What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (43 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

New hubcaps! I’ve never had a set in 43 years of ownership, but it’s way past time for new tires, so the rims are getting powder coated, a set of Kenda Klever 33x9.50-15 and s
Fixed a leaking radiator hose plus replaced the belts for the alternator and power steering. No leaking or squeaking so far. Going to take it for a test drive now. 👍

View attachment 3324658
Hey I like those tires, what brand/model are those?

Mother’s Day request, the wife wanted the hard top off. The Hard top came off without a hitch, had to take it off to do the headliner anyways. Then the sides and rear window. Dug out the best top to throw on for now and rolled up the back end.
Now I am debating on a regular soft top (FST clone) or just a bikini top. I do have quick hinges (need to paint and then install), should I decide to take the doors off sometime this summer.

View attachment 3322770

View attachment 3322771

View attachment 3322772
How and what are those shoulder mount points attached? Closer pics please. Is that a secure enough mount? Im going to weld a tab in the corner of the roll bar. How is the lower seat belt holder mounted?

Every automotive commenter tries to make the point that the overseas spec Land Cruisers are too austere for American tastes.

Meanwhile, Ford Broncos and Jeep Wranglers and derivatives have been flying out of car dealer lots for the last few decades the marketing geniuses at Toyota have surrendered that market.

Toyota marketers need to be spanked.

Doesn’t the fact that Jeep and Ford are domestic makes give them some advantages?

Not trolling, it’s a genuine question. I thought that there were some import restrictions or regulations as it relates to fleet-wide mileage averages and they disadvantage Toyota if they are bringing in more vehicles with lower MPGs.

How and what are those shoulder mount points attached? Closer pics please. Is that a secure enough mount? Im going to weld a tab in the corner of the roll bar. How is the lower seat belt holder mounted?
I made the brackets, you can see them in a later post #33,872. At the bottom you can see the flange that mounts inside the rear part of the tub. Its quite solid and holds my fat ass as I pull my self in to the truck. The latch side of the seat belt is bolted to the seat frame and then to the body. I dont know if this would work on standard sheet metal as mine is a Tub made by Wally up in VT. Most of it is 1/8" steel and will outlast everything else on the truck.

New hubcaps! I’ve never had a set in 43 years of ownership, but it’s way past time for new tires, so the rims are getting powder coated, a set of Kenda Klever 33x9.50-15 and s

Hey I like those tires, what brand/model are those?
Those are 35" ProComp X Terrains that are about 15 years old. Got them from 4 wheel parts when they did a buy 3 get 1 free sale. Excellent tire in the mud, snow or sand plus they ride nice on dry pavement. Liked them so much that I put 33s on my old Tacoma as well.

IMG_20140503_090400070_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
I started tearing down the hard top and rain gutter. Interestingly I found some evidence of a hood flying up and breaking the rain gutter. At some point the front thin part of the rain gutter was riveted back together at the same place on each side. Some real redneck engineering. Was done so well it looked factory. Yesterday I welded it all back. Its not the best welding job but its better than these little metal brackets holding it together with riviets. I still need to plug the little holes drilled for the non factory riviets. and cut out rust and started the sanding process on the fiber glass part.
IMG_2866.JPG
IMG_2828 2.JPG
IMG_2864.JPG

Doesn’t the fact that Jeep and Ford are domestic makes give them some advantages?

How is jeep a domestic anymore than Toyota. Both are foreign owned and both build vehicles in the US. Jeep is a Fiat company. Land Rover is no longer a British vehicle. It's owned from India . Just love asking Ram and Jeep owner how do they like their Fiat.

Not trolling, it’s a genuine question. I thought that there were some import restrictions or regulations as it relates to fleet-wide mileage averages and they disadvantage Toyota if they are bringing in more vehicles with lower MPGs.

Toyota can produce their 70 series in an American plant to American DOT and EPA standards exactly like Jeep and Ford do without additional restriction if that is a serious issue.

Toyota can produce their 70 series in an American plant to American DOT and EPA standards exactly like Jeep and Ford do without additional restriction if that is a serious issue.

Toyota imported the FJ Cruiser and 4Runners from Japan. If they didn't feel the need to manufacturer those here they could do the same the 70. Toyota must consider the US market for soft and lazy people. Toyota has a large SUV line already. How many have a stick shift option? In 1993 I was shopping for a FJ62. A dealer had an 87 FJ60 I looked at. Was a nice cruiser but because it was going to be a second DD it had to have an automatic for my wife. Talking to the salesman I told him I would buy a now 80 series if they could order a stripped model with lockers. At that time lockers were a $500 option while list on the leather package was $5,000. I could have lived with no power locks and power windows. Steel wheels would have been preferred. Took everything off the $50,000 plus cruiser was down to $32,000. Salesman got all excited and went to talk to the sales manager. Manager came out and first thing he said was how do like this 87. When I asked about the 80 series he said Toyota wouldn't allow a stripped one ordered. Think in some states vehicle registration tax is based on a base model. So by breaking down all the options versus just including would make registration cheaper. Leather and lockers were really the only options on the 80 series. The percentage with leather far exceeded the percentage with lockers. I'm sure there was greater profit in leather.

In 1979 when Toyota introduced the four cylinder 4X4 mini truck it signaled the end of the 40 series. Few hundred made it here in 83 and none in 84. Was no surprise when the 70 series started with the 85 model none made it to the US. Not sure if and how many jeeps and Broncos are sold with a manual transmission but obvious Toyota has no interest in competing for a share of that market. Think most would have rather seen the PX10 (built on a 70 seriee chassis) made and imported versus the FJ Cruiser which I heard engineers from California helped design. Had a salesman at a dealer in Phoenix call me when the first FJ Cruiser arrived. Believe it was March of 06. Went down looked at it I didn't even bother to test drive. Did not see anything worth trading our V8 4X4 4Runner with four full doors for the little suicide doors.

Last edited:
I finally got the engine harness wrapped up. My junkyard alternator tested good, but was ugly with oxidation on the case. I had to disassemble it to clean and refinish it. Well, the slip rings where the brushes ride were heavily worn. So I rebuilt it with new slip rings, brushes, and bearings. All pretty now.

Engine harness phase 2.jpg

engine harness done.jpg

Alt disassembled.jpg

Alt bad slip rings.jpg

Alt finished.jpg

Went to visit a friend. The 79 in the back round was there getting some work done.
20230518_132130.jpg

Time to get cracking on refurbishing this 4 speed for my 4 on the tree conversion. Impressed with how fossilized this old gear oil and dirt is.
651B9A50-81E1-497A-8B18-AFD507E3BEB7.jpeg

Americans when they see a 70 series.

They should be able to import them now though. 25 year rule means they cab start getting early 75s and stuff. Still have to wait a while for the 79

Got tired of trying to figure out why my clutch pushrod was short, so I gave up and just made a longer one. I had extra, extra-long bolts on hand that I got to go with a puller, so it was a quick fix once I thought of it. Got the bolts “HERE”.

Pushrod.jpg

Replaced the fuel pump for the 3FE. I documented the job for information for others. I started with a Jaguar XJ6 fuel pump, bosch 0 580 464 029.

fuel pump box.jpg
new fuel pump.jpg

The check valve that comes with this pump I believe is bosch pn 1587010539, with what I think is a DIN 2353 8mm bite style fitting. It may not be that exactly but it works.

pump installed.jpg

I bought a piece of 5/16 brake line with an inverted flare on each end and cut it in half. I installed a M14x1.5 inverted flare nut on the tube, bent it to fit and installed the nut and cutting ring.

tube final.jpg
tube installed.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom