Kansas City Missouri Stolen!! My 80 series is missing please help. (Update) Recovered!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Update:
After being missing for over a YEAR, I'm happy to say my 80 has been recovered!! It's a long story but after being stolen and sold again, it ended up in the very capable, and innocent hands of an enthusiast. He put some love into it and only when he went to register it, found out it was stolen. After being recovered by the police, it is now back in my hands and improbably in better shape than when it was stolen. Thanks to a couple members Tornado Alley Cruisers who helped me bring it back home to KC. This community is pretty amazing, thanks all.

LIJ7EgovSDuwBbQyLAXz2Q.jpg

Awesome,
stolen sold fixed and returned.....amazing

Update:
After being missing for over a YEAR, I'm happy to say my 80 has been recovered!! It's a long story but after being stolen and sold again, it ended up in the very capable, and innocent hands of an enthusiast. He put some love into it and only when he went to register it, found out it was stolen. After being recovered by the police, it is now back in my hands and improbably in better shape than when it was stolen. Thanks to a couple members Tornado Alley Cruisers who helped me bring it back home to KC. This community is pretty amazing, thanks all.

View attachment 3320643

Wow. Cruiser Karma. Always comes through.

Good to hear! How did it not wind up owned by the insurance company?

Did you ever get an insurance payout? How does that work if rig is stolen and insurance gives you money than it gets returned?

Congrats either way

Did the buyer receive a fake title? Or was it a "no title" deal? Anyone here ever buy a vehicle is good condition without a title?

Did the buyer receive a fake title? Or was it a "no title" deal? Anyone here ever buy a vehicle is good condition without a title?
The thief, posing as me and with a fake paper drivers license was able to apply for a duplicate title in my name and sell it to a dealer who then sold it to an innocent party who thought they were getting a great deal. The thief to dealer transaction sounds a little off but the dealer did fortunately refund the innocent purchaser the whole purchase price.
I had put my insurance on hold as I was storing my 80 and slowly wrenching on it so no payout to me.
It was in good, stock condition before but now it has a 2” lift and some other maintenance completed. I put new K02s on it and made the trip home. Drove like a dream, after a year, it sure is fun to have that rock solid 80 driving experience😁. I was giddy like a schoolgirl.

Wow, that's one of the more involved schemes to sell a stolen vehicle. Any rec's to make this more difficult to do in the future?

Amazing story, glad you got it back.

Scary however to learn how easy it was for the perp to flip it. Was the thief found, arrested?

The thief, posing as me and with a fake paper drivers license was able to apply for a duplicate title in my name and sell it to a dealer who then sold it to an innocent party who thought they were getting a great deal. The thief to dealer transaction sounds a little off but the dealer did fortunately refund the innocent purchaser the whole purchase price.
I had put my insurance on hold as I was storing my 80 and slowly wrenching on it so no payout to me.
It was in good, stock condition before but now it has a 2” lift and some other maintenance completed. I put new K02s on it and made the trip home. Drove like a dream, after a year, it sure is fun to have that rock solid 80 driving experience😁. I was giddy like a schoolgirl.
This is ****ing awesome. What a great story. Happy for you!

Great story, first time I've heard of a vehicle being returned in BETTER condition than when it disappeared. Just goes to show how cherished these rigs are, even when they're 27 years old.
It sounds like the dealer was not at fault as the thief was pretty thorough in their con job. Unfortunately all the surveillance footage at the dealer was overwritten months ago. Good for them for refunding the money.
How far from KC was it? (miles if you don't want to mention the city)

I know you said it was a long story, I'm sure some would like to hear it.
MJ popcorn.gif

Really glad you got it back and in good shape. I feel, you rarely hear of happy endings (not that type) these days. I am sure others have more sophisticated setups but I put a kill switch and a GPS tracking device on mine. The GPS tracking device is buried and hard to get to - a thief won't be able to disable it in a hurry for sure. I pay $10/month for the cell service - sends me texts the moment you turn the key on the vehicle's location.

Need tougher theft laws

@SJWantsADiesel, do you have to turn the key for the GPS signals to be sent? or will it send if the vehicle starts?
A thief likely won't have the key.
Is it one of the GPS units on amazon that is hidden and and is wired to come on when the ignition or accessory circuits are powered?
I've owned vehicles with multiple kill switches that were all so seamless to activate and deactivate that you couldn't tell what I did to get it to start after I handed my friend the key and told them to try to start it and they couldn't.

Need tougher theft laws
Or maybe actual enforcement of existing laws? Slightly off-topic, but in NYC, 327 individuals were arrested a total of 6,000 times in one year, for shoplifting. Seems like we're heading that way with car thefts as well. That's broken. Stat source: New York Times...

A lot of countries have public canings. Maybe start here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom