What did you work on tonight? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've only ever used those long tubular tools for inner tie rods. What did you use to get it off? Crescent wrench and a dead blow hammer?

I have a few wrenches that I have made over the years. Just a piece of 3/8" steel that I torch cut.

Brand of the spacer? Name and shame!
Synergy 1.5in Spacers. Almost 15yrs, 200+k miles of beating the hell out of my fj.. one blind rut on a right hand turn in the desert by DiabloCanyon.. Zero Shame. Surprised and impressed it(they) have lasted as long as they have

Brand of the spacer? Name and shame!
I have a feeling it is not the spacer company's fault, more likely it is improper torquing of the lug nuts, or The torque got changed over time, that put uneven pressure across the surface.

No amount of suspension moving up and down is going to impact an aluminum spacer. The spacer is moving axially (microscopically) in place while it's rotating radially due to improper lug nut torque could be a potential cause of this crack.

Even if a torque wrench was used religiously during the life of the spacer, a minute amount of dirt trapped between the spacer and the surface of the hub, or between the spacer and the rim, would have introduced a point load so severe that it would've cracked a 1.5 in thick aluminum.

If it was a manufacturing defect, it would have shown its ugly head long before 200,000 miles.

Think like a scientist, since you are one 😁

Last edited:
I have a feeling it is not the spacer company's fault, more likely it is improper torquing of the lug nuts, or The torque got changed over time, that put uneven pressure across the surface.

No amount of suspension moving up and down is going to impact an aluminum spacer. The spacer is moving axially (microscopically) in place while it's rotating radially due to improper lug nut torque could be a potential cause of this crack.

Even if a torque wrench was used religiously during the life of the spacer, a minute amount of dirt trapped between the spacer and the surface of the hub, or between the spacer and the rim, would have introduced a point load so severe that it would've cracked a 1.5 in thick aluminum.

If it was a manufacturing defect, it would have shown its ugly head long before 200,000 miles.

Most definitely something to do with torqueing over the years

Unnecessary comment. The mileage wasn't stated before my comment, and there are plenty of questionable Chinesium spacers all over the internet these days.

Well, since the questionable chinese Synergy spacers lasted over 200kmiles and a decade of me beating the hell out of my fj, the replacement Synergy spacer is back on. Only time will tell the tale if saving a whopping $50 over the almighty Spidertrax will have been worth the price..... again

Had to make a sword in a stone for a 4th grade project.

PXL_20230406_154238056.MP.jpg
PXL_20230406_154328371.MP.jpg

You're in the 4th grade?

Haha. Only for another week.

It was for my daughter's project. The kids had to write a story about what we made, but I was allowed to help.

This led to a competition with my best friend whose son is also in the same class. Him and his son beat me this time with a complete model of a blacksmith shop with all hand forged tooling.

I finally found something I would rather fix on the GX than the 100 series.

30 minutes to change the cv axle. If I would have jacked the side I was working on a little higher I wouldn't have lost any oil and would have saved about 10 minutes.

My wife is just as good at breaking things as I am. She got into some mud and heard a pop. She still had the center diff locked so it would still drive. She unlocked the center diff a few miles down the road and it wouldnt move but made a lot of noise. I got there, locked the diff and drove home. Found the broken axle when I checked it out.

PXL_20230522_142734482.MP.jpg

I built pantry shelves for the new house out of 3/4" pine. No damn studs in the wall there so had to use hefty screw-in drywall anchors rated for 79lb ultimate shear load. Each shelf has 9-10 of those. The loaded canned food rack weighs about 25lb. Each shelf has 12.25 in of height exactly to my drawing, at least within a 32nd. There's a lot more space up top so I'm gonna build it up and forward with U-shaped lofts. Not bad for a first time building shelves. The support spines have 45 miter cuts at the front. Sanded 220 and will stain white this week.

20230520_233215.jpg

20230521_210712.jpg

I finally found something I would rather fix on the GX than the 100 series.

30 minutes to change the cv axle. If I would have jacked the side I was working on a little higher I wouldn't have lost any oil and would have saved about 10 minutes.

My wife is just as good at breaking things as I am. She got into some mud and heard a pop. She still had the center diff locked so it would still drive. She unlocked the center diff a few miles down the road and it wouldnt move but made a lot of noise. I got there, locked the diff and drove home. Found the broken axle when I checked it out.

View attachment 3329144

Now that's what I'm talking about, I like it! Are you going the GX460 upgrade route or the Napa brand new route?

Are you going the GX460 upgrade route or the Napa brand new route?
Ok buddy, what is the story here? Educate us solid axle folks.

Now that's what I'm talking about, I like it! Are you going the GX460 upgrade route or the Napa brand new route?

I don't keep up on any GX stuff. I stuck an Autozone CV in it because they had it in Edgewood and I needed it on the road. When it goes, if it is soon I will do more research.

Ok buddy, what is the story here? Educate us solid axle folks.
supposedly the CVs from a GX460 has more beef than the GX470 units. The NAPA Premium brand new CV axles come with a tougher outer boot so they don't crack as quickly. I have the NAPA units and got no complaints.

I built pantry shelves for the new house out of 3/4" pine. No damn studs in the wall there so had to use hefty screw-in drywall anchors rated for 79lb ultimate shear load. Each shelf has 9-10 of those. The loaded canned food rack weighs about 25lb. Each shelf has 12.25 in of height exactly to my drawing, at least within a 32nd. There's a lot more space up top so I'm gonna build it up and forward with U-shaped lofts. Not bad for a first time building shelves. The support spines have 45 miter cuts at the front. Sanded 220 and will stain white this week.

View attachment 3329397

View attachment 3329398
I have to remember I can post up details on non-car projects. In the past year I've added shelf brackets to my pantry shelves because the excessive weight of cans and jars of salsa were making the shelves sag. I also stained, sealed and mounted some solid alder floating shelves so my wife could display some of her keepsakes on a section of wall that was bare and ugly. I'll need to take photos of the rebar bending efforts as I very slowly work toward getting the post portion of my post and beam shed foundation finished up. All the cars need some attention at some level but there just aren't enough days off to address everything.

I have to remember I can post up details on non-car projects.
:hmm:

I've been doing my share of home improvements lately. Nothing too hard, but I am doing tasks I haven't done before (plumbing, electrical, drywall, general destruction).

sweet accomplishment Dennis, congrats. Glad nothing fell off!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom