AHC delete with Land Cruiser shocks and stock ahc springs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all.

I got the AHC deleted. OME torsion bars, OE Land Cruiser shocks. I didn’t replace the springs. The car is level but sits below the normal AHC height. It also seems a bit bouncy.

Are there any repercussions for doing this? Should I change out the springs? I would prefer the ride was a bit less like a pogo stick on big bumps. I’m very pleased overall with the ahc delete. The harsh fatiguing ride and vibrations that used to ring throughout the cabin are no more.

OME torsion bars are also adding to the stiff ride. They are thicker and designed to support more weight

OME torsion bars are also adding to the stiff ride. They are thicker and designed to support more weight

I don’t know much about suspensions. But it feels like the rear springs are too soft causing the pogo effect on large bumps. Before the ahc delete the ride felt extremely stiff, harsh vibrations would go through the cabin shake the plastics making noise.

Now the ride is way less fatiguing and damp, the cabin is quiet but seems there are too much compress/decompress cycles.

The AHC rear springs look extremely flimsy and my truck IS sitting very low compared to normal AHC height. I wonder if I should install OME 2860? To pair with the Land Cruiser shocks? I would order the OE springs but they are over twice the price.

I don’t know much about suspensions. But it feels like the rear springs are too soft causing the pogo effect on large bumps. Before the ahc delete the ride felt extremely stiff, harsh vibrations would go through the cabin shake the plastics making noise.

Now the ride is way less fatiguing and damp, the cabin is quiet but seems there are too much compress/decompress cycles.

The AHC rear springs look extremely flimsy and my truck IS sitting very low compared to normal AHC height. I wonder if I should install OME 2860? To pair with the Land Cruiser shocks? I would order the OE springs but they are over twice the price.
There are several who have run the 865’s with oem shocks - the 860’s may over extend the oem shocks.

FWIW At one point I ran the 865s and the ride was great

Springs need to be matched to the weight of the car.

If your car is stock (no steel bumpers), you do not want OME torsion bars and you do not want OME rear springs. Those are not made for a stock vehicle.

Toyota torsion bars up front is what you want. Toyota springs in the rear. Maybe the light duty OME springs in the rear, but toyota would be more comfortable.

You need to change the rear springs. The AHC springs do not function without AHC.

You probably would have had less work and spent less $$ (and definitely ended up with a more comfortable ride) just repairing AHC. That ship has sailed, so just track down used Toyota parts and you'll be fine.

Reactions: GTV
Springs need to be matched to the weight of the car.

If your car is stock (no steel bumpers), you do not want OME torsion bars and you do not want OME rear springs. Those are not made for a stock vehicle.

Toyota torsion bars up front is what you want. Toyota springs in the rear. Maybe the light duty OME springs in the rear, but toyota would be more comfortable.

You need to change the rear springs. The AHC springs do not function without AHC.

You probably would have had less work and spent less $$ (and definitely ended up with a more comfortable ride) just repairing AHC. That ship has sailed, so just track down used Toyota parts and you'll be fine.

I couldn't find a mechanic that'd touch the AHC. The OEM torsion bars were also I think over twice the price of the aftermarket OME bars. I have ordered a pair of OME rear springs (2860) and will be getting them installed. These springs look way stiffer.

If the bananas are cheaper than apples, that doesn't make them a better ingredient for apple pie. They are not like replacements for one another.

Those OME springs (2860 or 2865) are 30% stiffer than Toyota coils. It's going to be a bit stiff unless you're running some significant extra weight.

Time for a bumper? Or drawers and a fridge?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom