key fob acting weird (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hello 2 days ago my key fob would not open my doors. now it will unlock the doors and lock the doors when i.press the appropriate button. however, the automstic door handle function has ceased to operate properly. 2014 81k miles no accidents 2nd owner....any ideas will be sppreciated. rob

PS I DID CHANGE THE BATTERY.

Whenever electrical gremlins come and go, I usually think first of corroded connectors from water inside. Sunroof drains and leaky windshields are the usual culprits. Any moisture on carpets, any heavy rains recently, any water in the sills, any windshield work?

Do you have a second fob and is it working ok?

Whenever electrical gremlins come and go, I usually think first of corroded connectors from water inside. Sunroof drains and leaky windshields are the usual culprits. Any moisture on carpets, any heavy rains recently, any water in the sills, any windshield work?

nothing unusual in rain department lots of tree debris....other fob same gremlin....no work done..

hello 2 days ago my key fob would not open my doors. now it will unlock the doors and lock the doors when i.press the appropriate button. however, the automstic door handle function has ceased to operate properly. 2014 81k miles no accidents 2nd owner....any ideas will be sppreciated. rob

PS I DID CHANGE THE BATTERY.
I had the same symptoms and it turned out to be the old favourite—— corroded connectors. It doesn’t seem to take much water, I think car washes will do it.

Sorry, there are numerous posts about water getting into the cabin and corroding the connectors on both sides behind the “kick panels” in the footwells.

Have the bulbs been swapped out to LEDs? This is a known issue with cheaper LEDs, they produce a low level RF that interferes with the keyless system.

I swapped all my bulbs with LEDs from Superbrightleds.com. Much improved lighting inside and out. Buuuuttt... sometimes when I am parking and try to use any of the door handle buttons to lock the doors, nothing happens. If I wait for the interior lights to dim and shut off, the buttons work fine.

Have the bulbs been swapped out to LEDs? This is a known issue with cheaper LEDs, they produce a low level RF that interferes with the keyless system.

I swapped all my bulbs with LEDs from Superbrightleds.com. Much improved lighting inside and out. Buuuuttt... sometimes when I am parking and try to use any of the door handle buttons to lock the doors, nothing happens. If I wait for the interior lights to dim and shut off, the buttons work fine.
man thats crazy.....the handle buttons work fine but the inside handle grips never work..and the fob buttons are hit or miss but totally miss from any distance. Thanks for the reply. Rob

Sorry, there are numerous posts about water getting into the cabin and corroding the connectors on both sides behind the “kick panels” in the footwells.
I had an 07 LX 570 and it would sometimes not start at all. Then get it to the delaler on the AAA truck and bingo, all it needed was a trip to the Dr. after three trips I traded it. Thanks for the reply. Rob

man thats crazy.....the handle buttons work fine but the inside handle grips never work..and the fob buttons are hit or miss but totally miss from any distance. Thanks for the reply. Rob
On mine I couldn’t open the rear gate sometimes from the outside but I could lock it from behind with the fob. I thought that it was the sunroof drains but I’ve come around to believing that it’s either the windshield if it’s been replaced or the cowl. I had the glass guys re-install one windshield after they found a leak and I think it was still leaking later so I'm leaning towards needing a new cowl.

On mine I couldn’t open the rear gate sometimes from the outside but I could lock it from behind with the fob. I thought that it was the sunroof drains but I’ve come around to believing that it’s either the windshield if it’s been replaced or the cowl. I had the glass guys re-install one windshield after they found a leak and I think it was still leaking later so I'm leaning towards needing a new cowl.
thats crazy how a leak causes electrical....thanks

Wait until your seat heater lights come on. And I think I had the window switches quit working on the drivers door.

Wait until your seat heater lights come on. And I think I had the window switches quit working on the drivers door.
dude!!!! that exact thing happened psngr seat heater died and window stopped working halfway down...the psngr window actuator finally got the wondow up but the seat heaters never did work...lexus dealers could not diagnose...dang youda thunk right???

Talking about keyfobs and opening doors I’ll sneak in here for a little off topic
-> is it normal that only the drivers door opens wenn unlocking the car with the key in my pants instead of all doors when I press the button?
Is this programmabe?

Oh and for your problem. Yes you changed the battery but did you also cleaned the contacts? Try to clean them or sandpaper them a little bit or scratch them with a coin. Sounds rly like bad contact and then depending on the daytime, weather or other things you get a connection to the battery or not.

Talking about keyfobs and opening doors I’ll sneak in here for a little off topic
-> is it normal that only the drivers door opens wenn unlocking the car with the key in my pants instead of all doors when I press the button?
Is this programmabe?
Yes, this is programmable. I think the default is to only unlock the driver's door, but the rest of the doors if you hit the button again. You can change it so all the doors unlock with one press. Check the Owner's Manual.

i had just had it washed 2 days before, i took it to toyota today and they replaced the fobs and programed them. but to no avail. still a problem.

yep and nope now i have 2 new ones factory fresh but they do not work either...warranty work thank goodness

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom