Builds GXOG: My 2003 GX470 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@captainva I did some reading and from what I can gather the MT FJ cruiser case is essentially a manual shift version of the GX case, it appears this same case is also used in versions of the Prado 120- it has a high->high lock->low lock shift pattern.

The manual transmission FJ case has a different spline input shaft but I am pretty sure the bolt pattern is the same. I found a thread on Tacoma world where a guy swapped a manual input shaft into a AT FJ case to get a top shift case for a MT Tacoma, I would assume the opposite would work in reverse. The eco-crawler replaces the input shaft on the rear case so the input spline is irrelevant.

@GXO what were you planning to use for the front donor case? Or were you planning to get it pre-assembled from NWF?

Last edited:
@captainva I did some reading and from what I can gather the MT FJ cruiser case is essentially a manual shift version of the GX case, it appears this same case is also used in versions of the Prado 120- it has a high->high lock->low lock shift pattern.

The manual transmission FJ case has a different spline input shaft but I am pretty sure the bolt pattern is the same. I found a thread on Tacoma world where a guy swapped a manual input shaft into a AT FJ case to get a top shift case for a MT Tacoma, I would assume the opposite would work in reverse. The eco-crawler replaces the input shaft on the rear case so the input spline is irrelevant.

@GXO what were you planning to use for the front donor case? Or were you planning to get it pre-assembled from NWF?

This is what I'm doing. I have all the parts (NWF Eco-Crawler box with the appropriate input and output shafts and shifters, donor t-case for parts, and a used FJ manual trans T-case). I have yet to try and put it together. I'm curious if @GXO is doing the same and if he knows of any issues I have overlooked.

Last edited:
This is what I'm doing. I have all the parts (NWF Eco-Crawler box with the appropriate input and output shafts and shifters, donor t-case for parts, and a used FJ manual trans T-case). I have yet to try and put it together yet. I'm curious if @GXO is doing the same and if he knows of any issues I have overlooked.
No but now I am interested in your progress! haha. I have mods on the back burner as we are working on the wife's truck for the rebelle. I will get into mine again next year maybe, but for sure in 2024.

Sounds so top secret you magazine article!

When does phase 1 start? What about phase 2? When does phase 7 start? I'm most looking forward to phase 19!!!!
I'd say I am pretty close to phase 19 now. ;)

Phase 19 include some 74Weld portals? :D
If they worked better at highway speed I would be tempted! I could make it happen next year. This year is the wife's year. She is doing the Rebelle so she gets the build budget.

If they worked better at highway speed I would be tempted! I could make it happen next year. This year is the wife's year. She is doing the Rebelle so she gets the build budget.
I'm not trying to derail your build page here, so maybe this is more appropriate via direct message, but is it the gearing/cooling problem for portals that doesn't work well at highway speeds, suspension geometry related problems, or some other thing, or combination of things?

I'm not trying to derail your build page here, so maybe this is more appropriate via direct message, but is it the gearing/cooling problem for portals that doesn't work well at highway speeds, suspension geometry related problems, or some other thing, or combination of things?
The way the gears are cut and the ratios result in loud and generally overgeared (lower speed) tolerances in portals used for crawling/offroad.

I just had a random rear wheel bearing failure. DOH. Was wobbling to where it gouged the rotor. Nothing too bad. Replaced and all good.

It's FINE!

4C2FA6CF-01A0-42BE-9019-31ED8D92592F.jpeg

Continuing my saga haha! I got the new Dobinson 849 rear spring. This is a BIG spring. It is rated to 1000-1200 static load rear and still supports long travel.

So, I got them installed and my front end looked WAY off.

*drumroll*

I had 600# coils on my front driver and 700# on the front passenger and the older springs were squatted enough that I could still corner balance them and not notice.

DOH.

I have 700# springs coming for both to be new and equal and will sort that out.

It's always something!

So everything is sorted on the GX (except a little front output shaft leak on the tcase that will get sorted this week). I can only really think of a few more things to do.

Flat belly (modify OEM tank situation)
3 link it
3 stick it

I am going to enjoy it as is this year and see what the wind says next year.

20230527_174418389_iOS.jpg

I didn't go through your whole build, my bad.. I'm curious what you did with your oem spare tire area?

I didn't go through your whole build, my bad.. I'm curious what you did with your oem spare tire area?
33 gallon LRA tank with armor.

Hence the 1000lb springs.. got it..
yep! Big tank and drawers and armor and tools and fridge and I tow the camper which is another 600# tongue weight.

You on a 8.2 rear end with that weight and tires or something beefier? Still debating upgrading the 8" with a locker and solid pinion spacer or just biting the bullet and pre-emptily doing the 8.2" swap, although I'll probably never run more than a 33" tire.

You on a 8.2 rear end with that weight and tires or something beefier? Still debating upgrading the 8" with a locker and solid pinion spacer or just biting the bullet and pre-emptily doing the 8.2" swap, although I'll probably never run more than a 33" tire.
He’s on a rear 9.5” diff. He skipped the 8.2” after blowing I think two 8” diffs

I would skip any work in the 8” diff and just go to 8.2” diff for peace of mind. At least that’s what I’m thinking for the type of overlanding I do. I also lightweight compared to the real heavyweight “overlanders”

Continuing my saga haha! I got the new Dobinson 849 rear spring. This is a BIG spring. It is rated to 1000-1200 static load rear and still supports long travel.

So, I got them installed and my front end looked WAY off.

*drumroll*

I had 600# coils on my front driver and 700# on the front passenger and the older springs were squatted enough that I could still corner balance them and not notice.

DOH.

I have 700# springs coming for both to be new and equal and will sort that out.

It's always something!
Wow…600 and 700 in the front…how did this happen? And was dat on purpose to fix the Aussie lean?

• Haha
Reactions: GXO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom