Dobinsons IMS fj60 lift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looking to purchase this kit for my fj60...pro's and con's for this setup? Any picture, before and after?
There's a rear IMS shock that would work on the 60, but nothing has come in for the front shocks yet. Everyone running Dobinsons on a 60 series is using the full kit the same that was linked in that last post, with the twin tube nitro shocks. Same as listed here: Dobinsons Full 2.0" Suspension Kit for Toyota Land Cruiser 60/62 Series 1980 to 1989 | Exit Offroad

Edit: Website updated. IMS shocks front and rear are now in stock too.

Last edited:
Bump. Any more info out there on the IMS set up? Is it worth the extra $500? Like OP said, pros and cons, or any personal experience would be really appreciated. I run OME 2" medium on my 85, and its a bit harsh (we live in Philly - ALL the streets are trash). Looking for a set up on my partners 83. I wouldn't hate for her truck to be a bit more comfortable to romp around in.

I've sold the IMS kit to a few forum guys, but no one has posted their review or feelings about it. Hopefully they'll see this thread and post up some helpful info!!

I've sold the IMS kit to a few forum guys, but no one has posted their review or feelings about it. Hopefully they'll see this thread and post up some helpful info!!

Thanks. I ended up ordering the standard twin tube setup. I spoke to a few people who had experience with both set ups. The consensus was I would not notice a difference in ride quality. Only the IMS would perform better over longer periods of hard use on trails.

I could do a review after a few hundred miles against the OME 2” on my 85. I didn’t find a ton of information on Dobinsons in general (VS OME)

I have the MRR on my 60. I’ve installed 3 on 60s. 2 on 200s.

I have IMS on 3 40s and my 80.

The IMS and MRR share the same body.

Personally I prefer the IMS for most applications because Dobinsons has that shock super dialed in.

The only complaint about the MRR is that it
Is so adjustable I find myself always messing with them.

My 60 rides great.

Here are two of them.

78CCBC10-0D95-4E7B-A5F1-14D60291D9BB.jpeg

F83B3681-C3E7-4F7F-8E1B-C0C24E09CFA6.jpeg

F6F3DAA6-53EF-4A7C-8FDB-A872B74C329E.jpeg

99A23758-6440-4EB9-9DDA-F4C352E7D1FE.jpeg

Personally I prefer the IMS for most applications because Dobinsons has that shock super dialed in.

My 60 rides great.

Here are two of them.

View attachment 2981455

View attachment 2981458

View attachment 2981459

View attachment 2981460

You don't happen to have measurements or part numbers on those shocks for lengths closed/open? Looking at them for mine, but I don't have a dobinsons lift.

You don't happen to have measurements or part numbers on those shocks for lengths closed/open? Looking at them for mine, but I don't have a dobinsons lift.
Good luck trying to close one manually. I showed my buddy a set of IMS today next to brand new yellow OME and new Rough Country and we just laughed.

My 60 rides great.

Here are two of them.

These look great. Thanks for sharing. Are these 7 spring pack F and R? I hear you on over adjustability. I’ve had damper adjustable coil over setups before, and it always made me doubt I had it dialed.

Both sets of Dobinsons on FJ60s were Heavy front and medium rear. First time I chose that combination so I could adjust the springs down to my choosing versus having to go buy more leafs to add.

I ended up taking 2 leafs out. Can’t remember the final number but my Build thread is thread marked. See signature.

The second set was the same because of availability and I took the same ones out.

Dobinsons uses thinner leaves with more arch than OEM with no pads between the leaves. They are designed when new for the shackles to be vertical.

All new stuff to me but man they ride and flex incredibly

Not sure this helps but I posted this when I upgraded my suspension with a dobinsons kit (not IMS shocks):

Update: 1 year in and 3k mikes or so. Love the set up. Settled less that 1/4” even with sliders and front bumper/8274. Their entry level shock (yellow) is just ok. Eventually, will replace with stiffer option.

IMG_6368.jpeg

IMG_6802.jpeg

IMG_8769.jpeg

Thanks for sharing the photos. It's looking much more settled now, and a bit of dirt on it to help give it that proper land cruiser look too. haha
Thanks, Mike. I’ve purchased both Dobinsons 40 & 60 set ups from Exit Off-road. Superb service, availability & fast shipping.

IMG_8303_Original.jpeg

IMG_8389.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom