Transmission (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Getting a clunk when going from P to R, then it clicks when backing up. After working itself up to temp, it almost seems like the gears are losing power and I get a low idle… is my transmission almost shot?

Getting a clunk when going from P to R, then it clicks when backing up. After working itself up to temp, it almost seems like the gears are losing power and I get a low idle… is my transmission almost shot?
Qs:
1 - does the clunk go away if you depress the brake pedal when shifting?
2 - is the clicking coming from the rear axle when backing up, or somewhere else?
3 - is the low idle when in gear, or in neutral/park?

Qs:
1 - does the clunk go away if you depress the brake pedal when shifting?
2 - is the clicking coming from the rear axle when backing up, or somewhere else?
3 - is the low idle when in gear, or in neutral/park?
The clunk goes away after it engages, still a small click after releasing the pedal

I can feel it right under the floorboard of the driver’s seat, so I don’t believe it’s from the back axle. Doesn’t sound that way at least

The low idle is when it’s in gear

On the 91-92’s there is a crossover exhaust pipe, that goes over the t-case and can contact the driveshaft flange. That could be the click when backing up.

The ‘clunk’ could the drive flanges are worn on the front birfs. But also there is just a lot of slop on some higher mileage LC’s. The A440/HF2A on the early years don’t have a viscous coupler, so they seem to get more of a clunk.

Also, see what condition, grease wise, the u-joints and driveshaft splines are in. That can quiet them right down.

Slap a gopro camera down there and see if you can grab the sound better, then post it up on youtube. These clunk, clicks, clonks are too hard to Dx over the computer.

Please aim the camera at the rear driveshaft so that we can see if there's a rotational movement of the rear DS with the noise.

That's a GREAT video. Does your clunk get really worse when you have it in four low and do the same shifting with your transmission?

Last edited:
Wow. What the washing machine was that at the end?? Is that the 'click' you're talking about?

Yupp!! Maybe a click was an understatement
Yeah. Understatement of the week. lol
Given when it happens in the video...engine mount or torque converter? I got nuthin' else.
@jonheld

LOL. That banging is the exhaust knocking against something. Won't be hard to find that.
The low idle is likely an air leak on the upper half of the motor.
That 3FE sounds like it needs a bit of lovin'. When was the last tune up? When was the last valve adjustment?

LOL. That banging is the exhaust knocking against something. Won't be hard to find that.
The low idle is likely an air leak on the upper half of the motor.
That 3FE sounds like it needs a bit of lovin'. When was the last tune up? When was the last valve adjustment?
I’ve knocked a few of those off the list… not sure about the gaskets and valve adjustments… owned it about a year and half… prolly wouldn’t hurt doing that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom