Towing with a 200-series Toyota Land Cruiser (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I really like the ORVs but they don't have a layout that I like better than my Lance 2185. If only the Lance had bigger freshwater, I'd be happy.
I have a 2185. We have 3 jerry cans of water on the LC and I just add 5 gallons a few times if we need more. I often also dump dish water in the toilet which helps extend the gray tank for more showers.

I have used these on my GX and they were fine.

Amazon product ASIN B001AJH1HK
I tried using them on the LX and the mirrors kept folding in above 60 MPH. Maybe my mirrors are worn or out of adjustment somehow but the amount of drag they cause is a problem so I, too, am looking for a good solution with less drag. Clearviews are too expensive and ugly for me.

This is a concern. I find with the following mirrors, I can go to 85mph with almost full extension before buffeting at speed becomes an issue with folding.

Milenco MIL-2912 Grand Aero 3 Towing Mirror - Pair https://a.co/d/064PY6y

I wonder if these would fit. They seem to be for the Tundra/Sequoia, and maybe even the 4runner? I gotta imaging that as long as the height of the mirror is close it should fit. And with the shape, probably less of a chance that wind/speed would be an issue:

I wonder if these would fit. They seem to be for the Tundra/Sequoia, and maybe even the 4runner? I gotta imaging that as long as the height of the mirror is close it should fit. And with the shape, probably less of a chance that wind/speed would be an issue:

A concern is that this wouldn't provide enough extension. Depending on your trailer, whether 7.5', 8', or maximum regulated width of 8.5' wide.

I can see this working for a narrower than 7.5' trailer.

A concern is that this wouldn't provide enough extension. Depending on your trailer, whether 7.5', 8', or maximum regulated width of 8.5' wide.

I can see this working for a narrower than 7.5' trailer.
That's true. I wonder if it woudl be more effective to have some sort of a wireless camera setup instead that can be removed when not in use. Something like this: https://amzn.to/3n6OQOw ??

That's true. I wonder if it woudl be more effective to have some sort of a wireless camera setup instead that can be removed when not in use. Something like this: https://amzn.to/3n6OQOw ??
Idk about side mirrors but I have a remote camera on the back of my camper and it outputs to a screen that’s in the shape of a rear view mirror mounted over the rear view mirror and it’s been great.. it also has a forward facing camera and they record.

I have a wireless rear camera too. Rear camera is a nice luxury, whereas side mirrors are critical IMO. At least that's what I find for my full width 8.5' trailer.

If you ever see a big rig do a wag in lane, it's their way of seeing behind them. I always thought it was just a moment of inattention, until I started towing. I didn't have a rear camera for several years of towing before I added one.

I have a wireless rear camera too. Rear camera is a nice luxury, whereas side mirrors are critical IMO. At least that's what I find for my full width 8.5' trailer.

If you ever see a big rig do a wag in lane, it's their way of seeing behind them. I always thought it was just a moment of inattention, until I started towing. I didn't have a rear camera for several years of towing before I added one.
That makes sense. All my towing is in town. 30 miles each way at most. So I don't ever feel the need for the extended mirrors. But if I was going a few hours away the extended mirrors would be a huge benefit.

I have used these on my GX and they were fine.

Amazon product ASIN B001AJH1HK
I tried using them on the LX and the mirrors kept folding in above 60 MPH. Maybe my mirrors are worn or out of adjustment somehow but the amount of drag they cause is a problem so I, too, am looking for a good solution with less drag. Clearviews are too expensive and ugly for me.
Same. I had them on my GX and no issues…my DS has folded in twice on the same day, but typically when towing I keep it around 60mph and haven’t had any other issues. Headed back out camping next week so I’ll have them on again and report back if any issues.

I'm looking at buying a 200-series Crusier and I will be towing campers and cars. I noticed that the transmission changes in 2016 to an eight-speed and the final gear ratio also changes from 3.9:1 to 3.3:1. Does anyone have experience with this that can comment on whether or not the 2016+ changes to the drivetrain are better or worse for towing?

I'm looking at buying a 200-series Crusier and I will be towing campers and cars. I noticed that the transmission changes in 2016 to an eight-speed and the final gear ratio also changes from 3.9:1 to 3.3:1. Does anyone have experience with this that can comment on whether or not the 2016+ changes to the drivetrain are better or worse for towing?

Towing you're supposed to not to go over 4th gear in a 2015 or earlier, with the 8 speed you're not supposed to go above 6th gear. Putting it in "S" mode and locking the maximum top gear are the directions in the users manual.

Wouldn't recommend a 200 series for full time duty towing campers and cars. Get a diesel truck designed for those kinds of things. Not saying it cannot be done, but an LX is rated to ~7.5k lbs tow rating, the Cruiser is 8500.

If this is for a business, I wouldn't try and exceed the GVM unless you like large regulatory fines/tickets.

Wouldn't recommend a 200 series for full time duty towing campers and cars. Get a diesel truck designed for those kinds of things.
I can sort of agree with that, but not for any reason other than wheelbase. That being said though, i don't tow much.

Not saying it cannot be done, but an LX is rated to ~7.5k lbs tow rating, the Cruiser is 8500.

This is just fake news (not of your origination). The LX can tow way more, better and is more stable with AHC.
There is no rating discrepancy either. If the LC was kitted like the LX, the ratings would be identical.

This is just fake news (not of your origination). The LX can tow way more, better and is more stable with AHC.
There is no rating discrepancy either. If the LC was kitted like the LX, the ratings would be identical.
Lexus says that the max tow rating is actually 7k, not the 7500 I originally thought. This isn't fake news, it's what's published by Lexus.

Again, for a business, with Dept of Trans certifications, etc, I wouldn't recommend going over the gross vehicle max. Not sure how large the regulatory fines are, but I assume they're steep.

Not saying the LX cannot tow more than 7k with ease, but buying one as a dedicated commercial tow vehicle is not something I would personally do.

Lexus says that the max tow rating is actually 7k, not the 7500 I originally thought. This isn't fake news, it's what's published by Lexus.

Again, for a business, with Dept of Trans certifications, etc, I wouldn't recommend going over the gross vehicle max. Not sure how large the regulatory fines are, but I assume they're steep.

Not saying the LX cannot tow more than 7k with ease, but buying one as a dedicated commercial tow vehicle is not something I would personally do.
2008-2010 are still rated at 8500

Yeah again I agree, and I definitely don't want to get into a "technically correct" "institutionally substantiated" back and forth.
Actually, I think I would rather die than do that.

LX definitely tows better than LC though, but LC with AHC tows better than both. The ratings calcs were changed by mandate I believe, that is why the LX was rerated.
It is a much heavier vehicle. So in actual terms, they tow identical loads, just AHC makes it better with the really poor non towing oriented wheelbase of the 200.

If you could get a spartan 200 overseas with AHC, you have one of the best towing SUVs if not the best, ever made.
Thats all I'm saying, and anyone trying to tow commercially with a 200, just don't.
I think it was assumed based on the posters towing back and forth statement.
I would reiterate that is a horrible waste of a use case for a good SUV!

Towing you're supposed to not to go over 4th gear in a 2015 or earlier, with the 8 speed you're not supposed to go above 6th gear. Putting it in "S" mode and locking the maximum top gear are the directions in the users manual.
This is just plain wrong. The only time the manual says to gear down is when you are going downhill to improve engine braking. Read it again

This is just plain wrong. The only time the manual says to gear down is when you are going downhill to improve engine braking. Read it again
1683983448573.png

From the 2017 LX manual

Last edited:
Yeah man you are not supposed to use overdrive gears when towing. No bueno.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom