Head units that aren't hideous (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nakamichi MD45z-CD30z combo

IMG_6137.JPG

IMG_6138.JPG

IMG_6132.JPG

View attachment 3318488

View attachment 3318492

Finally got around to taking pictures of the Kenwood unit I previously mentioned. I should add it is back-up camera compatible, I just don't have one installed.

I've been eying a similar double din unit to hook up to a backup camera on a manual switch instead of reverse lights for the utility of it on the 77

You happy with overall function of the kenwood?

I've been eying a similar double din unit to hook up to a backup camera on a manual switch instead of reverse lights for the utility of it on the 77

You happy with overall function of the kenwood?
I'm satisfied with it. Bluetooth always works as intended and I like having a volume knob and configurable colors. The screen is also very easy to turn off, which I appreciate.

My only gripe is a lack of skip track buttons, but not a deal breakers for me.

Regardless of which touchscreen double din you pick, skip the carplay/android auto units. The radio is placed in such a poor location, it's unsafe to use for navigation.

Mini disk and a CD, what no 8-track? maybe for the ashtray? I guess if you have an 8-track then the ashtray is probably functional, interior looks freaking mint.

I figured not. Never seen a MD player that wasn’t JDM
there were some MD players sold in US in the early 2000s, I has a Blaupunkt and a 2DIN Alpine back then. Sony, Pioneer and Nakamichi has some MD offerring in US as well, but they never sold well and are rare as hen's teeth now.

I run Kenwood stuff in all my cars, they just offer lots of customization that Pioneer and Alpine dont. Haven't personally used a Sony deck in a while but I used to like them 10-15 years ago. Lately been finding the Kenwood double-dins with touchscreen and Carplay on ebay for $200-$300 instead of $700+ for new ones (yikes)

Not the best lighting, but here’s an idea of what it looks like. Rocking the amber right now, but the green matches beautifully too.

View attachment 3317630
Wow that looks great ! I have a bremen at home just waiting to be installed together with the same storage compartment. Took me months to pick the right head unit. I wasnt sure which one to pick between the frankfurt and the bremen but i finally went for the bremen because my cruiser is a jdm and the track-change button is on the right ! I have that to install together with 8 new speakers, it may be worth doing a post about it !

Nakamichi MD45z-CD30z combo
never seen a stack of single DIN units. nice!

looks just like the CD-45z in my '88 M3. it does pull in all the US FM freqs. if i had another DIN slot i'd consider sourcing a MD-30z b/c i didn't even realize this was a thing!

Pretty happy with my set-up. One of these days I’ll knock off the thin chrome bezel around the head unit, but life gets in the way. This is the Alpine ILX-107. Love everything except the glitchy Apple Maps function when using CarPlay. Aside from that, it’s been great.
IMG_7113.jpeg
IMG_8549.jpeg

Pretty happy with my set-up. One of these days I’ll knock off the thin chrome bezel around the head unit, but life gets in the way. This is the Alpine ILX-107. Love everything except the glitchy Apple Maps function when using CarPlay. Aside from that, it’s been great. View attachment 3326157View attachment 3326161
Jim. you need to stop making us jealous!! lol

Not an audio guy, wish the prior owners had just kept the stock '94 radio, but instead they had some aftermarket flip screen crappy rear camera dealio. I pulled it out and haven't figured out what to do. Maybe I'll make a block off plate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom