Securing your pride and joy? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am interested to know how you folks secure your prized asset given the age and relative ease to gain access to it? one of my old FJs had a hidden engine isolator switch. I have seen folks with removable steering wheels too but what other options are out there that I can put on my new one?

I think the best security is RanDom behavior...

Park in a locked garage whenever possible. When you can't I have used a combination of a steering wheel lock, ignition kill switch, removed the rotor, disconnected the battery and have even put it in 2lo to confuse the thieves. It's worked so far but unfortunately a determined thief that knows FJ40s will probably be able to figure out how to beat any countermeasures you try. Just being a stick shift is a good deterant, today's kids would rather steal a Kia anyway.

Park in a locked garage whenever possible. When you can't I have used a combination of a steering wheel lock, ignition kill switch, removed the rotor, disconnected the battery and have even put it in 2lo to confuse the thieves. It's worked so far but unfortunately a determined thief that knows FJ40s will probably be able to figure out how to beat any countermeasures you try. Just being a stick shift is a good deterant, today's kids would rather steal a Kia anyway.
:D your right, stick shift!!!? WTF is that, lets steal a prius!

It's not the kids I am worried about, more the pros that know the value of an FJ these days!

I dont do this but one could weld 1 link of chain to the shifter.
In problem areas toss a link of chain around the steering wheel and lock it to the shifter.
Nobody is getting very far like that.

Back in the day, late seventies, a six foot length of bicycle innertube covered case hardened chain wrapped around brake, clutch pedal, and steering wheel and locked with a hardened lock. Also had a toggle switch high up under the dash on the passenger pillar to the distributor. All before all the new stuff available now. It was cheap insurance to keep the honest people honest.
20230517_205001.jpg

Back in the day, late seventies, a six foot length of bicycle innertube covered case hardened chain wrapped around brake, clutch pedal, and steering wheel and locked with a hardened lock. Also had a toggle switch high up under the dash on the passenger pillar to the distributor. All before all the new stuff available now. It was cheap insurance to keep the honest people honest.View attachment 3325720
Ah the good old days! surely someone has come up with some biometric Nightrider Kit style voice activation, retina recognition, fart gas authorisation thingy by now!

Back in the day, late seventies, a six foot length of bicycle innertube covered case hardened chain wrapped around brake, clutch pedal, and steering wheel and locked with a hardened lock. Also had a toggle switch high up under the dash on the passenger pillar to the distributor. All before all the new stuff available now. It was cheap insurance to keep the

I am interested to know how you folks secure your prized asset given the age and relative ease to gain access to it? one of my old FJs had a hidden engine isolator switch. I have seen folks with removable steering wheels too but what other options are out there that I can put on my new one?

Does anyone use this? If so is it any good?

Tevlaphee Steering Wheel Lock Anti Theft Security Extendable Device Retractable Keyless Password 5 Coded Combination Antitheft​

1684395998476.png

Fuel disconnect.
Battery disconnect.
Keep it parked in a garage with your daily driver bucket parked in front of the door. Leave the bucket unlocked.

The only time any vehicle of mine was stolen or messed with was when it was parked on the street or in front of my garage.

All depends on where you live I guess - I never lock mine at home.

Most dont even want to get in my 40 much less steal it. Looks like a mess but the cover doesnt tell the book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom