Builds Bluebonnet - 5.3/H55 FJ40 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Are you still running the original gears? I'm thinking of swapping in 3.70 gears.
I’m still on 4.11 gears with 33s. Most of the time I cruise at 80 mph at 2850 rpm in 5th gear. With 3.70s I’d be at 2570 rpm at the same speed. That’s roughly a 280 rpm difference. Not worth the swap for me, I would rather keep the small off road gearing edge than chase marginal highway rpm improvement.

Last edited:
I’m still on 4.11 gears with 33s. Most of the time I cruise at 80 mph at 2850 rpm in 5th gear. With 3.70s I’d be at 2570 rpm at the same speed. That’s roughly a 280 rpm difference. Not worth the swap for me, I would rather keep the small off road gearing edge than chase marginal highway rpm improvement.
High revving is no issue with an LS. Not the case with the 2Fs.

The 2.5” lift OME goodies came in today. Installed the new springs and bushings and torqued and greased everything up. The new kit didn’t come with new hardware for the shocks so will get those in later.

View attachment 2727582View attachment 2727579View attachment 2727580View attachment 2727581View attachment 2727583View attachment 2727585

Also moved my rear axle to the forwards hole because OME tends to move the rear axle too far forwards in the wheel well and it looks funky. Thanks for the heads up @cruisermatt

View attachment 2727584
@SipLife @cruisermatt I'm having an OME 2" lift installed and hope to run 33's as well on my otherwise stock '70. I see your comment

"Also moved my rear axle to the forwards hole because OME tends to move the rear axle too far forwards in the wheel well and it looks funky. Thanks for the heads up @cruisermatt"

Is this something specific to 40's I need to tell my mechanic to do? If so, what would the exact directive be? Thanks!

@SipLife @cruisermatt I'm having an OME 2" lift installed and hope to run 33's as well on my otherwise stock '70. I see your comment

"Also moved my rear axle to the forwards hole because OME tends to move the rear axle too far forwards in the wheel well and it looks funky. Thanks for the heads up @cruisermatt"

Is this something specific to 40's I need to tell my mechanic to do? If so, what would the exact directive be? Thanks!
It’s an OME specific issue where the rear axle is slightly forward instead of centered in the wheel well opening. Just tell your mechanic to drill a new hole 1” forward of the center hole in your spring perch.

It’s an OME specific issue where the rear axle is slightly forward instead of centered in the wheel well opening. Just tell your mechanic to drill a new hole 1” forward of the center hole in your spring perch.
And a corresponding new hole in the u-bolt plate :)

Getting ready for SAS again this year. Saw a post in the 60 series forums about an amazon universal cable folks were using as a hand throttle. Decided to retrofit one into my 40. I added a bracket to the pedal base to run the cable through and fab’d a bracket to mount the knob where the original parking brake lever used to be.

IMG_8621.jpeg
IMG_8622.jpeg

Really like this unit, it’s stout. You can rotate the knob slightly and get really fine throttle input. The red push button disengagement is also a lot easier to use in a pinch unlike factory setups where you need to rotate 90 degrees and push in to disengage.

IMG_8642.jpeg

Next thing to address was my intake situation. My original routing was always meant to be temporary. The easiest way to route these is towards the passenger side due to the high mount alternator on the driver side. This was not an option for me because I have my battery and vintage air hoses on that side.

My first attempt was to try to mock up a cardboard filter box using a 2001 6.6 Duramax filter. Could not build a box large enough in the space I had without hitting the hood. @thatcabledude told me to use a 4” Spectre high flow air canister he used on a buddy’s LSA rig. The whole setup is held up by 2 T bolt clamps with stand cradles. One fixed to the shroud and the other fixed to the fender using existing mounting points. It does not budge.

IMG_8693.jpeg
IMG_8694.jpeg

Fab’d up a small box to sit up against my ds fresh air vent. Used it to house a 4” aluminum duct mounting plate. I don’t have a brake yet, so don’t judge my redneck engineering :flipoff2:

IMG_8688.jpeg
IMG_8690.jpeg
IMG_8692.jpeg
IMG_8695.jpeg

It was too close for comfort near the front of the alt for me when the hood was shut. Heated it up with a torch and gently tapped a small area in until it cleared. Felt this was cleaner than cutting a piece out, flipping it, and welding it back up.

IMG_8696.jpeg

Last edited:
Looking great! Excellent work.

Thanks man. Look forward to seeing y’all in 21 days!

I'm stressin like every year lol. Too much to get done, never enough time.

I'm stressin like every year lol. Too much to get done, never enough time.
It may have helped if you didn’t decide to swap your entire drivetrain and rear suspension 3 months prior this year lol. I will say preparation is a lot easier this year with the cruiser as the daily 😁

Last edited:
It may have helped if you didn’t decide to swap your entire drivetrain and rear suspension 3 months prior this year lol. I will say preparation is a lot easier this year with the cruiser as the daily 😁
Pretty sure that he’s been working on the swap for almost a year.
I did see it at Cruise Moab it’s one of the cleanest well executed one off swaps I have seen!!
Really nice work DJ !!
Looking forward to seeing y’all at SAS 😎

Last edited:
It may have helped if you didn’t decide to swap your entire drivetrain and rear suspension 3 months prior this year lol.

174ca2d~2.jpg

I did see it at Cruise Moab it’s one of the cleanest well executed one off swaps I have seen!!
Really nice work DJ !!
Looking forward to see y’all at SAS 😎

The swap has been about a year, links maybe 4 months lol. Got that done over spring break. Still only like 200 miles on it though, and that was running with a lot of problems.

Really nice work DJ !!
Looking forward to see y’all at SAS 😎
That was Feb of last year, time for some mountain air o_O. Will be looking for it at SAS, hopefully KOA patrol doesn't find it first.

Another successful SAS trek in the books. Just over 2,000 miles of seat time logged in Bluebonnet. Ouray never disappoints.

IMG_8779.jpeg
IMG_8800.jpeg
IMG_8801.jpeg

IMG_8777.jpeg
IMG_8772.jpeg

This year’s trip didn’t go 100% to plan:

1. Got up on 3 wheels and dug myself in a rut going up a rainy spot on Imogene. Had to get winched out. Not sure what the guy winching me out hooked onto but he broke the upper winch housing of my 8274. If anyone has an empty upper housing available please PM me.

IMG_8793.jpeg

2. I experimented with some early FJ40 rubber motor mounts to get this truck up and running for school. Bad idea. They held up for awhile I but had both sides shear on the trail. Ratchet strapped them and made it off the trail. Thanks to @DangerNoodle and the crew at Profits Resurrection land cruisers for hooking me up with a set of Advance Adapters engine mounts to get me home. @cruisermatt was generous enough to loan me his power tools to pull my intake/headers/engine side motor mounts on both sides. This thing drives way better now and I have less linkage rattle.

IMG_8790.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom