Any Vise Collectors Here? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@e9999 Only one I have seen is the Prentiss jeweler's vise. Swivel jaws are famously fragile so an anvil that encorparates it would be problematic.

76664b_1000x.jpg

IMG_0688.jpg
IMG_0689.jpg
IMG_0686.jpg

I landed this Samson 5218 this weekend. I haven't seen much information on these other than Samson was the vise brand at Sears Roebuck before Craftsman. I have seen some theorized these were made by Rock Island. There are some similarities in the meatball and jaw designs. There is some webbing under the base that my Birtman RI does not have. This is also noticeably heavier than my RI or Starrett 3-1/2 swivel vises. If anyone knows any more info on these, I'd love to hear it.

rock island 574.jpeg
IMG_0698.jpg
IMG_0699.jpg
IMG_0700.jpg

I haven't had a chance to work on vises much lately. I got this 574 a couple years ago. I got a good price because one of the jaws had a chip and the center pivot bolt was missing. I was able to source a bolt and bushing from McMaster Carr. This is a very nice example under the rust. I let Mrs. W. pick the color. I pretty happy with the hammered gold. This is probably the best texture I've been able to get so far. I really sprayed it on thick.

IMG_0709.jpg
IMG_0706.jpg
IMG_0704.jpg
IMG_0703.jpg

This Columbian 205-M2 was one of my first serious vises. I wound up buying it about a mile from my house. I bought this one and a Hollands 54H that was also ironically missing one pipe jaw. The hunt is still on for that one lol. It's always been probably the nicest vise I own. It was missing one pipe jaw when I bought it. I stumbled on a single pipe jaw on eBay last week and couldn't buy it fast enough. It's about 1/4" wider than the other two but fits fine. I plan on polishing the spindle, handle, and lockdowns and promoting this one to full user, worthy of drilling new holes in the corner of my bench. It's probably too tall for that area but I don't care.

Nice find! I don't know why so many (Columbians in particular) combination vises are missing the pipe jaws. I LOVE my 205 and it will be with me forever.

This one and my 3C are the only vises I have with all the jaws. My Hollands 54H, Starrett 323-1/2, and Columbian 204-1/2 are all missing at least one! Who does that???? I'm guessing people take them out to clear something being worked on then they get lost to time.

Working on a swivel baby. This thing is adorable! It is a very early “post war” domestic.

In a nod (wink) to any “Chit Chat” guys on here… check out the date!

IMG_3593.jpeg

IMG_3595.jpeg

IMG_3594.jpeg

well it's been a while since I saw this vid. And I imagine it's probably someplace in this thread already, but I can't bring myself to trying to find it, too many replies. So here goes if you're interested in vises, and destructive testing and you haven't seen the vid yet.
For those of you interested in old iron, check the bulldog and how it did (I have one of those).

oh, and if it's me who posted it earlier (very possible), don't mention it, I don't want to be reminded that I'm forgetting stuff... :)

it's interesting that in the pic above from the vid, you can see that all the vises visible have similar jaw widths but check out which one has by far the longest handle...

one of the things that is memorable for me in that vid is the level of forces that can be achieved just by the OEM handles. Pretty impressive in absolute terms really.

IMG_0716.jpg
IMG_0717.jpg
IMG_0718.jpg

reed3.jpeg

I finished up this little Reed 403-1/2 this weekend. It turned out to be in very nice condition. Some of the pitting wouldn't polish out but I can live with it. I don't like removing too much metal. This one didn't have the traditional tapered pin. This one is threaded with a slotted screw. If I had to guess this was a user modification. There is a shelf for the bottom of the screw shoulder to sit on though.

Finished a baby bullet from a few posts back and a Reed 1C I picked up recently. There's a 3c somewhat local i'm trying to get and it's the last one I need for the complete C series collection.

wilton.jpg

reed.jpg

gotta say that crisp jaw serrations do it for me...!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom