Another Turn Signal Flasher Issue - Rapid Flashing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJ40Savvy

SILVER Star
Threads
I have a 1973 FJ40 (Manufactured 10/72).

I'm dealing with a turn signal issue that I could not find any solutions using the search option. Lots of hits on slow or not working turn signals but none on rapid flashing or none that I could find.
  1. Vehicle is close to OEM and no wiring nightmares
  2. Hazards work and flash at a normal rate
  3. Turn Signals work however they are rapid
  4. OEM Flasher has been replaced by Toyota Solid State Kit/Wiring Harness by PO. I assume it is grounded properly because Hazards and Turn signal work.
  5. New Front turn signals on both corners, there is a ground wire coming from each one and is bolted to the body.
  6. Truck has old style rear lights.
  7. Original Rear Lights

Here is what I done so far to troubleshoot the problem.

1. Replaced all for blubs with 1034 bulbs as per owners manual and put a small amount of dielectric grease in each blub socket
  2. All blub sockets are clean with no corrosion.
  3. All four corner grounds have been dremel wire wheeled to ensure good contact to the body/grounds.
  4. All blub sockets have been checked for ground using a ohm meter and read 0.
  5. Solid state relay has been swapped with two different relays and issue still exists
  6. Contact cleaner was sprayed into the Hazard switch
  7. Bullet connectors on all corners have been taken apart, sanded and reinstalled
  8. Removed both rear light brackets and wire wheeled mounting bolts. Confirmed 0 ohm between blub socket and frame.
Any suggestions on next steps. Here are a couple that I have come up with
  1. Check the contacts in the steering column for corrosion?
  2. Check grounding on replacement flasher?
  3. Hazard Switch needs to be taken apart and cleaned?
Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

This is the Hazard Switch that is in the truck.
1676267855512.png

This is the upgraded flasher unit.

1676268570385.png

Rear Light Style

1676269577611.png

Do all the lights work? (seems like an obvious question but I still have to ask) Do they still work with the park lights on?

The aftermarket solid state flasher I'm using flashes at the same rate regardless of load... does the Toyota one do the same?

I have the same issue albeit from a different starting point on my 78 hj45.

I initially had turn signal issues. Intermittent and temperamental.
Replaced front light units, grounds, bulbs, fuses and eventually replaced the flasher unit with current Toyota solid state relay and taadaa found myself in your situation.
No further issues other than turn signal rapid flashing, been like that year now.

Let us know if you find a solution otherwise I'd guess the link maybe the new solid state relay we have added

Do all the lights work? (seems like an obvious question but I still have to ask) Do they still work with the park lights on?

The aftermarket solid state flasher I'm using flashes at the same rate regardless of load... does the Toyota one do the same?
All four corners work flash with the both the park lights on or off. This is why I'm stumped. Everything seems to work as it should except for the rapid flashing.

I have the same issue albeit from a different starting point on my 78 hj45.

I initially had turn signal issues. Intermittent and temperamental.
Replaced front light units, grounds, bulbs, fuses and eventually replaced the flasher unit with current Toyota solid state relay and taadaa found myself in your situation.
No further issues other than turn signal rapid flashing, been like that year now.

Let us know if you find a solution otherwise I'd guess the link maybe the new solid state relay we have added
I thought the solid state relay flashed at a constant rate regardless of load. It would seem to not be the case.

That’s the thread I jumped into a while back, maybe some of the replies might trigger an idea for you

I think I have found a solution to this issue. It is definitely load related. I tested a theory tonight and added a third light to the circuit and the flashing rate changed from a fast rate to a normal rate. I have ordered 2 LED load equalizers to install. At this point, with only two installed, the turn signals and hazards should work correctly. Anybody see a problem with this solution using incandescent blubs?

1685069043564.png

Third light connect changed the blinking rate from fast to normal.

1685068551030.png

I think I have found a solution to this issue. It is definitely load related. I tested a theory tonight and added a third light to the circuit and the flashing rate changed from a fast rate to a normal rate. I have ordered 2 LED load equalizers to install. At this point, with only two installed, the turn signals and hazards should work correctly. Anybody see a problem with this solution using incandescent blubs?

View attachment 3332472

Third light connect changed the blinking rate from fast to normal.

View attachment 3332467
Is that a unicorn 1973 backup light being used as a test light?

Finally got around to installing the load resistors on the rear lights and now have turn signal flashing at the normal rate. Fix works for me even though shouldn't need them. It worked from the factory.

IMG_4142.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom