Preferred LED Headlights? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What high quality LED headlights are you guys running? How are the units from Stedi?

I am running Freedom Retrofit LED headlights, they are projectors in Depo housing. They have been great so far.
20230523_154513.jpg

Are there LEDs out currently that work with the factory reflector or is halogen the better option?

I tried to find those housings and LEDs but came up empty. Do you remember where you got them?

Are the housings plastic? Would upgraded lighting in the factory glass housing be better due to the longevity of glass?

I tried to find those housings and LEDs but came up empty. Do you remember where you got them?

Are the housings plastic? Would upgraded lighting in the factory glass housing be better due to the longevity of glass?
It would be terrible because of the fluted lenses. Depos are a glass lenses.

If you want a cheap quick upgrade while you shop for a permanent upgrade, go out and find H9011 halogen bulbs. You will have to modify them slightly to fit the harness and housing but it’s an instant 50% improvement in output. IIRC, Rockauto has Wagner bulbs (Philips bulb in Wagner box) for about $11 ea. Takes about 5 minutes a side with a sharp blade, clippers or cuticle clippers and you are done. Keep the old rubber o-rings from the original bulbs for a better seal.

Are your headlights working well? Old bulbs can have reduced output.

I've not been impressed with a lot of LEDs, for various reasons. I think there's a reputable seller that is very predantic about beam pattern who could point you in the right direction, though (not Land Cruiser specific). I can't quite remember his name, but I think he has a big Youtube channel.

I find the stock 80 series headlights to be fantastic, but I also don't drive vehicles much newer than the 80 series so that may be why. I did have LEDs for a time in my 3rd gen 4Runner, which had the earlier OEM headlights. The OEM ones, in those years, were awful. But the LEDs were blindingly bright, especially while out camping. I went to the newer headlight housing and standard bulbs and was very happy.

I am running Freedom Retrofit LED headlights, they are projectors in Depo housing. They have been great so far.

It looks like you have amber lights on the low beam. The freedoms I found in a google search don’t have that, did you modify them or get a custom set?

I have LEDs in my 62 and HIDs in my 100. I’d love some better lights in my 80. On dark and rainy PNW nights the OEM setups, even with the new bulbs and housings, didn’t provide enough light.

It looks like you have amber lights on the low beam. The freedoms I found in a google search don’t have that, did you modify them or get a custom set?
They were an option with them a while back. I run the Baja spot in my high beam and it was a great combo.

Are there LEDs out currently that work with the factory reflector or is halogen the better option?

Factory Hologens and HIDs will function better as the housings were designed for omni-directional light sources. LEDs are not omni-directional but some companies have added additional LEDs along the X- and Y- to help simulate this however it usually results in scattered light patterns and dark spots.

Some option include swapping the H11 bulb with an H9, the H9 is a hotter burning bulb that is most commonly used in high beams but also burns out more quickly.

I recommend an HID kit as they are pretty easy to install, omni-directional, can leverage it's own relay, and the 35w version usually has about 2.5x the light output.

Factory Hologens and HIDs will function better as the housings were designed for omni-directional light sources. LEDs are not omni-directional but some companies have added additional LEDs along the X- and Y- to help simulate this however it usually results in scattered light patterns and dark spots.

Some option include swapping the H11 bulb with an H9, the H9 is a hotter burning bulb that is most commonly used in high beams but also burns out more quickly.

I recommend an HID kit as they are pretty easy to install, omni-directional, can leverage it's own relay, and the 35w version usually has about 2.5x the light output.
Do you have a link to the HID kit you mention?

Do you have a link to the HID kit you mention?

I recommend either HyluxTek or Moriomoto. There are several kits out there but I would shop around as they vary in price but all made in China. I pieced mine together between the HyluxTek 2A88, DiodeDynamics HD Harness and CN Light Bulbs. Definitely do some research as different bulbs work in different housings (e.g. D2R) and keep in mind that while you intend to use them for low beam, the HIDs are 2.5x brighter so keep that in mind when making a decision.

Last edited:
If you want a cheap quick upgrade while you shop for a permanent upgrade, go out and find H9011 halogen bulbs. You will have to modify them slightly to fit the harness and housing but it’s an instant 50% improvement in output. IIRC, Rockauto has Wagner bulbs (Philips bulb in Wagner box) for about $11 ea. Takes about 5 minutes a side with a sharp blade, clippers or cuticle clippers and you are done. Keep the old rubber o-rings from the original bulbs for a better seal.
Can't find H9011 anywhere, is this a typo?

Can't find H9011 anywhere, is this a typo?
It's just 9011.
Stock bulbs were 9006/9005 for low/high.
9012/9011 are the HIR bulbs that require tab trimming to fit the OEM housings.
I run 9011 in all 4 positions.

Last edited:
I run stedi H4's in the outers on my 80. Stock inserts (new ones though). Have H1 Stedi's to fit for the inners but haven't got around to that yet. They're standard twin-insert lights not Sahara type or any sort of aftermarket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom