What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (71 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

image.jpg

OK, what is and how did you attach the top / over head rack?
I should let the OP respond, but mine is simply a 4' piece of Home Depot closet shelving, zip-tied to the hand holds. Most people create a bracket using the grab bar bolt holes, it's much sturdier, and you could probably buy a set from someone here if you wanted to. Mine doesn't ever carry anything heavy, so I've never felt the need.

You can see it in this somewhat bizarre picture:
Rack.jpeg

Ended up with a few other dads as shaperones for our kid's scouts camping trip. Played around the offroad park while they were learning their knots.

20230507_090542.jpg

IMG_20230508_103423.jpg

Like I have time, but another brain scheme has started.

I like these steps on this 80(I should mention, pic stolen from another member) I’ve reproduced the swing out carrier mounts now I have this template to figure out the 3rd step.

I’m a sucker for punishment 😔

AB3325A9-50B4-4E37-BFA0-B612B7D54270.png

E58C5C8A-C17A-4566-BA19-9E734AFE5397.jpeg

Last edited:
80-series parts truck we have at the shop, no we are not selling parts.

DB1EB042-1313-4E93-95E0-7ADCCC07EEE9.jpeg

It has a really good body, I have decided I am going to chop it into a double cab pickup! 🤘😝🤘

Cheers

Supra studs? Is it a sizing benefit or something else? I didn't know you could use the head bolts from a Supra...? Nice.
The opel kit is perfect except for the two front studs that land under the timing chain sub gear. The Supra studs are about 1/4-1/2 inch too short for most peoples comfort. I have full thread to nut engagement but nothing protruding above the stud on the Supra studs. In the past I just cut the opel studs down and slotted them in the top with a Dremel.

80-series parts truck we have at the shop, no we are not selling parts.

View attachment 3320552

It has a really good body, I have decided I am going to chop it into a double cab pickup! 🤘😝🤘

Cheers
Why don't you trade me bodies with my 97 and chop the body on my rig?

I will even move to Idaho if your down🤣

Why don't you trade me bodies with my 97 and chop the body on my rig?

I will even move to Idaho if your down🤣

I am thinking chops are something we may start offering. 60/80/100, I like to “prototype” on my own Cruisers.

Cheers

Very NICE, thank you for the reply.
Didnt know TSL/SX came in a 37x14.5 flavor. I guess the 12s didnt sell that well.
I had a set of 38x12.5r15s back in the day & loved them.

Thank you! Stripes are something the girlfriend and I did one afternoon after a trip to hobby lobby. 37x14.50 SXIIs on Methods. Very happy with how they worked, still breaking in. Had them down to 8# front, 6# rear to get them to flex as that was the first real weekend out with them. Just some minor tweaking here and there still on mine.

The red one is @halffzj80, not sure if he has anymore pics on here, but I have a few on my phone I can post. He did a really nice job on the cut and tube work. Its unreal how much better it "works" compared to mine. It is a aftermarket FJC grille, but he had talked about swtiching out the stock FJC grille. Its really crazy though how much cutting it made it so much more nimble. Im still full interior, etc, but his was a fricken billy goat losing all the weight in the rear. Its stock gearing, and suspension.... so far. Not sure what his plans are for it next. There was a lot of talk and ideas thrown around over the weekend......

View attachment 3318360

View attachment 3318361

Last edited:
Like I have time, but another brain scheme has started.

I like these steps on this 80(I should mention, pic stolen from another member) I’ve reproduced the swing out carrier mounts now I have this template to figure out the 3rd step.

I’m a sucker for punishment 😔

View attachment 3320495

View attachment 3320496
So you got me thinking now. I got into the body on both sides last weekend rubbing some trees on the trail. What about carrying the middle rod all the way up to just behind the rear door?? Know of anyone that has done this??

Where did you install the Kicker Key 200.4 amplifier? Thanks!
I mounted the amp to the back of the head unit.. Was able to use existing brackets by bending as shown in picture. Very tight fit, a lot of trial and error with wire routing. Very happy with the results. However, this turned out to be a very custom fit with some limitations. For example, cannot leave the tuning microphone installed due to the tight fit. Which means, when I make system changes, I have to remove head unit and amp to run the autotune. Not too big of a deal, just keep that in mind.

Lessons learned:
  • Keep excess wiring to a minimum.
  • Map out on paper, all of your expected wire connections..
  • Use speaker level inputs where possible. These Kicker amps will sing.
  • If using RCA inputs, make sure your headunit has decent preamp voltage. Mine, Alpine Ilx-w650, did not. I wound up using speaker level for front stage and sub amp. Made all the difference in the world.
  • Use Molex connectors for everything.. Learn to crimp.. You will thank me later.
  • Do not solder anything.. While a very secure connection, it is a very secure connection that you more than likely have to cut and redo later.
  • Don't wrap your harness until you are completely finished.. It took me about three times to learn this lesson.
  • When ready to wrap the wires, use wiring harness cloth tape.
  • Have fun!

alpineilxw650-kickerkey.jpg
alpineilxw650-mated-kickerkey.jpg

So you got me thinking now. I got into the body on both sides last weekend rubbing some trees on the trail. What about carrying the middle rod all the way up to just behind the rear door?? Know of anyone that has done this??
No, so what would be the purpose of doing so?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom