Black Bear Shmack Bear… ;) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Markuson

SILVER Star
Threads
Many of you have been here…

1685221679629.jpeg

I’ve done Black Bear numerous times, both solo and in groups…but… suddenly Black Bear feels like pulling into my own driveway compared to this… 😂

NOTE: For better view, don’t click the play symbol. Instead, click somewhere else in the video, and it will open on Insta. Need to watch the full 30 seconds…with sound. lol Crazy.

Last edited:
Every time I think about Black Bear it reminds me of an advertisement from my childhood.
I think my Dad told me it was Black Bear (which it's clearly not) but I like the association
to the feeling of serious cliff exposure.

fposter,small,wall_texture,product,750x1000.jpg

Morrison Jeep Trail in Montana might make Black Bear feel a little easier too. It’s certainly not as well traveled (and doesn’t have the scenery of Black Bear while you’re on the switchbacks), but it does reward with amazing views up on top 👌🏼

IMG_1825.jpeg

Morrison Jeep Trail in Montana might make Black Bear feel a little easier too. It’s certainly not as well traveled (and doesn’t have the scenery of Black Bear while you’re on the switchbacks), but it does reward with amazing views up on top 👌🏼

View attachment 3334008
Closed since last year’s floods :/

I can’t get the Forest Service to comment on if they plan to reopen it either. Evidently severe erosion on the trail itself and the road into the canyon.

I can’t get the Forest Service to comment on if they plan to reopen it either. Evidently severe erosion on the trail itself and the road into the canyon.
Sadly this is the situation for much of the Eastern Sierras currently.

Correct. We’ll see what happens this season. It will definitely be put on a back-burner if we end up with more flooding this year too.
However it should be open across the top to the Beartooth Hwy this year allowing in and out access to the views, but not the switchbacks.

Last edited:
We will be hitting Black Bear in July but I am not sure if we will take the Cruiser that day or if we will be in the Gladiator.

Great trail. What is covering the top of your rig? I've been looking at getting the XPel "armor" film on my LX. Line-x reduced noise and temp in my 2006, but it's a little too permanent.

Great trail. What is covering the top of your rig? I've been looking at getting the XPel "armor" film on my LX. Line-x reduced noise and temp in my 2006, but it's a little too permanent.
That’s Line-X, which was prompted by my failing, upward-facing paint. Vinyl lasted less than 2 years, so went with this. No regrets, except that I should have continued it outward and downward to the window sills, as that paint is now also failing (or at least the too coat.

We will be hitting Black Bear in July but I am not sure if we will take the Cruiser that day or if we will be in the Gladiator.
When are you going in July? My son and I are planning to hit Moab and Ouray before the LCDC

When are you going in July? My son and I are planning to hit Moab and Ouray before the LCDC
We get to Durango on the 21st, head home on the 30th. Planning to hit Black Bear on 7/25. Just saw that Imogene might not be open due to lack of funding to clear the snow, seems insane they’d allow that given the revenue they stand to lose on their major money maker.

We will be in Telluride, Ouray, Lake City and Silverton as well for a night or two each as we jump from one pass to another.

We get to Durango on the 21st, head home on the 30th. Planning to hit Black Bear on 7/25. Just saw that Imogene might not be open due to lack of funding to clear the snow, seems insane they’d allow that given the revenue they stand to lose on their major money maker.

We will be in Telluride, Ouray, Lake City and Silverton as well for a night or two each as we jump from one pass to another.
Ah ok, well have fun, if you were going to be there earlier in the month I'd try to meet up. I'm planning to travel the first 2 weeks of July

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom