Electrical mystery: Headlamps, horn, hazard flashers. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.exploringoverland.com
On the way home from Overland Expo West yesterday we realized that the headlamps, horn, and hazard flashers on our '93 HZJ75 had stopped working. The three fuses that control those items are all fine, but there is no power to them. I can't figure out what would fail that would simultaneously cut off the feed to those two wires (one to the two headlamp fuses, another to the horn/hazard). The running lights work, so do the turn signals. Is there a relay in the circuit that could fail and cause this? Thanks for any direction.

Jonathan

Check your fusible link. Power should always be on for those three items and comes from one of two links. You can check for power at the panel and if there is none, then it must be the link. No relays involved.

Check your fusible link. Power should always be on for those three items and comes from one of two links. You can check for power at the panel and if there is none, then it must be the link. No relays involved.
Thank you; I'll check that. I didn't know the 70-Series even had fusible links.

The bigger question: why? What caused it to blow? Damn gremlins

Thank you for the links to the Partsouq diagram and the part number (and Onur, glad to finally meet face to face this weekend!).

Indeed, if it is the fusible link that will just shift the mystery.

Did you check the headlights relay already ?

Well it doesn't appear to be a fusible link issue—I have power downstream from these three battery connections. I'll check for the headlamp relay, but wouldn't that be downstream from the fuse? And it still wouldn't explain the horn failing at the same time.
Fusible links.JPG

Are those connections at the battery as they were from the factory? It looks a bit like mine that I did myself (but I have like 5 wires there now).
I would dissect the one that feeds those ignition-independent devices: horn, lights and flashers.
I had my whole truck dead for a week until I realized that a non-factory battery lead was corroded and not making contact (invisibly inside insulation sheath).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom