Late-model FJ60 and FJ62 carpet and mats! February 6, 2024 update... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Do you know of any good way to UV protect the carpet from fading? I had JTO carpet years ago and it faded horribly in the sun. Went from dark gray to damn near white in the space of just a couple years. I still plan on ordering new carpet from you for my 62 once other "pre-carpet" projects are completed, but want to protect my investment when I do!

Do you know of any good way to UV protect the carpet from fading? I had JTO carpet years ago and it faded horribly in the sun. Went from dark gray to damn near white in the space of just a couple years. I still plan on ordering new carpet from you for my 62 once other "pre-carpet" projects are completed, but want to protect my investment when I do!
Ceramic window tint, and a sun shade are honestly the best things you can do to help preserve your interior.

Ceramic window tint, and a sun shade are honestly the best things you can do to help preserve your interior.
I've looked at the "clear" UV tints and that definitely does seem like a good option. Haven't investigated cost at all yet though, so I'll have to see what it'd run me in my area.

DM sent for carpet kit.

PM sent. Need more carpet!

Thanks,

It's time - long since time! PM sent!

A question to the 60/62 owners: Since the time I composed my installation guide a few years ago (a free document I send out with with each carpet order), it's come to my attention that Noico has gotten a LOT more expensive than when I first recommended it as as lower-priced alternative to DynaMat and other "higher-end" sound deadeners. With that in mind, I wanted to ask this thread if any of you have recommendation(s) for suitable 80mil products - without smell - you've used, liked, and you've found to be comparatively cost-effective? Also, how many square feet of this product have you found to be a sufficient quantity to apply to the entire floor?

Please let us know. Thanks,
dnp

I haven't received nor tried this product yet....I buy based on value rather than name, it's a little thicker and I plan to just line the passenger area.
Amazon product ASIN B09Y5BQYGL

I haven't received nor tried this product yet....I buy based on value rather than name, it's a little thicker and I plan to just line the passenger area.
Amazon product ASIN B09Y5BQYGL
Yeah, that's a good price for material that thick! Just be sure to keep it away from the outer edges of the floor on both sides. Those areas have other pieces that go over the carpet - like the cargo area side panels - that may interfere with something that thick. Even 80mil is tight, but if you don't install it to the very outside edges, you shouldn't run into any trouble.

I thought the XX 'mil' was a measurement in thickness, I was running accross different 1.5-2.0mm claimed in thickness's which confused me as to the cost vs quality of material. Hopefully my understanding of how it works is correct and I don't have to fully apply it everywhere- it acts like putting you hand on a drumskin and inhibits the vibrations without needing to cover the whole panel.

I thought the XX 'mil' was a measurement in thickness, I was running accross different 1.5-2.0mm claimed in thickness's which confused me as to the cost vs quality of material. Hopefully my understanding of how it works is correct and I don't have to fully apply it everywhere- it acts like putting you hand on a drumskin and inhibits the vibrations without needing to cover the whole panel.
Oh- and minus 30% for usd.

For those of you that have installed your carpet, maybe you can answer is. I put Dynamat Extreme over the entire floor and now I'm considering putting a layer of Dynaliner over that for better insulation. Is 1/4" too thick or should I go down to 1/8"? I am using DNP's kit. Thank you.

For those of you that have installed your carpet, maybe you can answer is. I put Dynamat Extreme over the entire floor and now I'm considering putting a layer of Dynaliner over that for better insulation. Is 1/4" too thick or should I go down to 1/8"? I am using DNP's kit. Thank you.
The DynaMat Extreme should pose any real problems. With regard to the Dynaliner, it shouldn't pose any problems except for the edges and around mounting holes. The carpet in the cargo area goes underneath the side panels, so there's only so much thickness that will slide under there. If you stop the Dynaliner short of the edges (cargo panels, door openings, wheel wells, etc.), you may be OK. (I say "may," because I've never done an install with the DynaMat and foam on top.) You also need to consider how the shifter boots will "absorb" the extra thickness. If the install is done like it was from the factory, the metal hold-down rings around the shifters will bolt to the floor and the opening in the carpet will fit into the lowest fold in the bellow (between the lowest fold and the ring on the floor); therefore, you'd need to make sure the thickness of what you're installing doesn't overwhelm that amount of space - that, or you could cut the foam back so it's not as thick on those edges either.

Sort of a rambling answer, I know, but those are my thoughts. At the end of the day, if you're going to use the foam over the butyl deadener, and if you're wanting to have as easy an install as possible, I'd go with as thin a product as will accomplish your goal (and, stay away from the edges with it). On the other hand, if you don't mind fighting with it, you can just about make anything work with enough time (and money) :D

dnp

David, Thanks for your input.

For people out there in Cruiser Land, David sold me a carpet kit almost 2 years ago and is still willing to take my questions. Great Service!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom