Post your high-mileage 100-series!!! (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is this a daily driver? With around 24-25 years of use, you have averaged about 18/19k miles a year. Do you think driving it that much helps keep it running well?
It is a daily driver for the most part. I do think constant use would help and much of this is my highway commute to work (my wife is always local in town however), but there are times during a given year that the truck sits for months as other vehicles are used, especially for the >$6.00/gal we paid for gas for a while in California. This Landcruiser has never been babied and the maintenance isn't done at exact milage/times specified nor at the dealer, and I think about proactive maintenance when it comes to mind if you know what I mean. When I have a long road trip coming to the high desert, I check if maint is needed...

2000 LX. Zero engine work, zero tranny work, tranny fluid may have been changed three times, (didn’t get the memo about this 2000 tranny is sure to explode…yet). Zero AHC work and all original AHC parts, changed AHC fluid twice. DS front and rear bearings all original. Cost of ownership extremely low the past 19 years.

A7BBB8CD-A3EF-4F73-BB52-4E58CB492E02.jpeg

9AE1EEF8-44C4-426F-8EBB-1E484F2B72C7.jpeg

My wife's 2006 is just about broke in...
20230429_102118.jpg

Happy ending, truck is fine. Nothing more than a fan/accessory belt that broke as a result of a pully bearing finally failing at 457K. That was a first, wife was driving so her fault.

I've reported on this (bought new) amazing '99 Landcruiser before but now 457K and still runs perfectly. No motor work ever besides maint and wear stuff (alternator, radiator, AC parts, coils, rotors, CV/Axles, worn steering wheel and shift knob), but the valve covers have never been off, zero transmission, diff, rear locking diff, or transfer case work for anything. It tows a 20' salt water fishing boat often, and no rust from launching. The original radio antenna still powers up and down....

Extras include only ARB/OME lift and nice shocks, LEDs all around, better tunes, drilled/slotted rotors (don't warp like factory), and K&N filter since new. Not a drop of oil used in between changes, 14mpg no matter what.

Needs include only to replace the front seat leather which I'll do next.

View attachment 3288564
How is she towing the seacraft? Currently have a 19 foot pathfinder and want to upgrade to a 22 foot pathfinder with dual axel.

Milestone

20230430_075806.jpg

Pink Floyd “Wish You Were Here” just happened to be playing on the radio as it flipped over.

IMG_7376.jpeg

How is she towing the seacraft? Currently have a 19 foot pathfinder and want to upgrade to a 22 foot pathfinder with dual axel.
It tows very well and notably much better after the ARB/OME suspension as it's much more stable now. It's certainly not over-powered with the small V8 but fully adequate and my trips to launch are long, 1 1/2 hours each way by highway. The other things is my boat weights around 3500lbs plus trailer and has no trailer brakes so I was warping factory rotors frequently, then changed to aftermarket slotted/drilled (StopTech??) and EBC green pads and no warping at all. There is no sag with the ARB/OME lift, will do 75mph no prob, no overheating even on long uphill grades and that's the only time I'll use premium unleaded if I remember.

This gentleman went on an interview about his high mileage Mercedes diesels, but can't help bragging about how nice his 300k miles LX470 is throughout the entire interview 😂 :steer: Must be a forum member here.👍

Yeah, it's interesting to hear him speak of the "reliability" and the "ability to go that many miles" (actually, kilometers) about a vehicle for which, by his own admission, has "12 or 13 hundred PAGES of service records!" You've GOT to be kidding me! I suppose ANY car would be capable of that kind of mileage (which isn't uncommon for a 100) if you simply replaced all of it over time. Now, I know the MB Diesels have a reputation of long life, but from my observations of friends and family who have owned these, it's not the engines that are the (sole) problem. It's the rest of the car! Conversely, I have now owned two different 100 series Land Cruisers with above 300,000 miles, and the COMBINED service records I have on those two trucks MAY be 20 pages (and not because they've been neglected, it's because they haven't NEEDED anything much, other than routine maintenance.)

Lastly, a Toyota mechanic friend of mine and I were recently riding down a street in my city, and we pulled up alongside a MB Service / Courtesy truck from a local dealership. It was one of those roadside assistance / wrecker trucks with Mercedes-Benz and the local dealer's name on it. As we were sitting next to it, he pointed at it and asked "ever seen a Toyota or Lexus version of one of those?" Nope!

We have a '99 here at the shop right now with 322631 mi on the clock. Original owner, timing belt only done one time; at 186376 mi.

The fafo philosophy!

218K miles on mine........I kinda feel like you cant really consider these "High Mileage" until they are around 300K. Like every single one I came across was around 200K when looking for mine

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom