. It is probably equivalent to aerospace epoxy they use to glue aircraft together. The downside is it takes a loooong time to cure. At least 24hrs before you start moving stuff around and 72 for a full cure. JB Weld is laughable compared to this stuff.

Amazon product ASIN B000AB4A8M

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom