2F rocker arm shaft on a 1F (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m rebuilding a 1F for my ‘65 45. I have a nice rocker arm assembly from a 2F that I’d like to use on it. The 2F rocker arm shaft has at least 2 problems: no hole for the 1F oiling tube and an oil galley hole to receive oil from the 4th rocker tower from the 2F. Instead of replacing the shaft, I’m considering drilling a hole in the 2F rocker shaft to receive the oil from oiling tube and using a spare rocker tower to replace the one with the oil galley. Can anyone see anything wrong with this plan before I destroy my 2F rocker arm shaft?

Cheers,

Mike

IMG_3538.jpeg

IMG_3539.jpeg

IMG_3540.jpeg

I believe there’d be enough space for a fitting. It’d take some doing to route an oil tube, but looks like it’d work.

IMG_3542.jpeg

You need to do some research, but I'd consider drill and tap the tower for 1/16" pipe (1/4 OD), use a nipple to get over towards the existing oil tube, and see if there's an elbow fitting in McMaster-Carr for the 1/16" pipe to the oil tube ferrule.

I don't know what exists, just a concept. Good luck

If you were to flip the shaft end for end, the shaft hole at pedestal #4 would move to pedestal #3 and be facing up. Then you wouldn't have to drill the shaft as well.

Gotcha. And then drill through the top of pedestal 3. That make connecting the oil tube easier, if there's enough clearance under the valve cover. Another great idea. Thanks for the help!

Yes. I was thinking of drilling down in the top of the pedestal. Now I think maybe 73FJ40 is talking about drilling into the side of pedestal #4 below the rocker to meet the existing hole. That should work also. It looks like there’s enough room without interfering with the rockers. Hmmm. Two options. 1/8 NPT might also work. A "Street Ell" would give you the tightest turn for clearance if you go up top.

Pedestal 4.jpg

Yes, when @Lifelong40Fan pictured the tape measure, I was thinking into the tower below the shaft.

1/16 pipe is 1/4" OD, whereas 1/4 pipe is 3/8" OD. Given the size of the F engine oil feed tube, keeping everything small should make fit up easier.

I was thinking 1/8" but I think you're right with the 1/16".

I took my rocker assembly off yesterday for a lifter check so it's convenient for some comparison pics with some fittings I put together to mount a gauge temporary in the galley plug hole.

The barrel looking fitting is a 1/16" male by 1/8" female adapter and got it "HERE". I had to grind it down round for clearance going into the galley hole. The 1/8" nipple and 1/8" x 1/4" bushing came from Home Depot.

FtngSizes 1.jpg

FtngSizes 2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom