May 6-7 Alternate Trail Ride, Texas Creek (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SAS

Seeking higher vistas
Threads
We put this in the calendar because Texas Creek is a fun area (avoid the pinstripe brush, tho!), with fantastic views, and can be a great camping trip (if the weather cooperates)!

I'm not going to be able to make it on 6-7 May, but others may want to go, so here's the discussion thread.

20220424_140806.jpg

We would like to make it - camping an' all.
Where is it?

Vic tells me this would be a good one for me to join. I may just do that, depending on the details.

Sickness abounds. Melissa won't make it.
If I can, prob won't be camping.
Where was the other run in May posted? I can't find it now.

Anybody camping Saturday night? When do you plan to meet Saturday morning at the OHV lot at the trailhead?

When do you plan to meet Saturday morning at the OHV lot at the trailhead?

The group will leave the South Meetup Location (Safeway on South Nevada) Quote from last trip "Let's meet at Safeway (1910 S. Nevada Ave.) on the east side of the parking lot (as usual spot) facing Nevada Ave. 8am to 8:30am timeframe. We'll cross-check radios and then move out."

I will meet the group as they transit through Canon City about 9:30 that will put them at the Trailhead abut 10:00 am.

Since I was such a mooch last trip, I have made a pot of Posole to warm up for lunch, along with spoons and bowls.

Posole.jpg

Reactions: SAS
So I count 2, including myself, meeting at Safeway in the morning?

Can someone let David know that no one is coming from the Springs. I'm at Safeway and no one is here. I'm headed back home.

I'm going anyway, guess you missed out.

It turned out to be a nice day of trail riding. LandLocked93 was the only one that showed up at the first meeting site (Safeway), and decided not to proceed. I was down in Canon City and headed to the Texas Creek trailhead at 10. I snapped a picture of the trail map, last toilet stop, puck up a trail map from the box in the parking lot and after bing there for 15 min. I figured everyone else was a bomb out. I went up trail 6060 and found the end at a mine and headed back out. On the way back down I found old40dog coming up hill. We headed back downhill and then followed the 6040 trail system. We stopped for lunch in the saddle below Table Mountain. Trail 6040 continues on North, wow what a nice trail that gets you up and over Table mountain and a long way to the end. We got back down to the trailhead about 4. and called it a day. That leaves the 6020 trail for future exploration. There were some rocky sections of the trail. I got hung up on a frame rail and Dave hung up on a diff. We both drove out of the hang ups. The point to make for future trips is to be ready for stripes on the truck from both sides, many times on both sides at the same time from brush and sometimes trees. Elevation gain is from 6274 to about 9000 feet.

Texas Creek 1.jpg

Texas Creek 2.jpg

Texas Creek 3.jpg

Texas Creek Map.jpg

Last edited:
Sad I missed this. I still have never been to this area. thanks For the heads up on the brush scratches. The wife would not appreciate me scratching up the 4runner. Have to take the Jeep on this one.
I absolutely love that the map says ’no donuts’ and makes the 20 mph speed limit a bit more bold. It most likely won’t help, but at least it’s there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom