LHD vs RHD resale difference (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
There are some really clean RHD 80 Series coming out of Japan plus they have the diesel motors. How big of a hit is it to resale a RHD down the road? Do you feel it makes it 5%? 10%? less valuable?

Being RHD sure makes it less valuable, but jdm's allows you to get some very nice ones.
However, jdm's offer the "Forbidden fruits" like the diesel powerplants.
Try finding a fzj80, with a 1hdft/1hdfte swapped engine in a pristine condition in a lhd, i bet its gonna be worth 75k$.
I have seen the forbidden fruit among the forbidden fruits one day, it was a european LHD hdj80 1995, 1hdft, no abs, no airbags, with manual transmission and it was for sale at 85k$, imo this is the most rugged non-computerized truck setup money can buy.

Buy that pristine diesel and swap whatever you can of it into your 80. Problem. Solved. :)

I would think a diesel RHD 80 will hold its value in the event you decide to sell.

Definitely a smaller market demand for these units so they don't have the potential to appreciate in value so much as a nice LHD 80.

Not sure if auction sites such as BAT even list RHD trucks? Dunno how White Stripe came up with his estimate. He's probably right, though my wild guess would be even a larger percentage less valuable.

I can't quote numbers But the gap seem to be get smaller !

LHD will always be worth SIGNIFICANTLY more than RHD. Nobody will be able to give you an exact % though. If i was to guess, i'd say a LHD rig is worth 50-100% more than RHD in same condition. There is a huge proportion of potential higher-end LC buyers who would never consider owning/buying a RHD rig in a LHD country, so the pool of buyers is much smaller (meaning lower prices).

Just go through the classified, I don't think the gap is as big as some are saying 🤷‍♂️
That being said, I would not consider a RHD then again I don't like the smell or noise of a Diesel on the trail !!
JMO the people that have LHD Diesel Cruisers seem to think there worth way more ! 50-100% more 😂

Just go through the classified, I don't think the gap is as big as some are saying 🤷‍♂️
That being said, I would not consider a RHD then again I don't like the smell or noise of a Diesel on the trail !!
JMO the people that have LHD Diesel Cruisers seem to think there worth way more ! 50-100% more 😂

The gap is definitely smaller for cruisers on the lower-end of the spectrum (in terms of overall condition). This is what you typically see in classifieds. But as you approach the higher end of the spectrum, the gap starts increasing. And yes, it will easily be 50-100%++ more on the highest end. There is VERY FEW (if any) buyers for a top tier LC in US that would ever consider a RHD rig.

Last edited:
Does this change when it comes to 70 Series?

Does this change when it comes to 70 Series?
I would think LHD 70 series even more valuable in comparison to RHD because they're far less common, especially a truck with something besides the lackluster 3B engine.

There are some really clean RHD 80 Series coming out of Japan plus they have the diesel motors. How big of a hit is it to resale a RHD down the road? Do you feel it makes it 5%? 10%? less valuable?
All about where you’re selling it. My RHD cruiser gets a lot of attention in California, meanwhile, nobody cared for it in South Carolina when I bought it. I imagine in a more traditional state, a lot of folks just want a cruiser that’s ready to go, easy to adapt to. Meanwhile in a place like California, I imagine I could get away with charging MORE for it being RHD because there is a RHD drive scene here. These are just my opinions though!

If a RHD HDJ80 was valued at $20k, I'd pay $25k for a LHD version of equivalent condition. And when I say LHD, I mean originally LHD, not converted.

If a RHD HDJ80 was valued at $20k, I'd pay $25k for a LHD version of equivalent condition. And when I say LHD, I mean originally LHD, not converted.
That sounds about right.
But it not 50 to 100% more like some claim 😉

I would say a RHD in the USA is about 50 to 60% less valuable than a LHD.

I'd say you're out of your mind

Come over to washington and compare prices

My 1991 hdj81 with no lockers and 145k miles was 23k. You think a 91 with a 3fe is gonna pull 20k. Gtfo

A 3fe is the least desirable of all 80 series as they have the least amount of power and dont have a full float rear. So I guess I would consider the 3fe an exception. Although they bring in more and more every year. But for the most part LHD vs RHD seems to have a big price difference. My earlier post was a rough ballpark off the top of my head. RHD struggles to sell for more than 25k from what I see even at low 100k miles or so. A LHD with low miles seems to break well into the 30k to 40k range. If you want a really really nice 80 series for a great deal and dont mind going into a drive through in reverse to get a big mac, or using the windshield wipers as a indicator your changing lanes a RHD seems to give you the most bang for your buck. Here are some examples...

No Reserve: 1991 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ80 - https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1991-toyota-land-cruiser-fj80-46/

Last edited:
It's area dependant for sure

The cheapest rhd near me is 23k and the most expensive 80 series is 30k. There are a few 70s in the high 30s.

A 3fe is the least desirable of all 80 series as they have the least amount of power and dont have a full float rear. So I guess I would consider the 3fe an exception. Although they bring in more and more every year. But for the most part LHD vs RHD seems to have a big price difference. My earlier post was a rough ballpark off the top of my head. RHD struggles to sell for more than 25k from what I see even at low 100k miles or so. A LHD with low miles seems to break well into the 30k to 40k range. If you want a really really nice 80 series for a great deal and dont mind going into a drive through in reverse to get a big mac, or using the windshield wipers as a indicator your changing lanes a RHD seems to give you the most bang for your buck. Here are some examples...

No Reserve: 1991 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ80 - https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1991-toyota-land-cruiser-fj80-46/

I've had a rhd for almost 2 years. Drive thrus are easy. I don't go backwards I just lean across. You people make it seem like it's the end of the world.

It takes 2-3 days to get used to the wiper vs blinker stalk. It's not any harder than switching between my 5 cars and trying to remember where a switch or knob is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom