Dobinsons IMS fj60 lift (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

IMG_3331 copy.jpg

IMG_2552.JPG

IMG_3848 copy.jpg

First two with stock 15" steelies & 31x10.50 KO2, last pic w 16" FJCO & 235x85x16 KO2

Dobinson's IMS - heavy front and back. Extremely happy with the ride - I was coming from an IFS 4runner with ICON coilovers so I was pretty spoiled - honestly the LC handles the weight better off-road and the ride is very controllable and comfortable. MUCH better than I was expecting.

Last edited:
View attachment 3329980
View attachment 3329981
Dobinson's IMS - heavy front and back. Extremely happy with the ride - I was coming from an IFS 4runner with ICON coilovers so I was pretty spoiled - honestly the LC handles the weight better off-road and the ride is very controllable and comfortable. MUCH better than I was expecting.
It's great to hear that comparison between the 2 vehicles.

Man, that sunset photo is killer!!

It's great to hear that comparison between the 2 vehicles.

Man, that sunset photo is killer!!
Bump from me.

I ordered the Dobinsons IMS shocks from @crikeymike

VERY fast shipping and great service. Thank you.

So far, just had time to get the fronts installed. Someone above noted that it's practically impossible to compress them manually... totally agree... lol. Had to use my bottle jack to get them compressed just enough to slip on to the their perches.

These Dobinsons are so much better than the OME "Sport" shocks that they replaced. A real upgrade.

My OME lift is aging. When the time comes, I'll be replacing it with Dobinsons.

Bump from me.

I ordered the Dobinsons IMS shocks from @crikeymike

VERY fast shipping and great service. Thank you.

So far, just had time to get the fronts installed. Someone above noted that it's practically impossible to compress them manually... totally agree... lol. Had to use my bottle jack to get them compressed just enough to slip on to the their perches.

These Dobinsons are so much better than the OME "Sport" shocks that they replaced. A real upgrade.

My OME lift is aging. When the time comes, I'll be replacing it with Dobinsons.
I did them manually. I put the top on first and compressed as hard as I could with both hands pushing with all my force and muscle up, then as it was expanding quickly put it on the bottom connection. It wasn't easy but these shocks actually work and do what they are suppossed to do. My OME shocks I could easily compress by hand....

I did them manually. I put the top on first and compressed as hard as I could with both hands pushing with all my force and muscle up, then as it was expanding quickly put it on the bottom connection. It wasn't easy but these shocks actually work and do what they are suppossed to do. My OME shocks I could easily compress by hand....
I didn't even both trying to compress them by hand. On the rears, you've encouraged me to give it a go. Same here with my old OMEs.

I didn't even both trying to compress them by hand. On the rears, you've encouraged me to give it a go. Same here with my old OMEs.
They're easier on the eye bottom, stud top shock types, as you slide the lower mount on, then let it decompress/expand upwards into the hole with the washers and bushing already in place.

They're easier on the eye bottom, stud top shock types, as you slide the lower mount on, then let it decompress/expand upwards into the hole with the washers and bushing already in place.
Makes perfect sense. Thank you for the tip. I usually manage to get a project done, but almost always the hard way the first time around... lol.

@crikeymike followed your advice and got the rears installed yesterday. Very straight forward and hand-compressable with a little effort. Now rolling on 4 brand new Dobinsons IMS shocks. Wow, what an upgrade.

Anyone have a link to the dobinson kit with IMS shocks? I thought I saw on a thread somewhere that @TRAIL TAILOR sold them but don't see them listed on their site. Thanks in advance.
Lots of retailers have them. I got mine from @samc2447 at Northwest Design & Fab and it was a great experience.

I am also a Dobinson’s vendor if anyone is interested in a quote.

Is it perspective or is the rear axle not centered in the wheel well anymore?
All leaf spring trucks have the rear axle a hit forward by design as the axle moves backwards when the spring flattens out.

If it is really dramatic like in that case I like to drill the axle perches 1” back

Helps with taking the driveshaft in and out as well

When installing the Dobinsons springs, is it pretty standard practice to install shims of around 4* to correct caster, extended sway bar links (and possibly sway bar bushings), new center pins that accommodate the shims, and new center pin spacers/bushings to hold the axle in place (assuming that the tie rod ends and the steering stabilizer are in good working order)? Are there any other parts that should be installed at the same time? I notice some of the installs in the above photos show a near-perpendicular orientation to the ground for the rear shackles. Can this shackle orientation be made to lay more at an angle by removing a spring from the spring pack? Thanks for any guidance from those who have gone before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom