SOLD FJ45 LWB rear balance/bumper guard plates??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tank5

SILVER Star
Threads
You can guess from my post title I don’t really know what these are called or supposed to do. Know they attach to the rear valance or sill sorta under the lights. I have never seen them on a 45, so I expect not many survive given their placement. This set is in decent shape and should clean up well with a little work. Asking 60.00 shipped. They are located in Jemez Springs, NM

I welcome input from anyone that the correctly name and share the intended function of these plates.

IMG_6473.jpeg

IMG_6474.jpeg

I don’t know the technical name but I believe they are for mounting the rear reflector to.

I guess reflector mount might be better than my original naming. Thanks

That picture explains it! Thanks for sharing!

These came about more as an afterthought by Toyota when rear reflectors were required in some jurisdictions and the need to have them fairly outboard. Much like the original rear license plate location, they usually succumbed to trail-use or a removed bed being set down on the ground, simply due to their lack of protection and a long overhang. Later red/orange tail lenses were available in some markets with molded reflectors built-in, and other markets often simply installed reflectors fully on to the rear valence (and bed sides).

These early trucks seemed to avoid any semblance of rear protection--from their lack of a rear bumper, back-up lighting, and a license lamp coming from a cut-out in one of the rear tail lamp housings. Later models in some markets showed a slight improvement-- diamond-plated central step/bumperettes, revised tail lamps with a sectioned back-up lamp, and hooded license lamps, yet still mounted under the valence/bed. Canadian trucks used rear side marker lamps cut into the bed sides. Crank-down spare tire/wheels eventually replaced the old handle-bar slings under the bed. Etc..

If originality is the goal, then each of the earlier/later peculiarities becomes important. Owner preference, taste, and availability of rare old parts can be a deciding factor in what you see out there. YRMV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom