Guys I'm tapping out, should I fix small cosmetic issues or just sell her as is? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Threads
I'm done guys, it was fun going back in time to my first car, even the blood sweat and tears was fun sometimes and I love my truck but it just doesn't make sense anymore. I bought this truck thinking I would go camping, fishing and take the trails.....none of that has happened at all not even once and it's not going to anytime in the foreseeable future.

I'm taking over a new business and my daily commute went from 3 miles a day to now 40 miles a day, even beyond the gas mileage I don't want to be driving my truck 80 miles a day in stop and go traffic. I don't have room for or want 3 cars and I'm tired of obsessing over every little thing with my 26 year old truck which is only going to get worse driving it so much. Besides the silly silly SILLY amount of money I have dumped into her since I bought her a couple years ago it eats up all my very limited free time. I spent 6 hours yesterday tracking down a rattle in the door card that probably nobody else would have cared about, opening it up and testing it on the road and figuring out where it was and what it was, I figured it out eventually but suddenly I looked up on my one semi day off and the entire beautiful day was gone. Last weekend it was my window rattling, fixed that too but it took my half banana donkey ass 5 hours to do it. I'm about to spend another $3000 or so sealing the oil pan, replacing the PS pump and hoses, changing all the belts and the transmission solenoid. At this point another 3k is just a drop in the bucket but it's just never going to end, I honestly have a problem within myself where I need everything to be perfect on the truck and it's never going to happen being a 97 with 230k miles. It's eating up all my free time and it makes no sense whatsoever for what my life is about to become with this new business.

I'm going to replace her with a newer Toyota truck one that would make a more suitable daily driver, most likely back to a GX, and one day if everything lines up right I'll have an 80 again but right now I'm tapping out here guys it's over....

I would like your guys opinion as to if I should fix more things or just sell her as is. Mechanically she is completely sorted and about to be further sorted, god knows my stupid thick folder of receipts and invoices from the last two years can attest to that. What was left on my list was some cosmetic crap, some paint touchups, windshield buckeyes, the rear NWTI bumper is misaligned, a crack in the dash not a bad one but it's there, rear badge is crooked and the big one being rust in the bottom corner of the window in my hatch which I have treated but it's there. The hatch window corner rust particularly sucks because the truck is damn near rust free like it's been in the desert all it's life, how the hell do I have rust there? Anyway.....so this would be body shop stuff and dumping more money into her obviously.

I'm going to take an absolute bath on her but it is what it is, honestly I should have come to this conclusion a long time ago but I didn't want to. I thought the more money I poured into her the better it would get and it just hasn't, it doesn't make any sense for me to drive her 80 miles a day I need to move on.

You guys think I should get these cosmetic things addressed and then sell her or just sell her as is at this point?

Last edited:
Sell her as is !

Just sell it and move on. If you spend money and time to fix the cosmetic stuff listed you will not get it back. Especially with the current used car market.

So far I see 3 dudes who want to buy your rig - OK maybe only 2 given @mudgudgeon is probably beyond the fedex flat rate shipping. Sounds to me your rig is some element of therapy for the OCD condition that lies beneath the surface. If you sell it, what next...:rolleyes:

So far I see 3 dudes who want to buy your rig - OK maybe only 2 given @mudgudgeon is probably beyond the fedex flat rate shipping. Sounds to me your rig is some element of therapy for the OCD condition that lies beneath the surface. If you sell it, what next...:rolleyes:

Does FedEx ship to North Carolina?

Sounds like it would be a decent rig to take on for someone with the time and inclination.

No way I could keep my current one if I had to pay for repairs to be done in a shop

Does FedEx ship to North Carolina?

Sounds like it would be a decent rig to take on for someone with the time and inclination.

No way I could keep my current one if I had to pay for repairs to be done in a shop

I do whatever I can myself but I don't take chances with her and use her as a learning tool, when it comes to anything real she goes to the shop....which is part of the problem and unfortunately I'm obsessive about having everything perfect...

Meh....it's more nostalgia for me I think I definitely didn't treat my 2016 or 2020 GX like that, hell I don't even baby my Ferrari the way I do my 80. My old LX450 was my first car, one owner, had her since I was 16 in 2000 and sold her in 2018 which I immediately regretted. I knew every inch of that truck, every noise she made, every squeak and rattle and it was completely bone stock. This one, while it was shockingly rust free in Michigan and mechanically sound it unfortunately needed pretty much everything else, which I did. I suppose there is just a difference between a one owner completely unmolested truck that you put all the miles on yourself and a multiple owner 230k mile truck, I keep referencing my old truck in regards to this one and it's silly for me to do that.....it's not the same truck and it's never going to be.

I don't need another 80 😂

Meh....it's more nostalgia for me I think I definitely didn't treat my 2016 or 2020 GX like that, hell I don't even baby my Ferrari the way I do my 80. My old LX450 was my first car, one owner, had her since I was 16 in 2000 and sold her in 2018 which I immediately regretted. I knew every inch of that truck, every noise she made, every squeak and rattle and it was completely bone stock. This one, while it was shockingly rust free in Michigan and mechanically sound it unfortunately needed pretty much everything else, which I did. I suppose there is just a difference between a one owner completely unmolested truck that you put all the miles on yourself and a multiple owner 230k mile truck, I keep referencing my old truck in regards to this one and it's silly for me to do that.....it's not the same truck and it's never going to be.
Pics of ferrari

I have a 89 fj62 94 fzj triple locked and bought my woman a 95 triple locked. The other 2 are 95 parts truck and a 92 for parts that I haven't sold anything from lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom