1.5” wheel spacer help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
76DF25FE-D74F-4EFF-8320-3DF15D2A7AEA.jpeg
I recently bought these wheel spacer for my LX450 and the tire shop informed me that they don’t fully fit due to outer lip not being bored to same size as the rest. Can someone recommend something that should fit. Thanks

Spidertrax or Bora.

The ones you bought are hub centric. The raised lip around the bore of the spacer is meant to fit inside a wheel to center it. Those will not work on an 80. You need some that are lug centric and use the lug nuts to center the wheel.

While it's hard to screw up spacer production, there is variance in quality in some brands. Spidertrax is well known as one of the best quality. I would strongly recommend high quality spacers! These aren't something you want to have fail.

I bought my spidertrax spacers from Slee Offroad.

Last paragraph in Slee listing is important if using hub centric wheels.
So as not to confuse anyone that’s unfamiliar with the terms, the OE hub centric wheels (95-97) are ones that fit somewhat tightly over the axle hub keeping the wheel centered. These wheels use a flat flanged lug nut whereas the earlier OE 80 wheels use a conical lug nut that centers the wheel using the wheel studs/lugs rather than the axle hub.

When you use lug centric wheel spacers (like the ones needed) with the OE hub centric wheel (95-97) it pushes the wheel bore farther out, or even partially off the axle hub surface. It becomes more important that you use the lug nuts to properly center the wheel to avoid vibration.

If you are running aftermarket wheels follow proper mounting procedure for those wheels.

I have a 91 80 series with late model 4 Runner wheels. I noted that the OEM wheels have a slight cove in the wheel for the lug centric nuts to seat on while the 4Runner wheels are flat. I have two questions. Do I still buy 1.5" lug centric spacers? Do I mount the wheels with 3 of the acorn lug nuts to center, use flange style lug nuts on the other three, then replace the original acorn nuts now that the wheel is centered?
IMG-1083.jpg

The ones you bought are hub centric. The raised lip around the bore of the spacer is meant to fit inside a wheel to center it. Those will not work on an 80. You need some that are lug centric and use the lug nuts to center the wheel.

While it's hard to screw up spacer production, there is variance in quality in some brands. Spidertrax is well known as one of the best quality. I would strongly recommend high quality spacers! These aren't something you want to have fail.

I bought my spidertrax spacers from Slee Offroad.
How long have you been running these spacers? Is there any maintenance involved with the type of driving you do? Like do you check them with a torque wrench every tire rotation, etc? And did you use the red locktite that comes with the spacers? I’m reading conflicting opinions whether to use it or skip it.

I installed the Spidertrax on my LX470 (also bought from Slee) several years back but I don't drive that car often enough or hard enough to really put much stress on them.

Thinking of getting these on my 94 80. I have the stock wheels on it and they're a little sunken in for my liking.

Last edited:
How long have you been running these spacers? Is there any maintenance involved with the type of driving you do? Like do you check them with a torque wrench every tire rotation, etc? And did you use the red locktite that comes with the spacers? I’m reading conflicting opinions whether to use it or skip it.

I installed the Spidertrax on my LX470 (also bought from Slee) several years back but I don't drive that car often enough or hard enough to really put much stress on them.

Thinking of getting these on my 94 80. I have the stock wheels on it and they're a little sunken in for my liking.
I've had them for about 1,000 miles. I definitely used the locktite, I've heard too many stories of spacers coming loose on the highway. I re-torqued them after 200 miles and just kick my tires every now and then to ensure there isn't a loose spacer or wheel lug. I bought Spidertrax front and back.

Kinda relevant. Can you use a 1” spacer? It seems from my research it may work or the studs may have to be trimmed. Pics from someone else spacer thread.

IMG_3058.jpeg

IMG_3057.jpeg

Kinda relevant. Can you use a 1” spacer? It seems from my research it may work or the studs may have to be trimmed. Pics from someone else spacer thread.

View attachment 3331078

View attachment 3331079
The reason I went with 1.5" is so I could put the center cap on. Kinda vain, but I hated the look without them. I would've gone with 1" if I thought the center cap would fit.

View attachment 3331078

View attachment 3331079
You would be using a bolt on spacer for this application. Pretty much anything over 1/4 inch should be bolted on. Otherwise there may not be enough stud length for the lug nut to safely and securely grab and hold. So, yes, you can run a 1 inch spacer. You can run up to probably 3 inch spacers(safety may be a concern) on our landcruisers. But they will be bolt on spacers, thus you are actually bolting your wheel to the stud in the spacer and the spacer gets bolted to the hub with the original lugs.

No I get that. It would be a bolt on spacer. I just want the wheels to have just a lil more “poke” I like being able to glance out the window and see where I’m placing a tire. And currently the flares hide the whole tire. So will 1” ones work as far as stud length. Or has anyone used 1” instead of 1.25 or 1.5.

I think the only way to determine if it will be enough poke is to measure one inch out from your current tire placement. if your tire were pushed out one more inch, would that be enough for you to view in your mirror, or will you need more spacer?
Hope that helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom