Crossroads - What To Do? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,
So have been nursing my '79 40 for a few years with weak compression in two of the cylinders. Drives fine, no smoke, just reduced power and slow to start. The other day, my clutch went out, like straight to the floor with fluid puked all over the driveway. There's a leak from the power steering pump, and a minor squeal coming from a pulley or maybe the drive belt, not exactly sure. At this point, I'm trying to figure out if I should continue to limp along with just a new clutch? Or, bite the bullet and basically do a minor mechanical restoration with an engine rebuild (or just do an engine swap all together by installing a crate V8 of some kind). Mechanically, everything else is solid as far as I know. Kind of feel like I'm at a crossroads here. Also, our FJ is pretty much strictly a fun/weekend vehicle only. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated!

Would suggest keeping an eye out for someone who has a good used F2 engine for your swap. A lot cheaper than a V8 swap and a lot less downtime. As it’s not urgent, you can wait for a good deal.

I agree, if your clutch pedal went to the floor and there's hydraulic fluid everywhere, it's not your clutch, it's the clutch slave cylinder. It would take you less than an hour to replace and bleed. Your clutch is probably fine.

As to the much bigger can of worms - that's entirely up to you. As others have mentioned, to reduce downtime, I'd find a donor 2F motor to rebuild and swap in so you can keep driving it while you're getting the replacement squared away. I have a cabureted, crate V8 350 in my 40. It came to me this way (with a different engine) but I completely re-did the swap when I got it since the original swap was a complete trainwreck. It's a lot of work, and your reward will be a truck of arguably lower collectible/resale value when you're done, if that's important to you. I do like the V8 for driveability though, but it definitely changes the character of the truck - hotter, louder, faster, but much less of a nice, smooth sewing machine vibe like you get in a 2F.

Ultimately, it just depends on what you want the truck to be when you're done, (plus how much free time you have, or how deep your pockets are!)

If you decide to do the V8 swap route, send me a PM and I can give you the nitty gritty (it's also in my build thread) if you need it.

Much appreciated everyone! I really do like the idea of keeping things as original as possible. Will more than likely keep nursing her along and will remain on the lookout for a good used 2f motor.

@angryitalian , From what you describe, a likely squealing belt, a blown slave cylinder and a power steering leak, all these will have to be repaired regardless of what you do with a engine. As @65swb45 mentioned, determining what's wrong with the current engine and fixing it maybe the cheapest solution. If your fine with how it currently runs, then tune it up as best you can and enjoy it. You can do a lot of repairs for the price of a sbc swap. The swap costs much more than just the price of an sbc.

@angryitalian , From what you describe, a likely squealing belt, a blown slave cylinder and a power steering leak, all these will have to be repaired regardless of what you do with a engine. As @65swb45 mentioned, determining what's wrong with the current engine and fixing it maybe the cheapest solution. If your fine with how it currently runs, then tune it up as best you can and enjoy it. You can do a lot of repairs for the price of a sbc swap. The swap costs much more than just the price of an sbc.
Agreed...going to order the parts and try to give it a go myself. Thanks for the reply!

Don't have exact #'s in front of me, but recall 2 of the cylinders were 15-20% below spec.
Specs are just one part of a much larger picture. Two of the nicest running engines I’ve ever worked on here at the shop were both 20% out of spec.🤷🏻

www.marksoffroad.net

Have you determined if the two cylinders with low compression is in the block or in the head? Cylinder head would be the easiest route for a weekend light use cruiser. DD would be more concerned about the reliability. F 2F engine are not high RPM engines. Low RPM run a long time without issue. If you hear a knock would address right away. But if turned out have valves problem you don't need to pull the engine to get that corrected.

Have you determined if the two cylinders with low compression is in the block or in the head? Cylinder head would be the easiest route for a weekend light use cruiser. DD would be more concerned about the reliability. F 2F engine are not high RPM engines. Low RPM run a long time without issue. If you hear a knock would address right away. But if turned out have valves problem you don't need to pull the engine to get that corrected.
It's in the block. They scoped all the cylinders and it was not a pretty picture at all. All in all the truck still runs really darn good considering. ACC Garage in ATL did a lot of work to it a few years ago. They said just keep driving it...the engines are tough and near impossible to kill.

I'm the dissenter. There's nothing more fun than a topless 40 on a nice day with a nice running V-8, power steering and a well tuned suspension.
It's the quintessential sports car. However , if you do it yourself, it's a younger man's sport. I'm 64, built my first FJ40 sports car in the early 80. Much harder today.
Never have I had a vehicle I enjoyed more. My 6 cylinder Cruiser got me there and back but the 40 with the extra 100+ HP got me there and back smiling.
There's something to be said for one finger steering as you pass that semi uphill on the interstate. If you just want a classic, through and through, stay stock.
If you want the classic look with modern performance ...modify

I'm the dissenter. There's nothing more fun than a topless 40 on a nice day with a nice running V-8, power steering and a well tuned suspension.
It's the quintessential sports car. However , if you do it yourself, it's a younger man's sport. I'm 64, built my first FJ40 sports car in the early 80. Much harder today.
Never have I had a vehicle I enjoyed more. My 6 cylinder Cruiser got me there and back but the 40 with the extra 100+ HP got me there and back smiling.
There's something to be said for one finger steering as you pass that semi uphill on the interstate. If you just want a classic, through and through, stay stock.
If you want the classic look with modern performance ...modify

I agree whole heartily, both my 40's have sbc's, and I wouldn't want a 40 any other way except maybe a BBC. I've run hot to stk sbc's and a BBC in my 1st 40. I started back in the early 80's too. I have to be honest about the OPs issues. They really didn't justify an engine swap, unless he wants to.

Last edited:
Ye
I agree whole heartily, both my 40's have sbc's, and I wouldn't want a 40 any other way except maybe a BBC. I've run hot to stk sbc's and one BBC in my 1st 40. I started back in the early 80's too. I have to be honest about the OPs issues. They really didn't justify an engine swap, unless he wants to.
Yeah at this point I'm going to nurse this 2F until she just can't run any more!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom