Okie dream man cave! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@greenbeast I have a 14B….took me a bit of frustrating failures to learn how to search for stuff. Like you, the MUD guys have been extremely helpful in pointing me in the right directions. Funny though…some of the parts I might hoard, I found in Australia. The parts are $15.00 and the shipping is $65.00. Fortunatel, I have a good friend in Victoria who told me To have it sent to his house and he would re-ship it to me at less than half. Mostly seals, sending units and small electronic stuff. @OGBeno, @Japan4X4 and @mudgudgeon have some terrific information and parts access.
A more modern diesel could be a nice easy way to go. I stopped into the Toyota dealer parts department and the guy looked at me as if i made up some special name for the motor and tried to see if he would fall for the prank.

I have such a better understanding of a 2F or an F block. I would not even consider swapping for a diesel. Were it possible, I would find another 2F and build it myself. Reading the engine manual for the 14B left me questioning if I even had the right oil filter

Not monumental earth shattering progress but I did get mom and dads cabinets out of the shop. This allows me to go ahead and wire the north side.

Also got motivated to finish installing the electric receptacles on south wall and in my office.

I’m glad I waited until warmest most humid part of the day to both move the cabinets and finish wiring upstairs, think I’ve developed glandular problem with all the sweat I’m giving off!

I’m gonna love the view for a long time to come!

Even if just small progress it’s still progress!!

IMG_9041.jpeg

IMG_9043.jpeg

IMG_9042.jpeg

Great view and great building…. I love it when the Land Cruiser gets lost in the space

Since many of you seem to be in the exact same boat as me regarding working on projects in the shop can you share what compressor you’re using and why you chose it?

Happy to..But remember…you asked and I have nothing to do right now

my compressor is a 5HP 2-stage compressor with a 120 storage tank. It’s a vertical upright and has a magnetic starter at 220V. Made by Campbell-Hausfeld.
Here’s the better part. It is 35 years old now and I had originally purchased it to run my home-made glass bead cabinet made for the plans by SkatBlast and a few air driven tools. Back then my love of restoring old American motorcycles was a deep passion and removing years of rust was incredible in the glass bead cabinet.

recently moved the compressor to the pole barn which was plumbed using the 3/4” maxair system… Super happy with it.
This picture montage is about 6 years of work and ALL were basket cases when I got them…that’s a lot of air pressure blasting away

These days…power air-driven tools, impact wrenches, air driven ratchets and tire inflation on occasion. The glass bead is now a factory made unit but only about 30“ wide. Also, anything I do on the Land Cruiser…. my FJ45 is coming in July

IMG_0149.jpeg
IMG_0153.jpeg
IMG_0387.jpeg
IMG_0386.jpeg
IMG_0161.jpeg
IMG_0150.jpeg
IMG_0148.jpeg
IMG_5415.jpeg

I've got a 25-year-old Quincy 80 gallon, 5hp, two-stage compressor. Like knuckle, I chose the output (17.1 cfm @ 175psi) for abrasive blasting with a Skat cabinet. Even at that output, the compressor cycles pretty frequently while blasting.

Jon I haven't bought anything yet but have pretty much concluded I will purchase this one:

Why? I wanted the quietest compressor I could find without spending $5k+ for a rotary screw. I also wanted ~20scfm at 90 psig as many of the blast cabinets I have looked at require something in that neighborhood. Lastly I wanted something with good reviews, ratings, rep, etc.

Again, no personal experience but I have spent quite a bit of research hours on the subject.

Jon I haven't bought anything yet but have pretty much concluded I will purchase this one:

Why? I wanted the quietest compressor I could find without spending $5k+ for a rotary screw. I also wanted ~20scfm at 90 psig as many of the blast cabinets I have looked at require something in that neighborhood. Lastly I wanted something with good reviews, ratings, rep, etc.

Again, no personal experience but I have spent quite a bit of research hours on the subject.
Good to know, If I get a blast cabinet in the future it will be a smaller one. Unloaded trailer today since wifes company needs the trailer back so several containers of cruiser goods got dumped in the shop. I was clear from the beginning with the wife " No girl stuff in the shop" she can have the barn! Stated my case in front of my daughter so she could be witness if my wife got violent but it all went well.

Every time I went in shop, I was curious where to place it. I do have some space under the stair well but then I won't have room for any storage and running lines would be a mess.

@greenbeast as hard as I tried, I now have Christmas decorations up in The trusses. Laid a few plywood panels…at least I don’t have to look at this stuff occupying my space. I use the lift as an elevator to access that area

@WarDamnEagle that looks like a great compressor…I don’t believe it is really that much more expensive than any of the others that could be comparable. I was looking at their charts…good luck

Jon I have the air compressor Greg posted up, in orange. I haven’t run it much yet and not at all with my blast cabinet. But it is quiet and has worked well so far. Keep in mind the physical size of the blast cabinet has nothing to do with CFM requirements.

Michael
Thanks, I have no idea what requirements are for the blast cabinets (obvious huh) but have some comfort knowing this particular compressor. would work. So many options out there and I don't see a need for a super pricy one, especially with my hobbies'. Being remote though I would like to have option to do some things instead of driving an hour to Tulsa and paying someone to do it.

The important requirement for blast cabinets is CFM. Meet the demand for CFM on the cabinet you purchase and keep the air reasonably dry, you will have blasting bliss ☺️

I continue to battle the weather and my schedule with traveling plans the wife has made. All this has made getting access to shop difficult. Along with that we have had some hard downpours over the last month pushing a ton of loose sand to the low areas and covering up what little I’ve been able to accomplish.

Broke down few weeks ago and had dozer guy come down and work on some drainage. Few days ago I had 4 loads of 3”+ gravel dumped to do the base for my drive.

Today I was able to at least get base for drive put down. Off to Florida tomorrow for fishing trip with some friends I grew up with, when I get back I’ll cover everything with some 1.5” crusher rock.

On list with sod company to have them come install sod all around edges of the shop and along driveway to stabilize everything.

IMG_9141.jpeg

Last edited:
The important requirement for blast cabinets is CFM. Meet the demand for CFM on the cabinet you purchase and keep the air reasonably dry, you will have blasting bliss ☺️
Yep. It's the nozzle size and not the cabinet size that makes a difference. You can get varying sizes of nozzles, but even the small ones take a fair amount of CFM. And the small nozzles end up being like trying to paint an entire car with an airbrush.

Thank you sir, it’s got a long ways to go…

it’s got a long ways to go…

@greenbeast …..as the President of Toyota once said: “ a journey of 1000 miles begins with an FJ40”
😂

Got motivated to pull some wire yesterday. It was HOT and HUMID but I got 3 long runs to box pulled using almost 250’ 12/2, whoever thought 12’ ceilings was a good thing is an idiot!

Only the ford lord know how many times I climbed the ladder and the shoulders are little sore today after pulling wire overhead.

Hard part done and I did get about 85% of the north wall pulled to the boxes.

8989075B-CB91-4F2B-A95F-84FE03C8040A.jpeg

I used 2 250’ rolls and I did not go crazy running power. I have a 4 gang box at each 8’ span on all of the walls plus the overhead lighting For 6 led lamps. My 220v compressor line was done the night before insulation spray. After 9 months of living with it, I could have run another 220v line for the welder on the opposite wall but only for the convenience factor. I did run another set of overhead LED’s on the 24’ wall where the entrance door is. My arms hurt for you. On/off switches on the opposite side as 3 ways might have been a good idea as well. That 40’ walk isn’t a lot…but it is

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom