What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (83 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If only they sold those here in the states. I would have one already. soo much cooler than a tundra or tacoma. I had a kzj78 and it was awesome as well. The 1kzte engine would be a cool swap in a tacoma. I digress.... I hope toyota brings a land cruiser truck over here when they announce the new land cruiser for USA market

god I hope so. Pretty much the same body from the cowl back as my kzj78 was.

Every automotive commenter tries to make the point that the overseas spec Land Cruisers are too austere for American tastes.

Meanwhile, Ford Broncos and Jeep Wranglers and derivatives have been flying out of car dealer lots for the last few decades the marketing geniuses at Toyota have surrendered that market.

Toyota marketers need to be spanked.

Every automotive commenter tries to make the point that the overseas spec Land Cruisers are too austere for American tastes.

Meanwhile, Ford Broncos and Jeep Wranglers and derivatives have been flying out of car dealer lots for the last few decades the marketing geniuses at Toyota have surrendered that market.

I agree with you. I feel like they missed the mark on the fj cruiser too. They could have made that convertable like a fj40. For where I live a 70 series truck would spank a jeeps a** I actually use 4x4 almost every day. Also for the kayak/surf business my wife and I run having a 70 series regular cab truck would be fantastic option for moving the kayaks around. I could probably make a nice rack for the back of one too. a troopie would be fantastic for the surfcamp we run too. One can dream!

I am not holding my breath. If you have ever watched the keynote address by Jonathan Ward at Cruiserfest 2019 you can see how resistant the Japanese were to his design requests RE the FJ Cruiser. He gave them information relevant to the desires of the American market. They essentially ignored said info.

I am not holding my breath. If you have ever watched the keynote address by Jonathan Ward at Cruiserfest 2019 you can see how resistant the Japanese were to his design requests RE the FJ Cruiser. He gave them information relevant to the desires of the American market. They essentially ignored said info.
I doubt it too. The 70 series is a dated design too. Its flippin cool though.

I doubt it too. The 70 series is a dated design too. Its flippin cool though.
Well, Jeep recently made great hay with their "dated design."

I know it's at least partially because I live in the Nashville area, with a major military base nearby, but 1 in 5 vehicles on the road here is either a Wrangler or a stretched version of a Wrangler. 1 in 10 are the new Broncos.

There is a huge market for dated designs in the American car market.

Well, Jeep recently made great hay with their "dated design."

I know it's at least partially because I live in the Nashville area, with a major military base nearby, but 1 in 5 vehicles on the road here is either a Wrangler or a stretched version of a Wrangler. 1 in 10 are the new Broncos.

There is a huge market for dated designs in the American car market.
I completely agree with you. I meant more they have been making the same doors and body panels for the wagon 70 series for a long long time. My kzj78 was a 1993 and I I think the doors would fit on a new one.

Yeah here at the beach you see alot of wranglers and those gladiators (that would be cool if they called it the scrambler and had a two door version). I am starting to see alot of those new broncos. Occasionally you see cool stuff out here. In the past 5 years I have seen at least 1 troopie every summer. And a guy thats probably on mud somewhere comes down with a different land cruiser every year I see him. My favorite still was the fj55 he had.

When I bought the 19100-61180 Distributor, it had a Pertronix 1662 Igniter installed already. That one had the problem documented on here where the center round magnet digs into the base, which led to a situation where my FJ40 would randomly die, usually before it was warm. It mostly would fire back up after it died, but that one time I was dead in the middle of traffic at a light was embarrassing! So, I switched to Pertronix Igniter 1662LS, and it never ran right. As soon as I installed it, I could tell it was missing. I talked to Pertronix and they advised that even though the air gap was not adjustable, to go ahead and elongate the mounting hole, make it adjustable, and close the air gap down. That helped for a while - then the symptom came back. I closed the gap some more - it helped, then the symptom came back. So, today I am done with Pertronix. I converted to points and condenser until I can run down the original 1978 Toyota parts (I have coil 90919-02083 on order, it is still available).
To bring a 19100-61180 distributor back to points, I installed:

Terminal: 19231-45020 (Didn't completely cover the hole in the side of the distributor, there may be a better part number.)
Condenser: 90099-52050 (This one has the longer, yellow lead that you need for this distributor.)

It fired right up after the conversion, and I set the timing at between 10-11 degrees BTDC. (That's where it fell, close enough :D) I drove it to town and it is a winner! Runs great! When I ordered the points and condenser, I went ahead and ordered two, so now there are spares in the glove box.
PointsConversion.jpg

And here is my Pertronix Pile! Either of these would work if I found myself stranded, so they will hang around. Just annoying problems with both of them - and that is my very general take on all aftermarket parts - better to stick with OEM:
PertronixPile.jpg

So, this summer I am going to try to run down a functional (45 year old) 19100-61100 Distributor and a 89620-60030 Ignitor and plug those bad boys back into the factory harness connector that the PO was kind enough to leave :). Then we will see. I know some of you are like, "So you haven't bought the DUI yet?" I'm not going there yet... but I may eventually, I just don't want those Chevy parts under my hood! Anyway, this is long enough, done rambling. Have a great day fellow Mudders!!!

IMG_0227.jpeg
Took the 40 out to see another red truck...
After i did an alignment using "toe plates" It drives SOOO much better now. I used the "string" method 20 times but was still an INCH off with too much TOE.
Now it tracks straight down the road.
Also jetted my Weber 38 for 8,000'
IMG_6339.jpeg

Toyota has needed to remove their perverbial head from another part of their anatomy as far as what they offer us saps here in USA. NOT an IFS or Turbo fan. They keep sending us their less desirable stuff and like fools we buy it.

Many forget this. They could have buried Jeep years ago but could care less about the USA 4X4 market. That sadly is a fact. We need to wake up as consumers and stop buying their less desireable 4X4 models that they send us.

I have purchased my last new Toyota 4X4. if they were to bring us a solid front axle real utility oriented 4X4 to USA I would buy one immediately. But they won’t and so I will continue driving my 45 and 47 year old FJ40’s. A 70 Series Troopy would be nice with gas engine, while you are at it Toyota fix the rear track so it lines up with the front axle🙄

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom