Can someone 3D print this part? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
While working on my ignition cylinder rod (current thread, My Ignition Broke) I had to remove the lower dash panel that is below the steering column. On the left side (US model) of this panel are the mirror controls, on the right side is the hole for the ignition cylinder.

Surrounding the ignition cylinder is a light ring and surrounding that is a flexible ?plastic/rubber plate or ring which serves IMO as a gap filler. It has the word PUSH on it and an arrow referring to when you turn the ignition key.

Anyone who owns an 80 series knows where this part is and what it looks like but photo to follow.

Either way, while removing the panel to work on the ignition bracket the plate or ring around the ignition cylinder the plate/ring began to fall apart and eventually the entire face crumbled off. Twenty five years of UV and sweat exposure and this thin plastic/rubber was done.

Here's a couple photos of a new part which is NLA/Discontinued:

Plate ignition dashboard front view 5544560050B0.jpg

Plate ignition dashboard rear view 5544560050B0.jpg

Here's what remains of the original ring or "plate", the outer face is completely gone.

FZJ80 Ignition plate dashboard plastic ring thingy with broken face.png

The ring or "plate" as Toyota calls it is flexbile (was flexible). IDK if it's a soft plastic or some type of rubber?? The three small tabs shown in the photos IMO act like locating fingers, they do not snap onto anything but just slip over the plastic light ring that surrounds the ignition barrel. Once installed this plate/ring does not move or rotate, just fills the gap between the dashpanel and the light ring.

So the question is, is there anyone out there that can reproduce this NLA part, either by 3D printing or injection molding??

Last edited:
Here's an option from fellow Mud member @Outsane

I've purchased several of his 3D printed parts and have been really happy with the product and speed of delivery.

Thanks, that's one option but it appears it just ?sticks over that area. Was wondering if the original part could be duplicated??

It's NLA now ? I just got one in the last year or two, guess I got lucky. FWIW, the fit on the one I got is loose, and it does move around. Maybe that was a replacement part number that almost fit...

Jason

@Spdstr280Z Can you post up the part number of the ring/plate you bought?

I bought one myself over two years ago as my original was looking a big dried out at that time, but I never installed it. At that time only grey was available, 55445-60050-E0 for Oak, -B0 for grey.

My original ring/plate crumbled so easily I'm sure they all will do the same if anyone attempts to move or even clean it. Same for anything in a Salvage yard, my guess is that it would crumble when attempting to remove it. Figured I'd try to get a head start on finding someone who can print them or have a run of them made up.

If anyone with 3D printing skills needs an original new part for ?3D laser scanning I've also got one.

Last edited:
@Spdstr280Z Can you post up the part number of the ring/plate you bought?

I bought one myself over two years ago as my original was looking a big dried out at that time, but I never installed it. At that time only grey was available, 55445-60050-E0 for Oak, -B0 for grey.

My original ring/plate crumbled so easily I'm sure they all will do the same if anyone attempts to move or even clean it. Same for anything in a Salvage yard, my guess is that it would crumble when attempting to remove it. Figured I'd try to get a head start on finding someone who can print them or have a run of them made up.

If anyone with 3D printing skills needs an original new part for ?3D laser scanning I've also got one.

I put together the dash of a 1990 4Runner over the past couple of weeks with parts from two separate cars. Had two of these rings to play with. Both were fine.

That's good to know, maybe mine was worse than others from the Southern US Sun (higher UV exposure)??

Question still remains; is there anyone who knows if it's possible to 3D print this part out of a flexible plastic/rubber?

That's good to know, maybe mine was worse than others from the Southern US Sun (higher UV exposure)??

Question still remains; is there anyone who knows if it's possible to 3D print this part out of a flexible plastic/rubber?
My original one had torn during my ignition barrel rework as well. Fortunately I had one from a replacement dash I bought from a local parting out a truck.

Maybe @slow95z or @arcteryx has them?

I don't know if 3D printed will work because it must be flexible like rubber but it looks like an injection molded part.

TPE or TPU filament 3D printing, can't see why it wouldn't work. Whoever makes the Solve Function gear would be the man to ask.

Yes, tpu would work perfectly. I don't want to risk breaking mine to measure out the dimensions but if one wants to send me a part/drawing/part file I'd be happy to help out

I don't know that they need to ask that flexible. The og part is a loose fit in the dark panel to slow for it to automatically make up for any misalignment of the hole.
If a replacement part fits in a similar way, it only needs to be flexible enough to allow fitting

Looks like a part you could cast from urethane without much trouble. If Urethane would work.

Consumer 3D printing can make a low quality facsimile of just about anything.

(small rant warning)

A large portion of USA's populous used to be involved in manufacturing. Lots of people knew how things work and how to make stuff. Today, only a very small fraction of a percent of the population actually know anything about how stuff is made. I feel like the proliferation of 3D printing is taking the place of alot of fundamental manufacturing knowledge.

3D printing has not replaced many processes at all in equal function/form, but it has lowered the standards for function and appearance for virtually everything it is used for. A consumer quality 3D printed part has become the default solution to everyone's problems today- It's like that saying, "If all you have is a hammer, everything becomes a nail."

There is a non-3D printed solution to almost every problem. Seeking out those solutions keeps useful knowledge and processes alive. And maybe prevents another hideously grainy creation from sucking the craftsmanship out of the world.

The one I print fits well and covers the area with a lip for mounting. So if the ignition is not perfectly concentric it still works.

Finding a flexible material in near the same color is not easy.

Try mine out, I think you will like it.

@PIP

Creating 3dprinted parts takes knowledge. Running a printer is not as easy as using a microwave.

I can take that knowledge and transfer it to a mold maker and have the part made from injected flexible material. Then it would cost $15k for the first part. I am not going to sell enough to ever pay for that.

There is craftsmanship in cad design.

@PIP

Creating 3dprinted parts takes knowledge. Running a printer is not as easy as using a microwave.

I can take that knowledge and transfer it to a mold maker and have the part made from injected flexible material. Then it would cost $15k for the first part. I am not going to sell enough to ever pay for that.

There is craftsmanship in cad design.

All very true.

One could then buy a machining center to apply those cad skills. With a machining center and cad skills you can make parts from any material without any of the limitations of printers or plastic.

A company near me makes products. They have three plastic printers that run 24/5 making housings for thier products. Beautiful parts. The parts look like they're molded, but have features you cannot mold. Thing is though, the printers they have are $1M each.

I would love to machine the parts..

I even have a desktop top cnc

It does not work my work flow or life right now. Until then I can make function designs and continue to print them. Have other people machine parts for me when needed.

And keep doing this apparently

"And maybe prevents another hideously grainy creation from sucking the craftsmanship out of the world."

I would love to machine the parts..

I even have a desktop top cnc

It does not work my work flow or life right now. Until then I can make function designs and continue to print them. Have other people machine parts for me when needed.

And keep doing this apparently

"And maybe prevents another hideously grainy creation from sucking the craftsmanship out of the world."

I appreciate your ideas, your designs, your initiative.

I bet you'll kick ass with a machining center.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom