Upgrading Rear Coil Springs to Heavier Spring Rate? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After putting on my Expedition One tire carrier bumper and with the combination of the Dobinson drawer system. My rear 2" Icon 52700 coils are now too soft and bottom out really easy. Even over speed bumps if I hit them anything over 10mph. Now I'm shopping for a set of heavier spring rate coils for the rear to maintain my 2ish inches of lift. What really caught my eye was the Eibach Load-Leveling System w/ 400lb of weight, but haven't seen much input on these. I figure it's about the same price if I were to pick up a set of new coils and super spring bump stops, plus it'll be nice to have some adjustability. Unless there are better options to handle the weight of a rear bumper, drawer system, soon to come sliders + skids, and with the camping gear a few times a year. What rear coils are you rocking on an a$$-heavy GX?

Last edited:
What are in your drawers? I have moved over to the heavy series in dobinson progressive springs.

I started with the 701v which is probably the one for you. The 749 is a bit heavier. I am running the 849 on my 470.

What are in your drawers? I have moved over to the heavy series in dobinson progressive springs.

I started with the 701v which is probably the one for you. The 749 is a bit heavier. I am running the 849 on my 470.
The drawer system doesn’t weight a ton more than the 3rd row. I keep the car basics, simple tool set, trama kit, gallon of water, extra clothes etc. No more than 40lbs.

I was looking at the 701v but I’m not sure if they would cause my GX to stink bug a bit. I was also looking at the C59-327 but now thinking those might be a little bit on the light side. I do plan on upgrading my front coil on my King to a heavier coil rate once the GX hits its final weight after adding the skids and sliders.

The drawer system doesn’t weight a ton more than the 3rd row. I keep the car basics, simple tool set, trama kit, gallon of water, extra clothes etc. No more than 40lbs.

I was looking at the 701v but I’m not sure if they would cause my GX to stink bug a bit. I was also looking at the C59-327 but now thinking those might be a little bit on the light side. I do plan on upgrading my front coil on my King to a heavier coil rate once the GX hits its final weight after adding the skids and sliders.
What is up front? The balance is interesting because if you go to heavy in back is pushes down the front and you get a battle to balance.

What is up front? The balance is interesting because if you go to heavy in back is pushes down the front and you get a battle to balance.
The front is equipped with King 2.5 (KRS-25001-243A-EXT) with 550lb coils. Right now I have an aluminum front bumper that weighs about 70lbs, I’m also planning on adding a steel front skid and have sliders that are going on hopefully this week.

I have Dobinson rear springs in right now: C59-677V, supposedly for 3” of lift with (not sure how much exactly) weight in the back, I also think they are “long travel”.
When I put them in, without any extra weight, they pushed the rear end up to 4” of lift.
I havnt measured the lift height in a while, I should check to see if they have settled. The ride is pretty harsh, especially since I havnt built a rear bumper yet, and since taking out the third row seats the rear end is even lighter, hoping more weight improves the ride quality.

Also as a PSA, don’t know if you are swapping the coils yourself but they were a pain to get in, could be I went too big and stiff but I battled for a while trying to compress them enough to fit in, they were a solid 6” bigger than the last Dobinson coils I had in there.

I would actually recommend that 677v for the OP with kings up front. Especially if the rear is kings and spec'd for long travel. The nice thing about Dobs is the rear springs are indeed a pain in the ass to install, but a set is like $250 and resell easily so you can experiment.

I would actually recommend that 677v for the OP with kings up front. Especially if the rear is kings and spec'd for long travel. The nice thing about Dobs is the rear springs are indeed a pain in the ass to install, but a set is like $250 and resell easily so you can experiment.
Thanks, I'll look into those. My rear shocks are King 2.5 (KRS-25001-125A-EXT) hopfully that won't be an issue with "Dobinsons C59-677V can be used with KDSS, as long as you don’t run long travel shocks, as the sway bar will contact the panhard rod at full extension, leading to problems." . Instead of experimenting, I like the adjustability of the Eibach coils, but Dobinson looks like the way to go if I can stay around the range of 2" of lift. Here's a pic of my squatted ride height as we speak.

IMG_7113.jpeg

Last edited:
I have Dobinson rear springs in right now: C59-677V, supposedly for 3” of lift with (not sure how much exactly) weight in the back, I also think they are “long travel”.
When I put them in, without any extra weight, they pushed the rear end up to 4” of lift.
I havnt measured the lift height in a while, I should check to see if they have settled. The ride is pretty harsh, especially since I havnt built a rear bumper yet, and since taking out the third row seats the rear end is even lighter, hoping more weight improves the ride quality.

Also as a PSA, don’t know if you are swapping the coils yourself but they were a pain to get in, could be I went too big and stiff but I battled for a while trying to compress them enough to fit in, they were a solid 6” bigger than the last Dobinson coils I had in there.
Do you have any pics of the rear ride height with those coils?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom