Carolina Troopy Resto"ish" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2nd week of May 2023 update. Body work made substantial progress. All the roof areas have been opened up and rid of the old bondo. Essentially all open rust areas are now patched. The window sills have been repaired and getting ready to fully epoxy the entire body. I left a lot of dents throughout until I fully figure what I want to do with this thing. We pulled so much bondo out it was insane! We used some body filler to smooth out the roof line. The gutter areas were the worst and took a lot of metal work. This Troopy isn't ready for a full resto just yet, but I'll get it on the trails before the end of June.

View attachment 3330633

View attachment 3330634

View attachment 3330636

View attachment 3330637
Looking good

Latest and greatest update May 23rd:

All the holes and window sills are repaired. Body work remains, but still deciding what direction this is going.

Rewired the entire truck, added a "real" 2nd battery managed by RedArc. Winch is now active, compressor, trail lights, 2nd fuel pump and 2nd fuel tank gauges, which were taken apart previously for some reason? One battery tray was relocated behind the driver seat.....even though there's a dual battery tray in the engine bay. Very weird, but that was the easy part. A few new hoses, filters, etc and it was as good as new.

Miscellaneous items done:
Door regulators, new front windshield, new brakes, diff fluid, all fluids......, battery monitoring system, belts, a/c.......ugh!!!!

More to come, but it's almost ready to roll. Next step is finalizing the "final final" plan for the exterior. Interior design in process by my brother in law in Western NY. He's a Trim Carpenter and about to retire from his wood working business and starting interior build outs on vans, rigs, etc. He just built out the interior of his Sprinter Van with Teak and it looks fantastic!

It's going to get interesting over the next few months.....

20230523_170512.jpg

20230523_170549.jpg

20230523_170555.jpg

20230523_175743.jpg

20230523_185208.jpg

Update:

Getting the body 100% ready to paint. Just a few minor dents left. Back to white by Friday. Front and rear bumper just got blasted and powder coated. Ordered some flip up side windows with some rear molle plates from Explore Galzing out of the Netherlands. Interior build out should start in another 2 weeks. Coming along very nicely.
20230919_132156.jpg
20230919_132242.jpg
20230919_132336.jpg
20230919_132351.jpg
20230919_132405.jpg

fellow troopy owner in raeford here who moved from utah. the troopy looks like a friend’s truck in utah (and i’m assuming it is), but crazy small world. i thought i was on a wasatch cruisers forum thread for a second.

looks good, now you got me anxious to deal with the windshield frame rust while it’s still minimal.

fellow troopy owner in raeford here who moved from utah. the troopy looks like a friend’s truck in utah (and i’m assuming it is), but crazy small world. i thought i was on a wasatch cruisers forum thread for a second.

looks good, now you got me anxious to deal with the windshield frame rust while it’s still minimal.
Yup, same truck! It's going to be put back together here in the next few weeks. Media blasting exposed quit a bit of nasty rust and bondo work.

Hopefully see you next year at Relic Run in Uwharrie.

that’s awesome. yeah I hope to get more involved in NC TLCA activities. I’m still in the process of moving the family + buying a house at the moment, but once that all settles hopefully i will cross more paths with fellow troopy’s.

i may have missed it in this thread but did you commit to a pop top conversion?

that’s awesome. yeah I hope to get more involved in NC TLCA activities. I’m still in the process of moving the family + buying a house at the moment, but once that all settles hopefully i will cross more paths with fellow troopy’s.

i may have missed it in this thread but did you commit to a pop top conversion?
Yup. I'm on the thread. Waiting for more info to see if there's enough interest to get them shipped to the East Coast along with the West. Not sure if paying for shipping twice will make it more feasible if they go to California.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom