Clutch Slave Piston Rod / Seal Question (FIXED: User Error) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Some how my clutch slave piston rod is coming out of the cylinder and getting stuck - thereby not allowing the clutch to fully engage.

Question: I can adjust it, but do I need a new slave cylinder? Is this pistol seal bad? (I have not removed from the vehicle).

i've been driving it for 15 years and not one issue (turned the flywheel and installed a new centerforce pressure plate and clutch disc back then). Today, I go to back up to do some painting and no go. I was stunned!

Is the spring on the slave cylinder in place?

The exterior return spring? Yes. Or are you referring to the internal spring? Pictured
98c767181d27dd20462212656391ba87.jpg

The exterior return spring? Yes.
Yes, the one on the outside. It should be right up against the end of the pushrod. Maybe adjust/lengthen the pushrod?
A cylinder rebuild might be due after 15 years...

Well crud! I made sure the rod stayed in the piston and engaged the transmission and then released. No worky!

What causes the clutch fork to fully go neutral? Just that external return spring?

Last edited:
Funny you should ask!

I have a new one ready to go in because it has been leaking. But has never gotten too low. But it disengages the clutch so I can work the transmission.

Would a bad master cylinder prevent the clutch from engaging all the way?

If you can't laugh at yourself............... I found and fixed the problem. I have the interior in various stages of disassembly, including a sub-cover on the transmission cover (I was fixed the reverse lights and needed to connect to the transmission).

Sometime in the last 2 months, I knocked the transfer case into Neutral. AKA "No Go"

But I am replacing my Clutch Master and plan to rebuild my slave cylinder.

4cc.jpg

If the master piston was sticking and not giving full travel it might keep the slave piston from retracting fully. I think.
You should always usually rebuild or replace the clutch cylinders as a pair. Rebuild kits are not expensive and Kurt usually always has them in stock.
Something strange like this in such a simple system probably just needs to be taken apart and put back together.

You mentioned the clutch slave rod coming out of the housing and getting stuck. Your clutch master and slave need to have the correct paired size. If the master pushes too much fluid it will push the slave to far and could dislodge the rod. If the clutch master is too small then the slave will not move the fork far enough to disengage the clutch. That is why I asked it the master had been changed.

Thanks - I agree on the potential mismatch. I have a new complete master sitting in my garage. just ordered a Toyota OEM slave rebuild kit and a new clutch fork spring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom