CV Axle Disconnect and Best Purchasing Options (CVJ, Reman, new OEM) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi y'all,

Figured I'd share some lessons learned on disconnecting the CV axle "the easy way" and re-visit some previously discussed CV stuff.

I was leaking gear oil out of the passenger side diff, so I went in to replace the diff seal. I followed the advice of "chowcares" on YouTube in the following video . For a number of reasons, I should not have followed this advice. Yanking it out by the knuckle from what I experienced is a bad way to remove the diff side of the CV. For me, this resulted in the CV axle disconnecting itself by the diff side, with the bearing assembly slipping by the larger ring in the tulip (pic below).

Lesson learned on that one. I then removed the whole axle and being unable to get it to go back. I tried sledging it with wood blocks but ultimately took the diff side boot off, removing bearings, taking out ring, putting the bearing assembly back in, putting the ring back over and securing the boot clamp. Unfortunately, while reinstalling, for whatever reason it disconnected again. Then the boot slipped off and all the bearings fell on the floor. Least to say I was enfuriated lol.

Since that axle was f'd I put in an old one that leaks some grease that I keep around as a trail spare. But this leads me to what is best to replace it with.

The CV axles I used were the "reman" ones from the dealership. I've looked around and realized that it seemed like the "reman" thing was a bit of a lie and they're not "OEM". However, I'm not sure if this has changed since some of those posts? When I put my axles (still have the old OEM ones) side by side, I cannot tell the difference. I suppose the boots could be different and that may be harder to tell. But the "reman" ones still have the six bearings (pic of boot off below) that I belive previous posts said they did not. Does anyone know if Toyota changed this and the remans are actually "OEM" now? I could be missing something.

If something changed, it seems like they might not be as bad of an option considering the cost difference. But I get why people like new OEM. The 3rd option to me it seems is CVJ, but I've seen a few posts on here that the quality is not as good. Has anyone had an experience with them lately? I live in AK, to have things shipped here and send the cores back is expensive. Whatever I get, I'd rather it be the best for wheeling, which still seems like OEM. But I'm not sure if anyone has had any differing experiences as of late.

20220730_175017.jpg

20220731_180003.jpg

20220731_171743.jpg

20220731_203258.jpg

. For a number of reasons, I should not have followed this advice. Yanking it out by the knuckle from what I experienced is a bad way to remove the diff side of the CV. For me, this resulted in the CV axle disconnecting itself by the diff side, with the bearing assembly slipping by the larger ring in the tulip (pic below).
FSM has a better way of popping the axle out. I don't put a lot of trust on video that shows removing snap ring with screw drivers for this job.

FSM has a better way of popping the axle out. I don't put a lot of trust on video that shows removing snap ring with screw drivers for this job

For sure. There were definitely a few wack things about that video lol. I just did it the way I did it the first time after this, driving a wedge along inside of the CV by the diff, get it out a bit and then tap out with a hammer and pry bar.

My CV has a slight leak and will be replacing them with NAPA New CV's next year. Anyone have experience with them? I don't wheel as much anymore and i could not justify $400 for new OEM.

Part #: NCV 944081
Line: NAPA Premium CV Shafts

Hi y'all,

Figured I'd share some lessons learned on disconnecting the CV axle "the easy way" and re-visit some previously discussed CV stuff.

I was leaking gear oil out of the passenger side diff, so I went in to replace the diff seal. I followed the advice of "chowcares" on YouTube in the following video . For a number of reasons, I should not have followed this advice. Yanking it out by the knuckle from what I experienced is a bad way to remove the diff side of the CV. For me, this resulted in the CV axle disconnecting itself by the diff side, with the bearing assembly slipping by the larger ring in the tulip (pic below).

Lesson learned on that one. I then removed the whole axle and being unable to get it to go back. I tried sledging it with wood blocks but ultimately took the diff side boot off, removing bearings, taking out ring, putting the bearing assembly back in, putting the ring back over and securing the boot clamp. Unfortunately, while reinstalling, for whatever reason it disconnected again. Then the boot slipped off and all the bearings fell on the floor. Least to say I was enfuriated lol.

Since that axle was f'd I put in an old one that leaks some grease that I keep around as a trail spare. But this leads me to what is best to replace it with.

The CV axles I used were the "reman" ones from the dealership. I've looked around and realized that it seemed like the "reman" thing was a bit of a lie and they're not "OEM". However, I'm not sure if this has changed since some of those posts? When I put my axles (still have the old OEM ones) side by side, I cannot tell the difference. I suppose the boots could be different and that may be harder to tell. But the "reman" ones still have the six bearings (pic of boot off below) that I belive previous posts said they did not. Does anyone know if Toyota changed this and the remans are actually "OEM" now? I could be missing something.

If something changed, it seems like they might not be as bad of an option considering the cost difference. But I get why people like new OEM. The 3rd option to me it seems is CVJ, but I've seen a few posts on here that the quality is not as good. Has anyone had an experience with them lately? I live in AK, to have things shipped here and send the cores back is expensive. Whatever I get, I'd rather it be the best for wheeling, which still seems like OEM. But I'm not sure if anyone has had any differing experiences as of late.

View attachment 3083943

Similar thing happened to me on my third try getting the driver's side axle seal to take and not leak diff gear oil. When this happened to me, the c-shaped inner seal was buggered up when it popped out of the tulip. I replaced that with a new one and some new bands for the cv boots and it's been fine every since. I would inspect the tulip and see if the c-shaped inner seal is still there or not, and replace it with a new one.

1660264280608.png

1660264445195.png

:deadhorse:

I live in AK, to have things shipped here and send the cores back is expensive. Whatever I get, I'd rather it be the best for wheeling, which still seems like OEM.
Don’t get anything other than *new* OEM. You’ll quickly go down a path of repeatedly shelling out cash for trash and end up spending as much for junk CVs as you would have for new OEM Toyota CVs.

My CV has a slight leak and will be replacing them with NAPA New CV's next year. Anyone have experience with them? I don't wheel as much anymore and i could not justify $400 for new OEM.

Part #: NCV 944081
Line: NAPA Premium CV Shafts

I don't, but I've seen a lot of posts on here not saying great things. Fitment issues on install was a complaint if I recall correctly.

Similar thing happened to me on my third try getting the driver's side axle seal to take and not leak diff gear oil. When this happened to me, the c-shaped inner seal was buggered up when it popped out of the tulip. I replaced that with a new one and some new bands for the cv boots and it's been fine every since. I would inspect the tulip and see if the c-shaped inner seal is still there or not, and replace it with a new one.

View attachment 3084403
View attachment 3084404
That's my best guess of what happened. I put the inner seal back in the correct spot after disconnecting it, but maybe I ruined the seal. I'll try ordering a new one and some bands. I can't really imagine what else could've gotten ruined that it would just disconnect a second time like that? I think the only thing holding the bearings in place is that c shaped ring?

Don’t get anything other than *new* OEM. You’ll quickly go down a path of repeatedly shelling out cash for trash and end up spending as much for junk CVs as you would have for new OEM Toyota CVs.

That seems to be the route. Luckily I'm getting at least one new OEM one. My dealer messed up when I ordered a reman one that they told me they could get. A week later I found put they were backordered. So they agreed to get me a new cv at reman cost since they set me back a week waiting on them.

Do you know if the remans changed at all though? Looking at my remans, I thought they should've had the 3 bearing set up and not the six if they were the rebranded Cardone's?

I'm getting ready to reboot one of my axles next week, where is the definitive thread on axle R&R?

I would like to bump this and ask a question about the South East Toyota remanufactured axle program, I’ve got an outer CV joint that is open and making a lot of noise in a tight left her so for now the Land Cruiser is parked at the house.

I called my local Toyota dealership today because I worked there briefly years back and I get to talking to the parts kid and yes I can get the new axles from McGeorge Toyota for about 450 bucks or so before shipping and he tells me you know, South East Toyota has this deal if you buy the axles from us and pay us to install them, they have a lifetime warranty as long as you own the vehicle.

Our vehicle is sitting at 470K and it’s a third vehicle but we love driving it! No plans to sell it at all.

My question is do I pay $1100 for two brand new Toyota axles and install them myself or do I pay 1122+ taxes and fees to the dealership and have a lifetime warranty?

I’ve been around cars and CV axles when it comes to front-wheel-drive Hondas from 1995-2005 we couldn’t get factory reman and we would have good success from Napa. If it was a Honda vehicle we got to where we didn’t trust anybody else because they would give us issues and as a service advisor we sold them with a lifetime warranty if a customer kept their Honda and they bought the repair through us.

i’m just wondering if anybody has done this with her Land Cruiser yet or have any experience with these southeast Toyota reman axles.

The service advisor did give me a part number and it’s 00016–AX185 if that helps anybody.

I would like to bump this and ask a question about the South East Toyota remanufactured axle program, I’ve got an outer CV joint that is open and making a lot of noise in a tight left her so for now the Land Cruiser is parked at the house.

I called my local Toyota dealership today because I worked there briefly years back and I get to talking to the Parts kid and yes I can get the new axles from McGeorge Toyota for about 450 bucks or so before shipping and he tells me you know, southeast Toyota has this deal if you buy the axles from us and pay us to install them, they have a lifetime warranty as long as you own the vehicle.

Our vehicle is sitting at 470K and it’s a third vehicle but we love driving it!

My question is do I pay $1100 for two brand new Toyota axles and install them myself or do I pay 1122+ taxes and fees to the dealership and have a lifetime warranty?

I’ve been around cars and CV axles when it comes to front-wheel-drive Toyotas and Hondas and for years and years we couldn’t get factory reman and we would have good success from Napa. If it was a Honda vehicle we got to where we didn’t trust anybody else because they would give us issues and as a service advisor we sold them with a warranty lifetime if a customer kept their Honda and they bought it through us.

i’m just wondering if anybody has done this with her Land Cruiser yet or have any experience with these southeast Toyota reman axles.

The service advisor did give me a part number and it’s 00016–AX185 if that helps anybody.
Do you offroad a lot? If so, does the warranty cover breaks no matter what the cause (like a break on the trail) ? If so, I'd think it's worth it. If the answer is yes to those too, I'd just keep a crappy spare axle for trail swaps and then bring it to them to schedule install of another OEM one.

We don’t drive of road at all, just two yearly trips to the beach and shore driving and whatever snow we get if any snow in the Asheville area.

My wife may make the LC her DD after this summer. We love the car, have had it for almost seven years now. 2nd owners too.
It’s got a remarkable service history.

Lets make it clear that this remanned axle is not a factory Toyota product- it is a clever in house brand sourced in china product represented as “Servicerite” brand.

If your truck is a paved road grocery getter- seems like a reasonable deal- FYI you can install Cardone HD yourself for under $500- or theirs so if the labor and lifetime service warranty makes sense to you- go for it

Lets make it clear that this remanned axle is not a factory Toyota product- it is a clever in house brand sourced in china product represented as “Servicerite” brand.

If your truck is a paved road grocery getter- seems like a reasonable deal- FYI you can install Cardone HD yourself for under $500- or theirs so if the labor and lifetime service warranty makes sense to you- go for it

Thanks a ton,
This is exactly what I needed to know.

Appreciate the link also…

How do you know it's not genuine Toyota? Not saying you don't, just haven't seen evidence that it isn't. I clicked on the link you sent, but didn't see anything specific to cv axles. I opened one of mine that you can see in the pics above (not on purpose) and it had the ball and cage setup. All looked OEM to me.

Last edited:
How do you know it's not genuine Toyota? Not saying you don't, just haven't seen evidence that it isn't. I clicked on the link you sent, but didn't see anything specific to cv axles. I opened one of mine that you can see in the pics above (not on purpose) and it had the ball and cage setup. All looked OEM to me.
1.) Not a Toyota part number

2.) Toyota "Value Line" new CV Axles - Any Experience? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/toyota-value-line-new-cv-axles-any-experience.1231263/post-13474140

3.) You opened your cv axle and saw a Rzeppa type CV axle - its design isnt specific or proprietary to Toyota- (not all components contained in a Rzeppa joint are the same quality however)

Rzeppa Joint

1685495943540.jpeg

Last edited:
1.) Not a Toyota part number

2.) Toyota "Value Line" new CV Axles - Any Experience? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/toyota-value-line-new-cv-axles-any-experience.1231263/post-13474140

3.) You opened your cv axle and saw a Rzeppa type CV axle - its design isnt specific or proprietary to Toyota- (not all components contained in a Rzeppa joint are the same quality however)

Rzeppa Joint

View attachment 3336402
My understanding was that the Cardone axles don't have the rzeppa joint? I'll have to take a closer look at mine. Dealer also offered a core charge for mine but I decided not to return the old axles.

I think the "value" line mentioned in that thread are not the same thing as "reman". The reman ones I bought were $275 a piece. Those "value" ones a few years ago were about half that. Inflation is bad but I don't think it's doubled the price of cv axles since 2020. Probably something they tried then and have moved on now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom