LX470 '06 headlight upgrade! Glass/polycarb and LED or HID (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey folks,

I'm planning to upgrade my 06 LX headlight situation. I already have the projector brackets from LB Lightwerks but am now planning the rest of it.

My lights have seen better dates so I was considering buying a new stock pair (seems that $750 is about the going rate). Any thoughts on glass vs polycarb housing? I'm assuming that the glass ones are the 99-02 and they would fit perfectly in an 06?

Also as I plan my projectors, any thoughts on LED vs HID? I have some HIDs in there at the moment but the performance is pretty poor because of the OEM projectors.

Cheers,
Francis

Welcome to the deep rabbit hole of HL retrofitting lol.

Yes all LX470 HLs are interchangeable to all year models.
If you have the bracket from LB, I believe it’s design is for Mini H1 projectors only (2.5 inch diameter lens). I know this because this was my previous setup, I used the LB bracket, Morimoto 50W ballasts, Morimoto 6000 Kelvin HID bulbs and Morimoto Mini H1 8.0 projector lens - for me it was a decent setup, it was actually good. Did all the work myself, here’s an output photo:
IMG_2498.jpeg

Glass vs Polycarbonate lens;
• glass doesn’t yellow however doesn’t flex as much and would potentially crack if hit hard than polycarbonate.
• glass is heavy and requires careful handling, that being said if this is your first retrofit work, proceed with caution and patience.
• if the glass lens have pitting, it’s their permanently.
• if the polycarbonate lens have pitting, which is not as deep as the glass because PC flexes on rock impacts, it can be repaired by wet-sanding 600, 800, 1200 and 1500 grit finished with a fresh coat of 2k clear.
• glass HLs cost more than polycarbonate.

HID vs LED;
• HID has more options in terms of color temperature, LED I believe has only one (6000 Kelvin).
• HiD - when you use a higher wattage ballast, the color temperature of the output of the HID bulb steps down (towards the yellowish range).
- HID pre-heats (analog), while LED is light on demand (digital, either on or off).
- Aftermarket projectors like Morimoto are designed for HID, not LED. Although it will atill give a decent output spread, to get the full potential of the optic design of the projector, HiD will give that, not LED.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply! Yes it does seem to be a bit of a rabbit hole but hopefully a big improvement on stock which my Tesla Model 3 with the matrix LED headlights has been making me realize more and more.

What did you move on to in the end? I'm fine with HIDs to be honest so maybe I'll just go with the Morimoto mini H1 8.0s..

It’s a day and night difference going to an HID + projector setup. The morimoto H1s + HID system can closely compete with your Tesla LED headlights. Wide coverage, light output is intense and you have a controlled light cut off these are the things I immediately liked about that setup. I eventually looked for “more” so after about a year, I sold it and a buddy took ownership of that HL build.
I recently finished my personal custom quad-LED projectors (around 45,000+ effective lumens) set. Built it ground up all brand new components including the housing.

Before & After:
3D2DA37F-225D-4604-80A3-DFBE6A6C5C6D.jpeg

IMG_1105.jpeg

Only trade off with this setup is that it’s very bright, too bright that if the car in front of me during a stop is a color white or silver and it’s shiny, and spacing is about 6-ft away close, that intense light bounces back to me, so I now have to give more space to avoid the intense light ricocheting. But a what a beast this is in the freeway, covers upto 5 lanes and just has tons of foregrounding light. The HL housing that I have btw has glass lens, for additional protection I applied PPF on the lens.

I used the LB bracket, Morimoto 50W ballasts, Morimoto 6000 Kelvin HID bulbs and Morimoto Mini H1 8.0 projector lens

If I get those four things, then do I have everything I need to convert my current stock polycarbonate 06 low headlamps? I assume this is that whole process of baking the lamps open, modifying the reflectors, etc.? The high lamps are sufficient for me, the lows suck even after lense restoration.

I had Luke (LB) build me a set of lights with the D2S projectors. Easily one of the best mods I’ve done to my car. It’s crazy how much better these lights are compared to stock.

If I get those four things, then do I have everything I need to convert my current stock polycarbonate 06 low headlamps?
Correct. Don’t forget to get yourself butyl rubber - that’t for creating that perfect seal of your lens and the housing to ensure it doesn’t get moisture.
I assume this is that whole process of baking the lamps open, modifying the reflectors, etc.?
Yes it is. Preheat the oven to 235°F, put a block of wood between the oven grill and HLs to avoid melting the bottom of the housing, bake on the same 235°F temp for 9 minutes, remove from oven and slowly pry out the lens from the housing. Use gloves, that thing is hot.
IMG_0928.jpeg

The high lamps are sufficient for me, the lows suck even after lense restoration.

I talked to a bunch of sales reps and watched a ton of YouTube videos. The common theme I got was the led technology has gotten a lot better recently and it was a better option than HID. I ordered some OEM glass headlights off eBay and will be putting led bulbs in. I'm waiting on my PPF film so not done yet but I went with Hikari 2023 H1 bulbs and was going to go with morimoto 2 stroke 3.0 for the 9005 but tried out some Fahren Kregis 2023. The reviews said they work with DRL and they were cheap. Here is a picture of the light output from my right side headlights vs stock setup.

IMG_9379.jpeg

IMG_9378.jpeg

IMG_9376.jpeg

IMG_9375.jpeg

I talked to a bunch of sales reps and watched a ton of YouTube videos. The common theme I got was the led technology has gotten a lot better recently and it was a better option than HID. I ordered some OEM glass headlights off eBay and will be putting led bulbs in. I'm waiting on my PPF film so not done yet but I went with Hikari 2023 H1 bulbs and was going to go with morimoto 2 stroke 3.0 for the 9005 but tried out some Fahren Kregis 2023. The reviews said they work with DRL and they were cheap. Here is a picture of the light output from my right side headlights vs stock setup.

View attachment 3324625

View attachment 3324626

View attachment 3324627

View attachment 3324628
I think the reason why people are leaning towards the hid projector retrofit is for the sharp cutoff and clean bright light that doesn’t blind oncoming drivers.

View attachment 3324625

View attachment 3324626

View attachment 3324627

View attachment 3324628
Not bad, for reference this was when I had oem projectors with 35w generic HID kit.
IMG_0102.jpeg

Those 4x elongated dots are what we call squirrel finders (for reflectorized road signs) but can be blinding for low sitting vehicles like sedans.

The difference between Morimoto Mini H1 8.0 (left) and OEM Koito (right) projectors.
IMG_0866.jpeg

The clearer the better more focused light foregrounding.

Not bad, for reference this was when I had oem projectors with 35w generic HID kit.
View attachment 3324846
Those 4x elongated dots are what we call squirrel finders (for reflectorized road signs) but can be blinding for low sitting vehicles like sedans.

The difference between Morimoto Mini H1 8.0 (left) and OEM Koito (right) projectors.

To block off the Squirrel finders, just mix a small dab of JB Weld, and use the end of a stick (disposable wooden chopsticks work great)...

Remove the HL assy, remove the bulb, and dab the holes in the projector with the sticks. Plugs up the holes easily. I did this to my stock LX projectors w/ HID's 16 yrs ago, and still fine. No problem w/ oncoming traffic. No blinding anyone.
(will be doing the Morimoto projector swap some day tho)

Been looking to do the LB retrofit and have all of the components. I'm also in the same boat considering a lens replacement. My questions are:

1. Could PPF be used to coat the new lens to sufficiently prevent (most) rock chip/pitting that would normally occur?
2. What is the part # for the glass lens vs newer Polycarbonate? Or is it just the specification of the year?

Been looking to do the LB retrofit and have all of the components. I'm also in the same boat considering a lens replacement. My questions are:

1. Could PPF be used to coat the new lens to sufficiently prevent (most) rock chip/pitting that would normally occur?
Yes a PPF can definitely help protect the LX/LC HL lens. Our HL lens is almost close to vertical so when a rock hits it at 70mph, the principle of ricochet doesn’t apply much. That’s why you see a lot of our trucks with pitted and banged up HL lens. My post above (post #4) that HL that I just finished has a clear PPF on the lens just near invisible to see but it’s there.
2. What is the part # for the glass lens vs newer Polycarbonate? Or is it just the specification of the year?
I personally haven’t seen anywhere online of an aftermarket lens made from glass. I know because this was my first option. Replacement polycarbonate lens -Yes a couple in eBay. All LX replacement polycarbonate lens work on all LX470 year models.

LaminX actually makes a thick clear protective film specifically to protect headlights. It's 1-2mm thick and somewhat flexible, can take quite an impact and protect the headlamp. I don't see a precut shape for our cars on their site, but you can always buy a piece and cut it yourself. I've used it on some other cars where replacement lenses are NLA or are super expensive. If they had enough demand they'd probably add a precut for our cars to their application list.

Here's the link to their universal sheets for self-cut: Custom Headlight Tint | Purchase Universal Headlight Tint & Protection Film Online - Lamin-x - https://lamin-x.com/universal-products/universal-sheets/

I just installed some weather tech lamp guard. It’s pre cut and goes on pretty easy. Only .08 mm so not as think but should protect pretty well. It has film for all the lights on the front. Fog, side markers and headlights

IMG_9526.jpeg

IMG_9528.jpeg

Went to San Diego CA last weekend and got the chance to take an output shot in the i15 @ 80+mph
IMG_1415.jpeg

Awesome, I just ordered my new headlights from Bell Lexus with the 17% discount! Can't wait for upgrade :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom