What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (43 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just realized my 40 turned 47 this month, it's had an interesting history and is still going strong. May 1976 was a long time ago, really an age gone by by today's reckoning. This thing is testament to Toyota toughness, I highly doubt anything built in the last decade will favor as well in terms of longevity. I was lucky enough to get it in '95 as the third owner with 44,373 on the odometer for $5K. Original owner used it as a hunting rig, second owner only had it a few months before selling then it was all mine. There were plenty of crazy mods those guys did that I had to undo or fix, but it wasn't long before I had it running well and reliable. It was my daily driver/weekend wheeler for a couple years before becoming the weekend warrior it is now and even took my first born child home from the hospital 26 years ago today. We have had so many great off road adventures in it around the PNW, no other truck could survive the crap I've pulled in the woods. Strangely enough I have only put a little more than 30K miles on it in all that time, seems like it should be more, maybe all that bouncing around you do in a 40 has something to do with that. Can't imagine how much gas it has consumed since I have had it, bet I have spent a small fortune at the gas station to date. Smiles per mile, right? What an awesome fun ride it's been so far, plenty more to come to. Thanks for reading!

fotor_1684873198128.jpg

fotor_1684872653811.jpg

fotor_1684872573242.jpg

fotor_1659475361877.jpg

fotor_1661203314813.jpg

Last edited:
Just realized my 40 turned 47 this month, it's had an interesting history and is still going strong. May 1976 was a long time ago, really an age gone by by today's reckoning. This thing is testament to Toyota toughness, I highly doubt anything built in the last decade will favor as well in terms of longevity. I was lucky enough to get it in '95 as the third owner with 44,373 on the odometer for $5K. Original owner used it as a hunting rig, second owner only had it a few months before selling then it was all mine. There were plenty of crazy mods those guys did that I had to undo or fix, but it wasn't long before I had it running well and reliable. It was my daily driver/weekend wheeler for a couple years before becoming the weekend warrior it is now and even took my first born child home from the hospital 26 years ago today. We have had so many great off road adventures in it around the PNW, no other truck could survive the crap I've pulled in the woods. Strangely enough I have only put a little more than 30K miles on it in all that time, seems like it should be more, maybe all that bouncing around you do in a 40 has something to do with that. Can't imagine how much gas it has consumed since I have had it, bet I have spent a small fortune at the gas station to date. Smiles per mile, right? What an awesome fun ride it's been so far, plenty more to come to. Thanks for reading!

View attachment 3330528

View attachment 3330529

View attachment 3330530

View attachment 3330531

View attachment 3330532
One of the best posts I’ve read in a long time. I look forward to being able to tell my own stories like these

Ha! Thank you! I’m pretty sure someone else asked that same question the last time I posted in this thread. Unfortunately I don’t know. The truck was restored and imported from Colombia right before I bought it, so I don’t have any detail. I could ask, but I’m afraid the answer wouldn’t help.

“Smiles per mile”…stealing it, going on a T-shirt.. Wanna buy one?

Well done…what a ride..!!!

Had a mishap in St. George this winter, so it was time to address it as its cruiser season again here.
IMG_0105.jpeg
IMG_0106.jpeg
Made a bracket for the portapower and it magically went back into a useable shape. Not perfect by any means, but it’ll do until I find another early windshield

IMG_0108.jpeg

Caought it in the evening light. Now I wish I had gotten this shade in the respray. (Top pic is probably a truer shade).
IMG_0111.jpeg

I loved reading @cruiserkev story about his FJ40. I thought there would be an interest of my 49 year memory so here it goes. I moved to northern Vermont 1973 with my Pontiac. By thanksgiving there was no way that car would be useable all winter long. I was a few miles from the Canada border and it snowed like crazy. Found my FJ40 brand new at Morristown Toyota in New Jersey and took the $4400 deal. I was a 21 year old kid with few cares and even fewer needs after the Land Cruiser. My future wife lived up the road from me with her parents and we got together in the spring of 1975. She helped me take the hard top off, work on things, and take a few off-road logging road trips. Over 40 years after I sold that FJ40, 2 others came to live in our house but that all ended in the 1980’s and our Land Cruiser days were empty but fill with kids and toys. 1 year ago now 69, something inside me clicked and I just had to find another FJ40. I found it right here on IH8MUD. She’s a beauty and I took it back to nearly stock. Now 70, I have had the thrill of enjoying and babying this truck and re-living some great fun with my wife in the passengers seat

the ride is not as I remember but maybe at 21, that bumpy bouncing ride was never an issue…. The guys here on IH8MUD have been so incredibly helpful. Thank you
1976 Short Hillsd FJ40 .jpeg
Downey equipped 1974
IMG_6699.jpeg
New z stock 1974
IMG_7617.jpeg
out of the showroom stock 1974
IMG_6711.jpeg
2 years in the Vermont snow
IMG_6598.jpeg
the new flame 1975 FJ40 49 years later

More work on the door cards. Cut out ABS sheets that match my PVC cards from CityRacer. Machined a 3 degree angle on a stack of 6” speaker rings. Spaced them at the bottom of the card and attached with template tape an screwed from the back.
I then routed out the hole.

I cut 2 10 inch aluminum rings out of a spare sheet and smoothed it with the drill press. Added threaded rivets to hold 1/4 20 stainless screws in equally spaced holes around the rings.

Lastly, covered with green fleece, stapled to the wood speaker rings and secured with the aluminum rings.
It is now ready for fiberglass. Just have to learn how.

Look up “West Epoxy Systems”. They do have some very user friendly information and it’s not just boats. Their materials are used for all kinds of great projects. They publish a quarterly magazine …free. It is called “Epoxyworks”

good luck

You can find good info on working with fiberglass in the restoration section on iboats. Be sure you have good ppe, breathing fiberglass dust is bad.

Been thinking of the "to do" list: motor mounts, center arm rebuild, rain gutter repair, hardtop restore, the thing consumes some oil, maybe a top end job... Or, I just keep adding oil, keep filling the tank, keep on keeping on and trying to prevent any major concerns.
I sure do enjoy driving this thing.
20230525_072204.jpg

Had a mishap in St. George this winter, so it was time to address it as its cruiser season again here. View attachment 3330845View attachment 3330846Made a bracket for the portapower and it magically went back into a useable shape. Not perfect by any means, but it’ll do until I find another early windshield

View attachment 3330847
Caought it in the evening light. Now I wish I had gotten this shade in the respray. (Top pic is probably a truer shade).
View attachment 3330848
Great solution.

Or, I just keep adding oil, keep filling the tank, keep on keeping on and trying to prevent any major concerns.
This is the stage I’m in currently.

My FJ addiction started in the late 60s to early 70s when I was about 8 or 10 years-old. I remember my cousin's husband's brother had a mustard FJ40. We drove out into bumf-cked Lake County CA to look for Lake County diamonds in it. Didn't realize until recently that that memory had etched into my noggin.

Fast-forward to high school years and one of my best friends had a red '72 FJ40. We drove the crap out of that thing and wheeled into and (usually) out of places we had no business being. We're lucky to be alive. Had to be winched a few times, but that adds to the memories.

Years later, my wife and I were married with a little one on the way and somehow I convinced her it was a good idea to add an FJ40 to the collection. I already had my '67 Barracuda, a '63 Corvair Spyder, a '69 Corvette convertible and "her" '72 Mercedes 250C. I picked up a '72 FJ for $1500 and shouldn't have bought it. It was rusty as hell, but was still fun for the year that I had it. Sold it for $1900 and thought I had shut the door on the FJ addiction. I had owned one and that was enough. It just wasn't practical for a young family, we told each other.

Fast forward to 1993... the Barracuda was gone, the Spyder was gone, the '72 Benz had been replaced with an '85 300D "mom's" car and the Corvette was no longer practical, so it was sold. I decided to try the FJ again. This time I found a '69 which had been flopped on its' side for $1900. I called the guy and he said it ran fine, so went to look at it. It ran like crap, the windshield frame was bent and the roll cage was tweaked. I offered the guy $1300 and he took it. I drove it home... barely! By the time I got home, I was so disgusted I couldn't look at it. We were late for a party so I left it in my driveway to be trouble-shot another time.

The next day, with a clear head, I fired it up and raised the hood to a giant sucking sound. The 3/8' vacuum line to the t-case vacuum apply was floating in the breeze. It had come off when the guy flopped it and he never put it back on. I reattached it and it ran GREAT! Win one for me! Next up was to find a windshield frame ($100 with windshield) and to straighten the roll cage. A couple of cuts, some heat and a come-along and it was ready to weld back together.

Over the next year and a half, I painted it myself in the garage. I added some camping accessories and a hitch to it (for small tent trailer) and painted it. The next couple of summers were spent camping all over NorCal with my two boys (around 6 and 4) strapped into a home-made rear seat and bungie cords attaching everything from coolers to sleeping bags wherever they would fit.

One day coming out of Lake Pillsbury with only the bikini top on and half doors in 45 degree weather, I pulled over to make sure the boys were okay in the back, under an army blanket. I peeled back the blanket and steam came rolling out. They were fine (and LOVING it!). Those rear heaters really work!

Sold the FJ in about '96 and picked up a Suburban, then a different Suburban...

Fast forward to 2015... My oldest son, now 27 said to me, "Dad some of my best memories were when we used to kick around all over the place with the red LandCruiser, can you help me find one?". Another win for me! It just so happened that a good friend was selling his Capri Blue '70, so a deal was made. ...And an addiction was rekindled.

In 2020, I was on the hunt for my own FJ40, when I happened upon the 45LV. I made the deal on the LV and then had to sell my '67 GTO. I hated t sell that car, but I really haven't looked back. The LV is a completely different affair, I tell ya!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! Cheers All!

Chuck

67 GTO.jpg

IMG_1596.jpg

IMG_6348 (2).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom