77 fj40 top hardtop removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
planning on top removal this week. Can I cut the wires going to license plate lights and dome light. I was going to ad a plug so I can reconnect easily. would cutting the wires and taping them cause any issues. I want to make sure I'm not cutting a circuit to other things.

You’ve taken the cover plate off? Under that I was able to disconnect

If your talking about the cover on the right ambulance door 77 did not have that. But unless someone modified the wiring harness there is a way to disconnect the license plate lights harness from the harness running to the back. As I remember the two lights plug into a single wire. Then the single can go thru the grommet in the tub. Most use the wire when reinstall the license plate bracket on what they cover the back opening with. By law you have to have the rear license plate and be lite after dark.

There should be a bullet connector for the dome light above the driver's side door that passes through the windshield frame. If not you may have to make one.

Pictures? I recently took off my roof not knowing either - there were bullet connectors - just not obvious where when I did mine.

On mine - the dome light was connected above the windshield frame up top drivers side. The wire were tucked inside the drip rail and comes out the hole in the drip rail by the B pillar and then down. Let me see if I can find some pictures...

Great point in previous post.

Here are two photos from my experience - one has a circle above the windshield (my roof visor was not riveted to the roof - ugh - another project) - anyway - on the inside of that location is where the wire for the light came up for mine.

The other photo is with the roof off (the rear is on the ground - I circled the hole where the power goes down for the dome light - Maybe feel above the driver door in the roof rail and see if you get wire.

IMG_9070.jpg

IMG_9060.jpg

planning on top removal this week. Can I cut the wires going to license plate lights and dome light. I was going to ad a plug so I can reconnect easily. would cutting the wires and taping them cause any issues. I want to make sure I'm not cutting a circuit to other things.
Here is a photo, per @Living in the Past post, of my '77 FJ40's rear license plate light connectors.

1685409922049.png

Here is an updated photo of my rear doors.

1685410363106.png

Here is a photo, per @Living in the Past post, of my '77 FJ40's rear license plate light connectors.

View attachment 3335462

Here is an updated photo of my rear doors.

View attachment 3335470

Looks like the harness on my 84 doors off a
wrecked troopy has the bullet connectors as well.
IMG_20190831_154235365.jpg

Would be easy to get with the stock harness cover.
IMG_20190725_132635439.jpg

Adding a cover like LX models would make it more challenging.
IMG_20190831_165213874.jpg

Because the doors will never be perfect plan to mount speakers similar to yours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom