Any pics of a chassis that is not all black? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Picking a color for my frame-off. My FJ40 current has a black rear bumper (factory profile, but heavy duty copy - thicker) and a factory pewter front bumper. The part of the chassis that is exposed up front is black as are the axles, etc. The frame underneath is a combo of light rust mixed with Dune Beige liner. 90% of the work I need to do in the frame-off is the bottom side of the tub and frame.

I was thinking either all Dune Beige (to match the body) except for the front and rear bumpers or perhaps a darker brown/tan, dark Toyota gray, Or black. Maybe even matching the axles and drive shaft.

You will have a heak of a time Cerakoting a entire frame. unless you have a giant oven and a huge tub you can soak the frame in :oops:. you would be better off Powder Coating the frame

I never see people do a hot dip galvanize for frame offs. I think it would be awesome. It would be rust proof for life and actually fully protected on the inside.

I never see people do a hot dip galvanize for frame offs. I think it would be awesome. It would be rust proof for life and actually fully protected on the inside.
I have a 40 in my garage my friend did that to . I do not like it myself. It’s a pain to weld to and paint does not stick well to it

There are a couple in build threads where the frames are galvanized. Fully disassembling the riveted frame to get behind where the parts lap each other is the hard part

Anything besides galvanizing that can get in everywhere?

You are both obviously correct but the pros seems to out weigh the cons. Do welding before dipping it and who cares about paint, it's never going to rust.

The fact that it's cheaper, better rust corrosion, and way less labor once you have the frame off seems like it would be a more popular choice. The fact that it isn't means y'all have the popular opinion.

FJ25 frame, speedo, glove box, gas tank, bumperettes, mirrors and wheels were painted body color. Engine compartment, engine, transmission, transfer case, axles painted black.

@treerootCO Project Hope is a nice example of that look.

1684167855043.jpeg

1684167879226.jpeg

1684167906764.jpeg

I've been meaning to contact a local plating company about doing my frame in a black chromate.

I galvanized the frame of my 45 and painted it. The galvanizer can quench the frame after the dipping process is complete to enable paint adhesion.

F9346828-A8D8-439D-8C6A-9C7E4FEC5301.jpeg
B2FFDD6B-9876-4843-85B5-09A75093AE9D.jpeg
E8936645-07BF-4D45-BCA9-6E13A7E654D6.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom