AirDownGearUp SS1: Storage, Sleeper and Drawer System for 200 series (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We've been able to get a handful of camping and wheeling trips in this year, so I wanted to provide a few pictures of how we utilized the ADGU kitchen + drawer along the way!

To start with, we added a simple Jackery 500 to provide the energy storage for the fridge and other various goodies. We wanted this setup to demonstrate a 'plug and play' system that would be simple to replicate. One thing to note, the AC plug in cargo area on the 200 is.... well... i wouldn't say useless, but not any good for charging the Jackery. We simply bought an extended length cable and plugged into the cigarette lighter socket in the 2nd row. We ran the cord under the floor mat and 2nd row, and plugged the jackery cable into that.

So far I have found the Jackery 500 to be good for powering the fridge about 3 days/nights without turning the vehicle on. This is a great solution for normal/extended weekend trips. If you were doing more than that you would likely want to set up some solar charging. There are plenty of outputs, so you can run all kinds of accessories. We were powering a drawer light, walkie talkie charger, go-pro charger, the fridge and occasionally plugging phones in for a top off.

We also added an energy chain to keep all the cabling nice and tidy. We'll be adding a guard to keep gear from interfering with this energy chain, and will be incorporating this as part of the standard kitchen offering.

We cooked A LOT of large group meals out of this setup, and I was pleased with how everything worked. That much cooking would have been tricky without this kitchen!

View attachment 3331397

View attachment 3331398

View attachment 3331399

View attachment 3331403

View attachment 3331404

Looks like all the drawer systems for the other vehicles are on sale except the Land Cruiser, no love for us? 🙁

We've been able to get a handful of camping and wheeling trips in this year, so I wanted to provide a few pictures of how we utilized the ADGU kitchen + drawer along the way!

To start with, we added a simple Jackery 500 to provide the energy storage for the fridge and other various goodies. We wanted this setup to demonstrate a 'plug and play' system that would be simple to replicate. One thing to note, the AC plug in cargo area on the 200 is.... well... i wouldn't say useless, but not any good for charging the Jackery. We simply bought an extended length cable and plugged into the cigarette lighter socket in the 2nd row. We ran the cord under the floor mat and 2nd row, and plugged the jackery cable into that.

So far I have found the Jackery 500 to be good for powering the fridge about 3 days/nights without turning the vehicle on. This is a great solution for normal/extended weekend trips. If you were doing more than that you would likely want to set up some solar charging. There are plenty of outputs, so you can run all kinds of accessories. We were powering a drawer light, walkie talkie charger, go-pro charger, the fridge and occasionally plugging phones in for a top off.

We also added an energy chain to keep all the cabling nice and tidy. We'll be adding a guard to keep gear from interfering with this energy chain, and will be incorporating this as part of the standard kitchen offering.

We cooked A LOT of large group meals out of this setup, and I was pleased with how everything worked. That much cooking would have been tricky without this kitchen!

View attachment 3331397

View attachment 3331398

View attachment 3331399

View attachment 3331403

View attachment 3331404
@Kyle Bell

Looks great Kyle. I like that energy chain to route the power and need something like that. Will it be available as an option to add to existing ADGU kitchen slide?

Looks like all the drawer systems for the other vehicles are on sale except the Land Cruiser, no love for us? 🙁

Andy here, the other owner of ADGU. I wish I could say that was strategy, but it's mostly just accidental. We have a ton of configurations and all those sale prices are entered manually. When we want to remove the sale, we go back and remove the sales one by one. It's a ton of pages to load, edit, save, etc... Since our spring rush is hectic in the shop we don't always get every configuration updated before we get pulled aside to help with the CNC, UPS, random inventory shortage, etc... Some folks end up getting an extra sweet deal out of that, but it's not necessarily a strategic move on our part. :)

@Kyle Bell

Looks great Kyle. I like that energy chain to route the power and need something like that. Will it be available as an option to add to existing ADGU kitchen slide?

Yes! We're still tweaking the energy chain setup to make it functional and durable. The version posted here is a great proof of concept, but we want to protect the chain better so that you can stuff the area around it without creating any additional obstructions. We've got a second iteration machined and ready for testing [hopefully] in June. Our end design should still be retrofittable. Perhaps with a hole or two that needs drilling, but no major part changes should be required.

A side question for you: How valuable would a full fridge enclosure be? We're kicking around designs that would make that an option - one that would likely add some significant $$ ($500-1000 adder maybe) so we're trying to gauge how much of a benefit that would be for folks. Our intent would be to make it strong enough to hold a Rotopax or something similar with ready-mount provisions.

A side question for you: How valuable would a full fridge enclosure be? We're kicking around designs that would make that an option - one that would likely add some significant $$ ($500-1000 adder maybe) so we're trying to gauge how much of a benefit that would be for folks. Our intent would be to make it strong enough to hold a Rotopax or something similar with ready-mount provisions.
Would this be retrofittable? I could definitely see this being useful

Andy here, the other owner of ADGU. I wish I could say that was strategy, but it's mostly just accidental. We have a ton of configurations and all those sale prices are entered manually. When we want to remove the sale, we go back and remove the sales one by one. It's a ton of pages to load, edit, save, etc... Since our spring rush is hectic in the shop we don't always get every configuration updated before we get pulled aside to help with the CNC, UPS, random inventory shortage, etc... Some folks end up getting an extra sweet deal out of that, but it's not necessarily a strategic move on our part. :)

Yes! We're still tweaking the energy chain setup to make it functional and durable. The version posted here is a great proof of concept, but we want to protect the chain better so that you can stuff the area around it without creating any additional obstructions. We've got a second iteration machined and ready for testing [hopefully] in June. Our end design should still be retrofittable. Perhaps with a hole or two that needs drilling, but no major part changes should be required.

Andy - on the fridge enclosure, probably not a priority for my setup. I've got a big fridge with Kaon shelf and side panels. I secure things to the side panel to keep from getting caught in the path of the fridge slide. Others may find enclosure useful.

I'm definitely keen to get the energy chain when ready.

Got my drawer and kitchen setup installed today and have to say build quality is great. We do have a little sadness though. Our camp chef Everest is to tall! What stoves is everyone running and do you like them?

Got my drawer and kitchen setup installed today and have to say build quality is great. We do have a little sadness though. Our camp chef Everest is to tall! What stoves is everyone running and do you like them?
I own a GSI dual burner stove that fits in the kitchen drawer with room to spare. Bought on Kickstarter a few years ago. Stove works great!

Also keep a collapsable sink in the drawer with it.

I own a GSI dual burner stove that fits in the kitchen drawer with room to spare. Bought on Kickstarter a few years ago. Stove works great!

That’s a sweet little stove!

That’s a cool unit for sure. I love the idea of the collapsible sink in there too. I’ve been trying to decide what to store next to it since it’s longer than any stoves I’ve seen

I received my SS1 mid-June, and have been modifying it to fit my National Luna 90 Twin fridge. In the 4Runner, I had the fridge on a Tembo Tusk Jumbo slide, and despite a lot of time and effort by Andy and Kyle, we couldn't make it fit without a lot of additional expense. I'm limited both by width between the standard uprights and height of the fridge on a traditional slide.

Instead, I'm using horizontal drawer slides (with a much reduced load rating) and slotting it into the standard platform to retain the right wing and passenger side sleeper. I went with the 60/40 sleeper with the fixed platform under the driver's side, as I have no plans to reinstall that seat.

Here are some progress photos. I still need to drill/tap the aluminum bar that I'm using to mount my home made slide assembly to the ADGU anchor bars. I'll use the National Luna mounting plate on top of the slides to make fridge removal easy. And I'll add some tabs to the cutout to create a solid surface when needed.

And a HUGE thanks to Andy and Kyle for working with me on this unusual combination.

If anyone in or near Northern Ohio is interested in a Tembo Tusk Jumbo Fridge Slide w/Sliding Cutting Board Assembly, let me know. I've been offering it at about 1/2 price of $450 locally. I'm NOT shipping it!

353822845_657904889701126_3336385441217170775_n.jpg

356240695_658507902974158_319612016574296638_n.jpg

356204604_657904886367793_318386677078661443_n.jpg

355906416_658507912974157_661537994815420906_n.jpg

355685557_660623096095972_685816967638773536_n.jpg

New Product Alert! We have just launched a removable drawer cover cutting board! This ships assembled and snaps right on top of all existing SS1 Drawers.

20230712_110310.jpg

This removable cutting board adds even more utility to your SS1 drawer and sleeper system. Made of incredibly durable Richlite composite, this cutting board will stand up to heavy duty use. Resistant to knife cuts, heat and water, Richlite won't warp or crack over time.

The cutting board stows securely on top of your Air Down Gear Up drawer, turning it into valuable working space. The feet firmly hold the cutting board in place while traveling, and allow quick removal for access to your gear or transferring the cutting board outside the vehicle.

20230712_113121.jpg

20230712_110233.jpg

20230712_113226.jpg

One request that customers repeatedly bring to us is simple, yet somewhat tricky to answer: How can I sleep two people inside the vehicle and have a fridge? With a traditional fridge the answer is a somewhat unsatisfying 'there's not enough room'. We needed to address this shortcoming so we developed a sliding tray designed specifically to accommodate the Dometic CD30 drawer-style fridge.

This set up allows 30 liters (31 quarts) of refrigerated space while retaining a completely flat platform on top. We have incorporated a space for a battery/power station, allowing the space of one drawer to completely house all of your fridge needs. We have the entire tray slide out of the vehicle, allowing the fridge itself to become a work surface. The fridge itself can also be accessed by itself while keeping the tray retracted. In addition to that, we can equip an additional slide out table as well, turning the simple CD30 Drawer fridge into a full workstation. The front-access wing still retains its function, so you can utilize the space under the platform for storing items.

We have found this size to be more than adequate for trips lasting a few days for multiple people. This provides a great balance between useable platform space and fridge capacity. This system replaces a standard drawer in an SS1, meaning you can bolt this right into your existing slides, and you can swap between a drawer or fridge as your trip demands. Of course this can also be spec'd into new systems as well. Pricing will be the same as our current drawers, meaning it's truly up to you to decide if a drawer or a fridge is more valuable for your needs.

20230908_122031.jpg

20230908_122041.jpg

20230908_121954.jpg

EDIT: my ADGU system is sold, thanks all.

Hope this is ok to post here: I've decided to sell my ADGU system, consisting of the sleeper platform, a single drawer, and pull-out table. I purchased the platform/sleeper in 2020, and then the drawer/table in 2022. The wood on the platform/sleeper is unfinished, as that was how it was previously sold. I believe that the rest of the system is the same as what ADGU currently sells. Great condition, some scuffs in the drawer interior but otherwise all components and hardware intact. Only selling because I'm now needing my third row much more frequently than the platform/drawer. Asking $600 for everything, pick up in Boulder. Feel free to PM with questions. Thanks.
IMG_0952.jpg

IMG_0953.jpg

IMG_0954.jpg

Last edited:
Hope this is ok to post here: I've decided to sell my ADGU system, consisting of the sleeper platform, a single drawer, and pull-out table. I purchased the platform/sleeper in 2020, and then the drawer/table in 2022. The wood on the platform/sleeper is unfinished, as that was how it was previously sold. I believe that the rest of the system is the same as what ADGU currently sells. Great condition, some scuffs in the drawer interior but otherwise all components and hardware intact. Only selling because I'm now needing my third row much more frequently than the platform/drawer. Asking $600 for everything, pick up in Boulder. Feel free to PM with questions. Thanks.
View attachment 3437315

View attachment 3437316

View attachment 3437317
That's a great price for some great drawers! Love mine.

View attachment 3437315

View attachment 3437316

View attachment 3437317
What an incredible deal.

View attachment 3437315

View attachment 3437316

View attachment 3437317
I'll send you a PM I'm in boulder county and am interested.

View attachment 3437315

View attachment 3437316

View attachment 3437317

Steal of a deal!!!

View attachment 3437315

View attachment 3437316

View attachment 3437317
Fine by me! That's a sweet score for somebody. Our raw material cost on that system is way more than your asking price. You'll move it fast (I suspect it might be already sold).

Here's my quick recollection/summary of the specs on that:

1. Full width sleeper only. That one is not split and configurable like what we offer now. No biggie for folks that aren't planning to update to a kitchen at some point.
2. Down rev Slide Out Table and Drawer face. Purely aesthetical.
3. Uncoated birch. Still very durable and arguably better as it ages because a very light sanding makes it look new again.
4. Single-tall runners. We use double tall now and we do that to increase rigidity - largely for perception. The single tall was plenty robust from a functional standpoint.
5. Down rev cargo dividers. No big deal there, but we just updated those to be inset in the framework.
6. Steel piano hinges. We switched to aluminum at some point. Steel was stiffer, but heavier and had potential to show some oxidation.

This system has the Slide Out Table (sells for $449.99) and our CNC anchor bar mounting setup. I think this one we retrofitted the anchor bars because those were never sold new with the uncoated birch - I think.

Hell of a deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom