Options for a totaled 1995 80 series diesel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I found a 1995 80 series diesel with left hand drive, and 5 sp manual with a 150K miles ( Panama car originally). had it baselined, lifted and added all the usual good stuff. Its was picked up in Texas to be delivered to me in WA. Not 30 miles into the transport the driver tried to go under an overpass ( not sure exactly how it happened) and tore the roof almost completely off.

Other than tearing the roof off everything else seems ok. I am wondering if I buy back the vehicle for its residual value from the insurance company ( if they will let me) what are some realistic options for rebuilding it?

I understand if money was not object a lot could be done, but does it make sense to try to find an 80 series with a blown engine and a good body and exchange out the bodies or do I take the engine and transmission and put it into another 80 series?

Has anyone done that kind of swap? I think doing an engine and transmission swap into another 80 would be the easiest but I really don't know.

IMG_5716.jpeg

IMG_3226.jpeg

IMG_3222.jpeg

Imagine Jeremy Clarkson saying, “How hard could it be to make the world’s first convertible 80 Series?” You could do it as a Ute conversion while you’re at it.

On a serious note, that’s really sad that it got wrecked, but honestly, that’s how some of the greatest builds begin. I’d buy it back from the insurance company if you could.

On a serious note, that’s really sad that it got wrecked, but honestly, that’s how some of the greatest builds begin. I’d buy it back from the insurance company if you could.
I'll see what they say, even recovering some of the parts I put on might cover the cost.

if you werent so far away i would sell you a gutted cab to swap everything into.

I am way too far away to even consider it an option sadly

Dude! I saw this going down the road in Texas near Dallas. So sorry. By another LC, pull the engine and save every part you can. Swap the diesel.

Man, that sucks!

If you've got the capability, patience and space, I'd agree with the others. Buy it back and swap a much as possible onto a donor.

That engine and trans combo has a lot of value in USA. Probably more than the insurance companies knows.

You want to keep every little thing that's specific to that engine and trans.

Wiring
Fuel lines, filters
Air box
Clutch pedal assembly and fire wall cut
Interior console

@BarnFab Build thread is a good source of info and insight into what it will take

Other than agreeing with most of the others, to transfer over if you can, I got nothing. Just makes me sick to see this. Sorry man.

So I found a 1995 80 series diesel with left hand drive, and 5 sp manual with a 150K miles ( Panama car originally). had it baselined, lifted and added all the usual good stuff. Its was picked up in Texas to be delivered to me in WA. Not 30 miles into the transport the driver tried to go under an overpass ( not sure exactly how it happened) and tore the roof almost completely off.

Other than tearing the roof off everything else seems ok. I am wondering if I buy back the vehicle for its residual value from the insurance company ( if they will let me) what are some realistic options for rebuilding it?

I understand if money was not object a lot could be done, but does it make sense to try to find an 80 series with a blown engine and a good body and exchange out the bodies or do I take the engine and transmission and put it into another 80 series?

Has anyone done that kind of swap? I think doing an engine and transmission swap into another 80 would be the easiest but I really don't know.

View attachment 3334285

View attachment 3334294

View attachment 3334295
Man this is terrible and really sorry. Having helped my son swap a RHD 5-speed 81 drivetrain into a domestic 80 and watch a good friend @cwwfj60 so the same, it’s definitely doable. If I were in your shoes I feel the easiest (less painful) way would be to do a tub swap. Keeping you’re drivetrain with the original frame will be a lot easier as you’ll avoid dealing with the trans crossmember. Plus you’ll have the correct VIN if that still matters with a rebuilt title.

Dude! I saw this going down the road in Texas near Dallas. So sorry. By another LC, pull the engine and save every part you can. Swap the diesel.
Wow, that's it, how crazy. In the back of my mind I was wondering if anyone might have seen it happen and capture a video but that's a long shot. It happened two days after they picked it up and they didn't tell me for a week. I kept calling wondering where it was and the kept stalling me. There are some really shady operators out there.

I just did a build from a left hand drive import into a usdm auto 80 and having the donor made it pretty simple .
I would love to hear about that. I might have a line on a 80 series with a blown engine that I could pick up for a reasonable price but it's going to come down too my insurance company and the residual value they put on it. It's not triple locked and maybe the diesel will be discounted enough to pick up for a bargain. Did you post anywhere about the project?

For those reading this it is a big concern when arranging shipping of our cruisers. I’ve used and recommended @Riverrunner multiple X’s and there’s never been a concern with me or the folks I’ve known that’s used his service. Just stinks that something like this could happen, but worse is being kept in the dark and not taking responsibility right away. Actually had a 61 I shipped from Seattle and they ran the high roof into the upper rails. Was immediately resolved and no complaints on my end.
Again, really sorry you’re going through this but know it will work out in the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom