Squeaky Front right Icon Strut help! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey All,

Anyone running Icon stage 2 shocks and have dealt with an annoying squeaky front strut? More info below:

- Started a couple weeks after getting new OEM lower control arms and cv axles on both sides.
- I know for certain it's coming from the strut. I checked everywhere else.
- Went away temporarily when it was cold and more humid, but is back now.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

_DSC2434.jpg

I'm watching this thread because i have icon struts up front too and annoying squeak on both sides. I didnt think it was the struts because i mounted a demello bumper too and thought something is sqeaking there.

Im wondering how did you isolate it to the struts?

I'm watching this thread because i have icon struts up front too and annoying squeak on both sides. I didnt think it was the struts because i mounted a demello bumper too and thought something is sqeaking there.

I feel your pain!

I ruled out the upper control arms and delta joint, by jacking up the truck greasing them and moving them up and down. Then had a friend bounce the truck up and down while I had my hand on the strut and springs. I could feel and hear the noise coming from the top of the strut.

Someone on the FB GXOR page had this suggestion:
"With the vehicle on its own weight. Mark the lower control arm cam tabs. Loosen the 4 lower control arm bolts and then re-torque to factory spec. Try that first.
Also check where the lower shock mounts to the control arm. Make sure the thicker spacers on the lower shock is towards the front of the vehicle."

This is very interesting.

I have icon coilovers up front. I have an annoying suspension squeak.

Mine also goes away / quiets down in the cold and has gotten out of hand with the warm, humid GA weather.

I also lifted the truck and tested the UCAs and LCAs by hand, and ruled them out.

if it helps with troubleshooting, my spacers are set up correctly: long one in front.

How old are the icons? The rubber oring on the shaft seal could be hardening if they have been run for a while or seen hard duty use.

Try squirting some WD or triflo on the shaft and cycling the suspension. If the squeak lessens, it is likely components wearing and needing a rebuild.

Remember, most Icons don't go much more than 20-30k without service.

Thanks @GXO. Gonna give that a try today if the weather holds.

Mine have 20K on them, almost all city or highway. The squeak started last summer.

How old are the icons? The rubber oring on the shaft seal could be hardening if they have been run for a while or seen hard duty use.

Try squirting some WD or triflo on the shaft and cycling the suspension. If the squeak lessens, it is likely components wearing and needing a rebuild.

Mine are relatively new, 5k miles tops. But lll try this.

Mine were put on by the previous owner about 3 years ago, and I've definitely wheeled it since owning the truck. I'm hoping to not rebuild them yet. I'll try spraying in there.

What's interesting is that it only started after the new lower control arms and cv axles were installed.

Mine was the front coilovers.

I blasted the piston on the drivers side with white lithium. Bounced on the truck, no squeak from that side.

Did the same on the passenger side: no squeak.

Happy to have finally figured this noise out, but disappointed to see this after 23K road miles. The most off roading this truck has done is the gravel driveway at my ex’s place.

Icon suggests 40K rebuild intervals for highway / street use.

Gonna plan out new suspension and keep blasting with white lithium to manage noise.

Mine was the front coilovers.

I blasted the piston on the drivers side with white lithium. Bounced on the truck, no squeak from that side.

Did the same on the passenger side: no squeak.

Happy to have finally figured this noise out, but disappointed to see this after 23K road miles. The most off roading this truck has done is the gravel driveway at my ex’s place.

Icon suggests 40K rebuild intervals for highway / street use.

Gonna plan out new suspension and keep blasting with white lithium to manage noise.
It will likely keep the quiet for a long time. The bigger issue with Icon is that they like to be clean. Don't leave them dirty and throw some lube on the shaft to keep those orings happen.

It will likely keep the quiet for a long time. The bigger issue with Icon is that they like to be clean. Don't leave them dirty and throw some lube on the shaft to keep those orings happen.
Agreed.. I don't think they can handle much filth for long. I found the noise I was experiencing from 2 sources. The demello bumper was making light contact with the oem bumper cover mount ear on both sides. I tweaked the ear away from the bumper and squeak solved there. The other was the icon shocks. Clean and lube both sides and now that noise fixed.. yea!!

I've never used white lithium but will pick some up and try it out. I'll just make sure not to get it on any rubber.

Thanks!

White lithium grease most often has a petroleum base. Due to its formulation, it’s unadvisable to use it near or on rubber or plastic. This can cause premature degradation of the material.

A silicone based lubricant is a better choice.

I've never used white lithium but will pick some up and try it out. I'll just make sure not to get it on any rubber.

Thanks!

Triflow silicone is pretty good.

I've been meaning to post an update.

The triflow got rid of the noise, but it came back recently after I went camping, and drove through some mud lol

I just washed the truck and sprayed some more, which seems to have helped. I'm just not sure if I'm covering up an actual issue with the strut. I don't see anything leaking, which is good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom