Yaesu FT-2980 80w 2m mobile, $159 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just passing along what seems like a good deal to me. Woot is now owned by Amazon.

That is the latest-update model of a terrific 2 meter radio, and the perfect first ham radio. I had three earlier versions at one time, and still have one that I use regularly.

Last edited:
That model of radio is bomb-proof. It is a little big, but a great radio and a good deal (considering inflation and they were about $149 last year) Several friends have these.

I picked up the same one from HRO (YAESU FT-2980R Transceivers Mobile 2 Meters, FT2980R - https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-015771) a few months ago when they were still at $149 (now they are at $189). Seems very solidly made. Haven't used it as much as my 7800r, but reviews seem really positive. Not a small radio, but the huge heat sink is supposed to help transfer heat with the increased power.

1666307697184.png

1666307706204.png

I picked up the same one from HRO (YAESU FT-2980R Transceivers Mobile 2 Meters, FT2980R - https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-015771) a few months ago when they were still at $149 (now they are at $189). Seems very solidly made. Haven't used it as much as my 7800r, but reviews seem really positive. Not a small radio, but the huge heat sink is supposed to help transfer heat with the increased power.

View attachment 3145983

View attachment 3145986
The heat sink is the best part especially of you are putting it in a off-road rig. It has no fan to make noise or to break it just gets warm of you are transmitting for a long time at full power.

View attachment 3145983

View attachment 3145986
Where did you find that stand/mounting bracket thing?

Where did you find that stand/mounting bracket thing?
I made it. Its just a piece of sheet metal that I bent up into a hump. It uses the two rear bolts that hold the transmission boot down. Version two is here now that I have a tuffy console. Turns out the holes for the radio bracket are exactly the same distance apart as the tuffy cup holder. So I made up a little spacer for the side of the cupholder, riveted it in and bolted it on sideways.

1669317985234.png

1669317999184.png

The heat sink is the best part especially of you are putting it in a off-road rig. It has no fan to make noise or to break it just gets warm of you are transmitting for a long time at full power.

I have a 7250 with a cooling fan. I can't hear the fan, but a dang bee got stuck on the fan and it would not turn. The rig overheated (due to stalled fan) and started not transmitting. Once it cooled off it was fine

I have a 7250 with a cooling fan. I can't hear the fan, but a dang bee got stuck on the fan and it would not turn. The rig overheated (due to stalled fan) and started not transmitting. Once it cooled off it was fine
If I am just talking to people around me I drop it down to 5W transmit power and it never even gets close to hot. I have gone up on peaks and used it for SOTA activations on ham radio contests and even at 80w it gets warm but nothing I would be concerned about and that's after repeated long transmissions.

If I am just talking to people around me I drop it down to 5W transmit power and it never even gets close to hot. I have gone up on peaks and used it for SOTA activations on ham radio contests and even at 80w it gets warm but nothing I would be concerned about and that's after repeated long transmissions.
Fan actuates when mic is keyed, regardless

I'm glad Yaesu hasn't discontinued this radio yet, and I really want to pick one up before they do.

I'm glad Yaesu hasn't discontinued this radio yet, and I really want to pick one up before they do.

It's been in production a long time. They keep making marginal improvements. I doubt they will discontinue it any time soon; it's their very popular entry-level 2 meter mobile radio. Pretty sure they sell a sh!t ton of them.

It's been in production a long time. They keep making marginal improvements. I doubt they will discontinue it any time soon; it's their very popular entry-level 2 meter mobile radio. Pretty sure they sell a sh!t ton of them.

I'm trying to justify a radio I don't need, you're not helping :flipoff2:

Dammit. That one is discontinued. It's a perfect replacement for my 3100.

Dammit. That one is discontinued. It's a perfect replacement for my 3100.
Gigaparts

HRO

I think I am going to pull the trigger. I thought I might wait until I could get a fancy one, but I’m tired of my current handheld

Gigaparts

HRO

I think I am going to pull the trigger. I thought I might wait until I could get a fancy one, but I’m tired of my current handheld

You will love that radio, especially compared to a handheld.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom