F engine whine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello -

My engine sounds distinctly different when cold vs. after warmed up. It seems to have somewhat of a high-pitched whine after about 5 minutes of runtime. This is my first FJ40 so honestly I don't know what sounds normal.

here are two videos, one just after starting

and one after the engine has warmed up. Any idea if there's a problem here?

Oil pressure and temps all seem fine and it runs smoothly.

thanks in advance for any advice you might have. I've learned so much from this community.

Cant hear a whine but the lope when warm is probably a carb adjustment, warm air riser working ? choke working ?

I heard it, you're not crazy, but I can't imagine what it could be. I don't think it is inside the engine. You could try a squirt bottle of water and after it starts hit the fan belt and pulleys to see if it goes away.

I heard it, you're not crazy, but I can't imagine what it could be. I don't think it is inside the engine. You could try a squirt bottle of water and after it starts hit the fan belt and pulleys to see if it goes away.
ok good idea. I'll try it.

and thanks for validation. I was starting to think I'm hearing things...

That’s a weird sound, but probably not a crisis. I’d first investigate belts, too. If it’s not that obvious, it’ll get a bit trickier from there. You’ll need to remove the belts to reduce the extra noise and try to isolate the sound further.

That’s a weird sound, but probably not a crisis. I’d first investigate belts, too. If it’s not that obvious, it’ll get a bit trickier from there. You’ll need to remove the belts to reduce the extra noise and try to isolate the sound further.
ok thank you. It definitely seems like it's coming from the front. sprayed several spots with water but wasn't able to pinpoint anything.

I put a brand new water pump on it, but if I didn't know better I'd say that's where the sound is coming from.

and helpful to know it's probably not a crisis situation.

You'll get a better idea on where the noise is once the belts are off. The water pump is a good guess. I suppose if the thermostat isn't positioned correctly or the seal is unseated, water could be pushing past and creating that noise. When it warms up and opens, no noise. It that noise goes away entirely when the pulleys aren't spinning, you've really narrowed it down to not very critical problems.

if it was recently rebuilt by someone other than an experienced F/2F builder, you might be getting a timing gear whine if the builder did
not line up the oil squirter to where the gears mesh. I've seen it twice in 25 years. I couldn't hear in the video but it would sound a bit like a dentist's drill

1684523625147.png

if it was recently rebuilt by someone other than an experienced F/2F builder, you might be getting a timing gear whine if the builder did
not line up the oil squirter to where the gears mesh. I've seen it twice in 25 years. I couldn't hear in the video but it would sound a bit like a dentist's drill

View attachment 3327044
thanks so much for this. I did just remove the belt and could still hear the whine without the alternator and water pump. so I'm afraid it's inside the engine somewhere.

really frustrating. it sounds nice and quiet like a sewing machine when first started, then the whine starts as it warms up. I'll do some homework on the timing gear oiler.

The oiler is brass. I've seen them wear at the shoulder to the point that when tightened they go past the point where the oil jet
hole aims away from the gears. The oiler threads into a flat backing plate for the timing cover. I had one customer whose motor had an oiler
that drove in so far in protruded out the back of the backing plate so the plate would not sit flush on the block and engine oil escaped between the plate and block.
It came back from the rebuilder this way. If you do break into the timing gears be conscious of the possible issues. It should line up with the gears but not protrude out the back. If it does, you can take a grinder with a flap wheel and smooth it flush

The oiler is brass. I've seen them wear at the shoulder to the point that when tightened they go past the point where the oil jet
hole aims away from the gears. The oiler threads into a flat backing plate for the timing cover. I had one customer whose motor had an oiler
that drove in so far in protruded out the back of the backing plate so the plate would not sit flush on the block and engine oil escaped between the plate and block.
It came back from the rebuilder this way. If you do break into the timing gears be conscious of the possible issues. It should line up with the gears but not protrude out the back. If it does, you can take a grinder with a flap wheel and smooth it flush
ok thank you. I'm trying to get the courage to take this on, because it sounds like the most likely culprit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom