Any Vise Collectors Here? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got this a couple months ago, finally got around to building a stand for it.

PXL_20230329_011252981.jpg

WOW! Haven't seen many of those in circulation yet. Is that the US version? I'd be thrilled with either one. Those are just on another level!
When I initially preordered years ago (Sept 2021) it was supposed to be US made, they switched main production to Taiwanese made about a year ago because of cost changes. They still offer a usa made one for more BUT when the were confirming my preorder in January the lady said that the usa ones are still a year out from being produced and were $3800.

That being said its a very nice built vise, very obvious there was a lot of time spent designing it compared to a few other vises I have on worktables. Pictures don't do justice on how large it actually is. With stand it all weighs about 800lbs, I was worried about tipping it over so I filled the pipe with a bunch of solid steel bar stock and sand.

When I initially preordered years ago (Sept 2021) it was supposed to be US made, they switched main production to Taiwanese made about a year ago because of cost changes. They still offer a usa made one for more BUT when the were confirming my preorder in January the lady said that the usa ones are still a year out from being produced and were $3800.

That being said its a very nice built vise, very obvious there was a lot of time spent designing it compared to a few other vises I have on worktables. Pictures don't do justice on how large it actually is. With stand it all weighs about 800lbs, I was worried about tipping it over so I filled the pipe with a bunch of solid steel bar stock and sand.
Ya, I know there was a lot of heartburn over the COO on them. They look like absolute top-notch quality either way. Your great grandchildren will hopefully enjoy using that!

IMG_0669.jpg
IMG_0670.jpg

This one is very vise related. I landed this little beauty in the foreground yesterday. I decided I really don't need three lol. I'll probably wind up listing it for sale on the other forum. I just need to find a real baby bullet to go with my others. If you haven't seen one of these in person, they are quite impressive. Just a little throw of that lever really holds solid.

@87BJ74 I've heard nothing but great things from the new owners of the hardtail. I want to see that Greenerd!!!! (never seen a 7).

@Mr Wonderful I would be interested in the Pow-R-Arm! Prefer the "flip over" lever over the "slide over" version.

I had a good day today. Found a little Athol 602 1/4 and a Craftsman 5162 (made by Rock Island)

IMG_3449.jpeg

IMG_3450.jpeg

70484359073__3F4DF465-E634-4E8D-AADC-6814DF97DF4C.jpeg

70484370199__B33CF4F8-F443-42CA-AE82-A32875F4D804.jpeg

are we going to see some (minor) brazing intervention?

are we going to see some (minor) brazing intervention?
Not sure yet. It is super small. Once i get the jaws off, I'll know more.

@87BJ74 I've heard nothing but great things from the new owners of the hardtail. I want to see that Greenerd!!!! (never seen a 7).

@Mr Wonderful I would be interested in the Pow-R-Arm! Prefer the "flip over" lever over the "slide over" version.
I'll send you a pm when I get it cleaned up and looked over today. This one is the 301, much heavier duty than the slide over version for sure. The one with the knob on the side in the right of my photo is the 303 hydraulic version. It can hold up to 150LBS!

@RUSH55 The holy grail for me is a 8” (Japanese) Craftsman. They made them in the 7os and early 8os. Look similar to a Columbian. Only seen a couple but they are beautiful vises.

There's not too many of them around. The few I have seen posted from time to time on ebay were super expensive. I happened upon this one from a friend of a friend, guy was retiring out of his old specialty sheet metal die forming business and it was in one of the back rooms. It had been in the building since his father had owned it. I drove 26 hours there and back nonstop in order to pick it up.
Amazingly it was in pretty good shape, no cracks or repairs anywhere on it. No idea on how old it actually is. The design originally had a patent date of 1901 over the years the didn't change the main casting much other than where the embossed letters are and where the gear ratchet mounts. From catalogs I've found on the web it seems to be 1920-40s.

I pulled it apart when I got it back reoiled all the bores and gears. Gave it a new coat of paint because the old recoat was chipping off.

PXL_20220814_004920479.jpg
PXL_20230505_005459592.jpg
PXL_20230505_005513583.jpg

Last edited:
There's not too many of them around. The few I have seen posted from time to time on ebay were super expensive. I happened upon this one from a friend of a friend, guy was retiring out of his old specialty sheet metal die forming business and it was in one of the back rooms. It had been in the building since his father had owned it. I drove 26 hours there and back nonstop in order to pick it up.
Amazingly it was in pretty good shape, no cracks or repairs anywhere on it. No idea on how old it actually is. The design originally had a patent date of 1901 over the years the didn't change the main casting much other than where the embossed letters are and where the gear ratchet mounts. From catalogs I've found on the web it seems to be 1920-40s.

I pulled it apart when I got it back reoiled all the bores and gears. Gave it a new coat of paint because the old recoat was chipping off.

View attachment 3315194View attachment 3315195View attachment 3315196View attachment 3315197
Vert subtle arbor press flex lol. that is a beauty!!

Stumbled on another vise last weekend and had to have it. It's a Morgan 130 with 3 inch jaws and in really good condition. Spent about an hour cleaning it up and will probably leave it be. No great deal on this one, probably about market price.

IMG_1258.jpg
IMG_1259.jpg
IMG_1261.jpg

@87BJ74 I can't imagine what that thing weighs! Thanks for posting it!

@TomH I do this a lot. I'm a sucker for "babied" vises. Happily pay up for condition. Morgans are great tools!

@TomH I do this a lot. I'm a sucker for "babied" vises. Happily pay up for condition. Morgans are great tools!

Yep, I've definitely learned it is better to get a good one then something that is beat up or broken.

Another vise that isn’t mine (maybe I’m wandering out of the scope of the thread, but can’t help it - too good not to share!)
Saw this at one of the local metal scrappers. Owner said it was “one of their tools and not for sale” which is fine and understandable except for it not looking like it gets much use at all, and in fact in pristine condition with an exceptional patina. The only issue looked to be that the original swivel-jaw pin was traded out for a bolt. Very surprised to see something like that in my area.
Reed 403-1/2R

45703BBC-AF13-45F1-9410-FD9C234D57D5.jpeg

0249465B-D248-4A01-AB3F-E50E2F5DCB9A.jpeg

looking at these ^ pics, I just realized that the (this?) swiveling type does not have a built-in anvil. Now, of course, a vise striking surface is not the best tool for serious hammering but can help in a pinch or if you don't have anything else. Are there some swivel jaw vises that do have the anvil?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom