Opinions on fridges (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’ve been eyeballing that Iceco APL55. I’ve heard some concerns about the hybrid dual-zone setup but it doesn’t seem like anything that would be a dealbreaker for me. Looks like it’s a new product so not many reviews out there.

Get a fridge, seems like some patent expired and suddenly every factory in china is turning out their version of a fridge. Some probably cheaper than the yeti coolers.

I'd be weary of buying the really cheap fridges though. Friend has one, it works as it should, basically the fridge is only 12v. It will run off of 120v but that involves an external power brick that steps the voltage to 12v from 120v. My ARB fridges don't do the external power converter thing. Also the hinges on the cheap fridges seem weak.

But to me a fridge is a game changer. You could probably get away with something smaller than your yeti since you won't need ice. which in turn will free up more space in the car.

You won't have to worry about how foods are packaged since they don't sit and slosh around in water. I like when I can pull a Gatorade out of the fridge and water isn't dripping out of the wrapper all over me,,,,

To me the only real downside is having to be mindful of power consumption. I don't see price as a downside since there are so many cheaper options out there now.

I currently own and ARB Classic 50QT and an ARB Zero 73Qt. The Zero is nice cause its dual zone and holds a ton. but it also takes up more space and when I'm asking it to keep things frozen I certainly notice more power consumption when I'm parked for a day or two. The 50Qt fridge is just a single zone and is probably used 80% of the time due to its size.

You won't regret getting a fridge. Remember, there was a time when you spent a decent amount of money on a cooler that is " bear proof"

I have a cheapo from costco with an integrated battery and solar connection. I leave it running 24/7 and it has been solid for a couple of years. I take it on trips and camping and it has been awesome. The battery only runs about 4 hours or so, so I have to use my car or ecoflow to keep going on camping trips. Runs about a week on the ecoflow in eco mode in the shade. Tons of room because no ice is needed.

I also have a rotomolded Orca 58 and it works great too on shorter trips of 2-4 days or where ice is easy to come by.

Every time I think I want a fridge I just add up the costs of a second battery, solar, a DC-DC controller and wiring and decide that it buys a s***ton of ice and ziploc bags. Then at some point during a trip I inevitably forget/neglect to get ice, drink luke warm beer for an evening, and start thinking about how nice a fridge would be.

I'll be keeping an eye on that fridge/battery combo, and hadn't thought of trying to justify the fridge as a 'run errands and keep stuff cold around town' device. The ones that can go below freezing would allow the CFO to buy ice cream with impunity.

I have a 50L dual zone NL and love it. Mine sits on a tray behind the drivers seat (no more 2nd row in my truck), so my passenger van reach in while under way. Never going back to a cooler.

The additional benefit I love about it is when we are entertaining a group, I set the thing in my sunporch full of beer and Trulys, running on 120V, and it keeps people out of having to go into the kitchen fridge. We're using it this weekend at a party, taking a bunch of food, then it will be on drinks duty on the deck. No schlepping for ice.

I can honestly say a fridge changed the game entirely for me. So much so that i now run three of them - a Dometic 55IM in my Cruiser, a Dometic 35 in my wife's Subaru and a Snomaster 90l in my trailer. The convenience of being able to pack whatever is in your home fridge directly into your rig is huge. No fuss or worries with ice and water. We use them for daily use, grocery shopping, overlanding, long weekends at baseball tournaments with our son, etc.

I don't use an aux battery system for both convenience and cost. Both dometics run off solar generators. Mine runs on an ecoflow delta that is powered by both 12v and a 100w solar panel on my rack. My wife's is run off a smaller jackery that is charged via 12 volt. The snomaster runs off the campers system which includes 2 100ah lithium batteries.

I rarely have issues with power disruption and can use those generators around the house and campsite as needed.

As an added bonus, if I do have any issues the dometics are true coolers not just fridges. You can fill then with ice just like a regular cooler if something goes wrong.

Every time I think I want a fridge I just add up the costs of a second battery, solar, a DC-DC controller and wiring and decide that it buys a s***ton of ice and ziploc bags. Then at some point during a trip I inevitably forget/neglect to get ice, drink luke warm beer for an evening, and start thinking about how nice a fridge would be.

I'll be keeping an eye on that fridge/battery combo, and hadn't thought of trying to justify the fridge as a 'run errands and keep stuff cold around town' device. The ones that can go below freezing would allow the CFO to buy ice cream with impunity.
No need for a second battery or DC-DC controller, you can start simple. For the LC, I have a single large power wire from the main battery routed to the rear of the cargo area connected to a blueseas panel with a disconnnect switch and cigarette lighter plugs. The fridge plugs into this. I also use this for any power needs for the kids in the back for ipads, speakers, tailgating, etc. No need for the vehicle ignition to be on to get power in the back.

The fridge itself (Dometic) has voltage protection built in, you have 3 different settings (low, medium, high). If you had a separate house battery you set it to low, if you are running off your starter battery, set it to medium. The fridge will turn off before you deplete your starter battery.

The fridge runs average 1 Amp-Hour per Hour power consumption. Less than 5 amps when compressor is running.

I have a small portable solar panel and a cheap Renogy solar controller that I wired with alligator clamps. totally portable and I can use it on any 12V vehicle or battery. If I am parked all day in the summer, I will setup the solar panel and run clamps to the starter battery. Keeps the battery topped off no problem at all.

I can take pics if you would like. Super simple. Super portable.

On the point of starting simple, I agree this is very possible. Taking it further, it's partly why I got a 3-1 fridge/cooler. At its simplest, with a fridge that has excellent insulation, the cold can be maintained between power availability. By adding a layer of bottle waters creates a thermal sink which can be "charged" when there is power. Almost like re-freezing ice with a cooler.

I did also run my fridge for awhile on a solar generator. This does work great. Need to add a rear power port to recharge the battery for longer trips. Worth noting that for larger fridges, running in summer, and cooling to freezing temps, can all dramatically increase the power needs of the fridge. 100Ah can be consumed in 1 day under these conditions. Pre-cooling can make a big difference to energy needs.

A built in house battery is reachable for reasonable prices these days.

Last edited:
First off... Thank you very much, everybody, for your opinions!

Then.. wow. The outpouring of love for your fridges is humbling. Not a single nay-sayer spoke up. Not even a half-hearted response.

I think I have become convinced and will be asking for a fridge for Father’s Day. Though sadly this means I won't be able to take advantage of that REI sale (thanks for the suggestion @UPR LC ).

Though several thoughts:

1. The term "game changer" has come up repeatedly. Frankly, when I got the Yeti I kind of thought of that as a game changer. I've never had a cooler that would keep ice for as long. It's dramatic how much longer ice remains frozen in it vs my previous coolers. Though you do pay for this in weight. I think Yeti coolers are stupidly heavy. But could people be comparing the game of crappy coolers vs the game of portable fridges?

2. I think I need to step my game up on packing coolers/fridges. Many of you have said that due to the savings in space in not needing ice, 55L is sufficient for a week. For me, ice doesn't really take up extra space since I fill up the cooler with food and drink and then pour ice over everything. Because of spaces between my packaging, there are always pre-existing gaps between items that the ice can then fill. But now I am thinking I need to learn how to pack my fridge with Tetris-like skills. Maybe not putting things in Tupperware is a start.
Ps. I did do the math and a 55L Dometic is 8800 cubic inches and a 75L Yeti is 10500 cubic inches. So, once you consider a power source there would be a slight space savings, as several of you said. And if you have an installed second battery under the hood or trust the voltage cut-offs to use your starter battery, then there is a larger space savings.

3. While I do love the stuff, I’m not sure I will ever camp with ice-cream as several of you mentioned. It seems too indulgent when “roughing it.” But there is a giant value in having a freezer along with you (as you suggested @CharlieS) beyond treats. A fridge or cooler will only keep an un-frozen steak edible for 5 days (if you go by the FDA suggestions). But if you have a freezer, you could keep a steak for much longer and not have to eat dehydrated bag meals by the end of the trip (not to knock the bag meals; some are delicious).

(and yes, I realize I’m a hypocrite in saying ice cream is indulgent but steaks aren’t)

So thank you all for your input. It is greatly appreciated. And now I will spend the next few weeks in analysis-paralysis trying to figure which fridge to get…..

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. You can't really go wrong.

Lockers are a game changer. Fridges are an amenity. :)

If you're on the fence, I'd dig deep and ask yourself if you really need to go 5 (or even 3) days without re-provisioning on any trip you take. Most places in this country and the small handful of places that I've been elsewhere don't often put you in a position.

I am 100% a hypocrite here, in full disclosure: I own three 12v fridges, but... I often just go on trips of 3 days or less with a RTIC cooler (either hard or soft sided) and ice packs. I don't leave my fridges in the car full time, they sit on a shelf and they are only installed when I go on a big trip.

Dual batteries are also another place I wouldn't bother if I did it again. But I spent a lot of money on mine on my first 200 and I moved it over to this one (easily $1500 in batteries and parts), so I'm committed to it for this rig. My 80 is getting a group 27F FLA starting battery, and I am carrying a Noco jump pack. Second batteries add complexity, cost and a ton of weight.

A middle ground is one of those portable battery units like a Jackery/Bluetti, etc. At least they can be taken out when not used, and used for other things.

Quick plug - National Luna Dual Zone from Equipt Expedition Outfitters (Paul May and co) is a very energy efficient and well built option. It is much better built than any of the others I own or have owned.

Last edited:
I'm cheap so I have two fridges, the small one is a single zone 53 quart fridge. I'm not sure who the manufacturer but it's rebranded by Costway and others. It has been working daily for over two years because I keep it with drinks in my basement. The big one is dual zone 80 quart fridge. The manufacturer is Alpicool from the TWW series and rebranded by many (Newair with the LG compressor in my instance). This one has the option for an external battery as well. Both can be purchased at decent prices on amazon specially when they are on sale.

Depending on how long I'll stay and where I'm going, I'll take the small or big one. They're both fairly efficient and I power them with power stations from Bluetti and others.

Need? Nope! But it sure is a wonderful luxury!

My National Luna 90 Twin has been powered on continuously Mid-March until Christmas every year since 2016 without problems. At hole or where convenient it is plugged in to AC. On the road it is powered by two Bluetti EB70S if needed. Soon, I’ll add an Anderson plug to our new trailer to access 630 A/h of Lithium iron phosphate batteries for practically endless power.

3. While I do love the stuff, I’m not sure I will ever camp with ice-cream as several of you mentioned. It seems too indulgent when “roughing it.” But there is a giant value in having a freezer along with you (as you suggested @CharlieS) beyond treats. A fridge or cooler will only keep an un-frozen steak edible for 5 days (if you go by the FDA suggestions). But if you have a freezer, you could keep a steak for much longer and not have to eat dehydrated bag meals by the end of the trip (not to knock the bag meals; some are delicious).
The freezer isn’t just for ice cream…it shines for flash frozen things like veggies or fish… surf and turf can happen deep into a trip. My wife makes smoothies and freezes them in cubes, these are great for our 6 and 7 year old and a bonus when it’s hot. Frozen hash browns are killer as well. This thread is going to lead to a camp food discussion… I’m ready to take notes as we have a 3 week trip coming up.

You won’t realize how much flexibility this mod will add until you’re a few trips in. Next time you’re at the grocery store walk through the frozen food section and really look at all the options that could be possible.

Plus there’s the boss move of putting stuff straight in the fridge in the parking lot of the grocery store and not trying to cram it in an ice and water filled cooler.

Good zip lock bags were a game changer for keeping my food and the cooler from getting gross.

I also had big plans of a fridge having a smaller footprint than my thick-walled pelican 35 and therefore saving me some sleeping space inside the rig. Turns out they’d all take up more space due to the length and wheelwell config.

Couple of quick pics showing my super simple setup. 30A fuse on positive starter battery post, single cable feeds rear bluesea plug panel, wire is routed along kick molding on driver's side. Grounded circuit at rear of vehicle.
IMG_0599.JPG
IMG_0598.JPG

I'll chime in. We have a Dometic CFX3 75 liter Dual Zone. It's been wonderful. What's really great about it is that either zone can be a freezer or a fridge. (Maybe all the dual zones do this I don't know) and it's implemented so that one zone doesn't borrow from the other for cooling; they are truly independent. It is also 12/24 volt capable. What we've started doing is waiting until the last Walmart before our campsite and getting all our food both frozen and cold then. We love having a Klondike bar and frozen margaritas when everyone else is sweltering LOL! My setup is kind of involved and it's the kind of thing that's fun for me. I'm a (former) engineer and it's just not fun unless it's complicated. :D

So I'll segue to my electrical/refrigeration system which has worked out really well for us. The setup is a dual battery system which was born of the desire to primarily power the Dometic fridge/freezer and also the campsite. (Frozen margaritas do require a 120V blender, after all). It consists of a 2nd battery maintained by a Redarc BCDC1225D, a Yeti Goal Zero 1500X solar generator, solar panels and a Victron 12-24/30 DC-DC charger. The 24V Victron unit is used to charge the Goal Zero while driving or just the Dometic from the 2nd battery as it also runs at 24V.

Here it is FWIW:

Electrical concept.jpg

Couple of quick pics showing my super simple setup. 30A fuse on positive starter battery post, single cable feeds rear bluesea plug panel, wire is routed along kick molding on driver's side. Grounded circuit at rear of vehicle.View attachment 3326559View attachment 3326560
Simple, yes, but puts you at risk of a dead starting battery.

I've killed our offroad camper battery with the only load being a 12v fridge (before we got solar panels).

Some solve this with a low voltage disconnect.

My not simple dual battery setup has a Redac bcdc that prevents my aux battery from draining my starting battery.

Simple, yes, but puts you at risk of a dead starting battery.

I've killed our offroad camper battery with the only load being a 12v fridge (before we got solar panels).

Some solve this with a low voltage disconnect.

My not simple dual battery setup has a Redac bcdc that prevents my aux battery from draining my starting battery.
My Dometic fridge has built in battery protection, so it will shut off before the starter battery drains to no-start status.

I also carry a NOCO booster pack all the time, regardless of fridge or no fridge.

I do agree that a simple low-voltage disconnect would be a good idea and a good safety measure. Easy to add at the battery location in-line.

I have a Redarc BCDC in my truck camper (not the LC), definitely agree that is the way to go if you have a separate house battery, plus solar is super simple to connect as well with a BCDC.

My setup is not a totally-legit redundant overlanding setup, just providing it as an example that someone can start with if they don't want to make the plunge into full built-out cargo dual battery setup. Good to have options.

My Dometic fridge has built in battery protection, so it will shut off before the starter battery drains to no-start status.

I also carry a NOCO booster pack all the time, regardless of fridge or no fridge.

I do agree that a simple low-voltage disconnect would be a good idea and a good safety measure. Easy to add at the battery location in-line.

I have a Redarc BCDC in my truck camper (not the LC), definitely agree that is the way to go if you have a separate house battery, plus solar is super simple to connect as well with a BCDC.

My setup is not a totally-legit redundant overlanding setup, just providing it as an example that someone can start with if they don't want to make the plunge into full built-out cargo dual battery setup. Good to have options.
Good point!

I got a small 35l generic that would fit behind the deployed third row seat. It also does drinks duty in my garage when it’s not in the truck, which is most of the time.
I run the rig ac plug into the small lfp portable battery using its 120v charger, and the fridge off the battery. It’s good for a couple nights, and recharges when I drive. Extended the Battery life a second night by making an insulated bag/cover for the fridge out of bubble wrap.

Enjoy having fresh things like salad, deli meat, mayo, and cold drinks during the trip. It’s a simple setup and we use it as a fridge only.

It is easy to get two or three entree things plus sandwich fixings into this small fridge, plus some kombucha or beer too. Four meals for 3, for example.

Only drawback is that it’s not full featured and when it loses power reverts to 0F setting, so I have to check that every day or so, otherwise we have frozen mayo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom